www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old November 9th, 2018, 15:24   #16
peterdaniel
Veteran Member

Honestly, im not so sure what the problem is. MOST people who bought these cars took good care of them and they would NOT resell ones and certify them if they hadnt. I just bought a 2014 Jetta Sportwagen DSG sunroof navigation that has 4091 miles on it. It was first sold in 2015 so I have almost an extra year on top of most 2014's . I paid 16,900. It is certified so 2 years unlimited miles plus the emissions warranty from VW should keep me good until 2025.
Old November 9th, 2018, 15:25   #17
peterdaniel
Veteran Member

I know of many dealers that refuse to deal with the so called dieselgate cars and they ship every one the get back. And I know a bunch of great dealers that buy every one they can get and they cant keep them in stock
Old November 10th, 2018, 06:18   #18
Jetta Knight
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterdaniel View Post
MOST people who bought these cars took good care of them
"MOST" being the operative word there. There was a period where a lot of people purchased these cars having no understanding (or caring about) the care and feeding of diesel cars. However, I never buy used cars with the exception of Corvettes. I have purchased 7 of them with only one new. I know them inside and out.

I only wish you the best of luck with your 2014. With only 4K on the clock it is likely to be a fine vehicle. Nobody before you had it long enough to screw it up.
2013 Passat SE DSG TDI, Tungsten Silver
2016 Subaru Outback Limited
Jetta Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2018, 12:32   #19
akjdouglass
Veteran Member

I will see if I can buy my own TDI following my buyback appointment next week. Dealer is willing to work with me.

If not, no big deal, there are low mileage TDI's out there for the taking.

When Dieselgate broke, my Jetta had about 4,800 miles. It now has 48,000 miles. I've driven this car over 40,000 miles for "free" since then. The decision to continue driving my TDI was a easy one. I was willing to maintain and repair a TDI when I purchased it new, and Dieselgate did nothing to change that.

I my opinion, many of those jumping ship at the earliest opportunity of a buyback left big chunk of change on the table by doing so. Why wouldn't one continue driving a depreciation-proof car for as long a possible?

Anyway, I'll report back how my attempt to repurchase my cash-generating Jetta goes.

akjdouglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2018, 09:39   #20
diecom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta Knight View Post
I am prepared to lose the car if that is the way it goes. However, if it were to go as planned, I would walk away with the car and greater than twice the fix $$$. I obviously want to keep the car but it is 6 years old and, while low mileage, age takes a toll on all of the items not covered in the 10 year warranty. In fact, right now I have the P2026 (DEF heater failure) code. I know that VW now covers that item but it's just the beginning. My idea is that the $16,000 return to me will cover most all potential repairs to the end-of-life of the car. I normally do not keep any vehicle beyond 6-7 years. However, I enjoy this car so much that I would keep it to the bitter end or whenever the $16K was burned-up.
In the same spot also. Bad DEF heater came on in early Spring 2018. I was holding out on what to do earlier because DEF freezes at -11F and that's rare in Michigan. Started following mine around the one family dealer with multiple brands in my area. Was on the lot in October 2015 just after the news broke with $16k plus and 99k on the clock. Was drug rep car and perfect CarFax service record. Passenger and back looked like nobody ever sat in it. Became mine for 9k and change in January 2016 at what I felt was the bottom as the scandal unfolded. Daughter ran 46k miles on it and after much thought and return value, decided to give it back. Likely have a 15 SEL for me and a SE for daughter this week with low 20's on miles when I finalize the return of mine. Mine will cost out of pocket less than 2k and offer 11 years or 160k miles of engine and emissions cost free life. No brainier when the DEF tank is $500 part cost plus install.
diecom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2018, 11:15   #21
Jetta Knight
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diecom View Post
No brainier when the DEF tank is $500 part cost plus install.
I believe that the heater is covered by a silent, or not so silent, extended warranty since there were so many failures and it is, obviously, associated with the emissions. Maybe it depends on mileage.
Old November 12th, 2018, 18:16   #22
AGreen

We’re on our second DEF heater. First one was a fight to get covered. It is emissions equipment. They issued a letter about covering repairs subsequently, so we had it fixed again even though we intend to sell the car back in a few weeks. If possible we would also like to repurchase our car, though that seems unlikely after speaking with the nearby dealerships. Will ask again just before we turn it in...if we don’t find a different replacement car sooner.

Last edited by AGreen; November 12th, 2018 at 18:18. Reason: Not a recal, but a reimbursement letter
AGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2018, 19:52   #23
akjdouglass
Veteran Member

2014 TDI Jetta Value Edition, purchased new for $19,850 + approx. $1,900 tags, title and tax.

Subtract $1,000 Goodwill money, $2,400 hail damage check (white car, average person doesn't even notice the dents) and $24,016 buyback and I'm ahead $5,666 after driving the car 4 years.

Give dealer $9,700 + $775 tags, title and tax to buy it back from VW and my net cost for owning this car from day 1 becomes $4,809 (excluding fuel, ins., maint., etc. that would have been a cost of ownership for any other car).

I assume I'll be getting a check from Bosch, which will bring my OTD "purchase price" closer to $4,500. Now that's what you call a Jetta TDI Value Edition!

akjdouglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2018, 17:11   #24
goodmonkey
Veteran Member

Start Googling the VIN of the car you turn in and see if you can find it listed at another dealership. It could be a thousand miles away. I found my wife's 15 Passat turned over in SC being sold in OH. Never found my old 12 Passat, but I traded that in 4 months before the news broke.

Just an idea.
Previous TDI's: 1996 Passat TDI- totaled at 394k miles, 1998 Passat TDI - 175k miles, 2012 Passat TDI SE - 41k, 1996 Passat TDI Variant - 327k, 2014 Jetta SportWagon TDI 6MT - 29k, 2015 Passat TDI SEL - 18k, 2006 Jetta TDI 5MT - 261k
goodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2018, 15:05   #25
ericy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~49

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmonkey View Post
Start Googling the VIN of the car you turn in and see if you can find it listed at another dealership. It could be a thousand miles away. I found my wife's 15 Passat turned over in SC being sold in OH. Never found my old 12 Passat, but I traded that in 4 months before the news broke.

Just an idea.

I found mine for sale with google - it wasn't far away. If I had wanted to, I could have bought it back at roughly half what I sold it back to VW. I am content with what I have now, and didn't really pursue it.
Giant OCR-2 (bicycle).
ericy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2018, 06:03   #26
hhead
Veteran Member

That’s too bad. I would have like to buy mines back also.
2012 Passat SEL 60k miles. Gonna miss it. Been a great car.
Turn it in next month. Was scheduled this month, but changed to next month.... for hopefully another $600!
Old November 28th, 2018, 10:29   #27
NateDogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by akjdouglass View Post
I my opinion, many of those jumping ship at the earliest opportunity of a buyback left big chunk of change on the table by doing so. Why wouldn't one continue driving a depreciation-proof car for as long a possible?
When I first seen my estimated buyback $$$ I was ready to turn mine in ASAP. After a week of thinking and seeing how much time I had to turn it in I thought I'll just keep driving it as long as possible. I average about 70 miles a week as I live 5 miles from my job. I planned my buy back for 6-1-19 I will have driven about 2,500 more miles between now and then so I hope not to add much more to the polluting of the air. I should have less than 90,000 miles by then.
NateDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2018, 13:58   #28
Jetta Knight
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDogg View Post
I planned my buy back for 6-1-19

Maybe I am mistaken but, doesn't the buyback need to be completed by 12-31-18?
Old November 28th, 2018, 14:29   #29
NateDogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta Knight View Post
Maybe I am mistaken but, doesn't the buyback need to be completed by 12-31-18?
You're right about the 2.0 liters but I have a Q7 Gen 1 3.0 liter. Our ruling came later so we have until 9-30-19 to it turn in.
NateDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2018, 20:09   #30
DieselMann99
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akjdouglass View Post

I completely agree. I just turned mine in a couple of weeks ago. 5½ years of ownership, 95k miles, zero depreciation. Actually, when you count the $1,000 debit cards and the Bosch settlement, I made money driving the car for 5½ years and 95k miles.
DieselMann99 is offline   Reply With Quote