www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs

Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs Discussions area for Audi Q7 and Q5 TDI (2009+ in Canada & the US) as well as others with the V6 TDI such as the A6, A7 and A8 sedans.

Old December 11th, 2018, 10:14   #16
whizznbyu
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2005 Variant
Fuel Economy: 44 mpg @ 70 MPH. 46 mpg @ 55 MPH

I best thing an owner can do to help kick the HPFP explosion can down the road is to change the diesel fuel filter every 20K miles. I've read where some people put some special 2 stroke oil in minute amounts in the fuel tank with every fill. Not sure how that will make the HPFP feel; as I understand it, the tolerances of this pump are pretty tight. So tight that if one took a HPFP apart and set the cylinder assembly aside and held the piston in your hands for 5 minutes, the piston expands ever so slightly under body temp that it won't fit in the cylinder at room temp (maybe refrigerated?). This is what I was told by a master mechanic who was trained and briefed on the HPFP in a Cayenne.
My 2009 HPFP disintegrated at around 115K miles. Replaced the HPFP, and entire fuel system forward of the HPFP under warranty believe it or not.
whizznbyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2018, 10:24   #17
dunerking
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 04 Jetta TDI

I use Optilube XPD for a increase in lubricity to help save the HPFP.
04 Jetta-5 speed
dunerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2018, 16:48   #18
Oldboatdriver

Thanks for all the tips, fellas. Monday I bought a very nicely kept, certified 2015 Cayenne Diesel with about 35K miles on it. Bumper-bumper warranty til April 2021. I'd love to post a pic of it, but I can't see how to do that on this forum.

Anyway, I've never driven a Porsche before and WOW this thing drives great. Wonderful low-end torque and grips the road like glue with 265-series tires. All while getting an indicated 27 mpg in mixed driving so far. If the computer is anything like my GSW, I can go ahead and subtract 3 mpg when I do the manual calculation. And dunerking, I ordered Optilube XPD on the same day. My wife is going to have an amazing Christmas gift. I'm jealous. Got a bow for the hood too!

Last edited by Oldboatdriver; December 12th, 2018 at 16:58.
Oldboatdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2018, 19:47   #19
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldboatdriver View Post
Thanks for all the tips, fellas. Monday I bought a very nicely kept, certified 2015 Cayenne Diesel with about 35K miles on it. Bumper-bumper warranty til April 2021. I'd love to post a pic of it, but I can't see how to do that on this forum.

Anyway, I've never driven a Porsche before and WOW this thing drives great. Wonderful low-end torque and grips the road like glue with 265-series tires. All while getting an indicated 27 mpg in mixed driving so far. If the computer is anything like my GSW, I can go ahead and subtract 3 mpg when I do the manual calculation. And dunerking, I ordered Optilube XPD on the same day. My wife is going to have an amazing Christmas gift. I'm jealous. Got a bow for the hood too!

Congrats on your purchase.

2015 Q5 TDI w/ Chipwerke tuner, 36K Miles. Post fix MPG: 33.9
2015 Golf TDI SE, Lighting Package, 16K miles
2011 Touareg TDI (sold back, May 2018); 2015 Golf TDI S (totaled, Oct 2018)
Mythdoc is online now   Reply With Quote