www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old April 30th, 2014, 11:23   #1
manual_tranny
Smyth Performance- Intern

Fuel Economy: Is just one piece of the puzzle that is our bottomless appetite for oil. Cars donít have to be consumable. Instead of throwing them away, we can rebuild them, better. We have the technology.
Talking Smyth UTE - the MKIV Jetta/Golf Pickup Conversion kit is HERE!

We've been working hard at Smyth Performance to bring you the Jetta/Golf pickup truck conversion kit. The kit won't be ready to ship for a couple more months while we tool up... but I know a lot of you folks will be excited about this latest creation.

Forgive the bondo - customer kits will include complete body panels - we use bondo to finish making the correct shapes. Customers will have some body work to do, nothing like you see in our prototype.

Working tailgate from a Ford Ranger Flareside
Taillights and rear body from Jetta Wagon + Explorer Sportrac
Rear Window slides open, from Toyota pickup
Wheel wells and bed will hold most ATVs and motorcycles under 750lb
Exceptionally strong aluminum extrusions for the bed
Easy access to the spare tire and fuel pump under the bed!

I can't wait for production! There are going to be a lot of fun things we can do with this vehicle. Custom 5th wheel setups and ultralite teardrop trailers should be getting 40mpg! Racks for ladders and custom toolboxes will make an extremely utilitarian little Jetta! OR you could be the first to show up to the autocross or track with your custom super high power FWD pickup!

As you can see, our prototype is a bit of a low-rider...

My Ute will be lifted, of course, with a big steel front bumper and winch.

Last edited by manual_tranny; August 1st, 2014 at 09:15.
manual_tranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 11:43   #2
bigsexyTDI
Veteran Member

I still want one for a Beetle... grumble grumble

Looks great Mike
bigsexyTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 12:27   #3
bennybmn
Veteran Member

Looks interesting! What's been done to the cab to reinforce the structure? I mean it started life as a unibody car...
Old April 30th, 2014, 13:07   #4
manual_tranny

Fuel Economy: Is just one piece of the puzzle that is our bottomless appetite for oil. Cars donít have to be consumable. Instead of throwing them away, we can rebuild them, better. We have the technology.

Structurally, the truck is overbuilt. There is a rollbar that is integral to the rear cab. The bedsides and front are tubular trusses reinforced with thick 1/8" steel gussets AND 1/16" steel. Just like our mid engined car, this machine is a brick house. We tie into all the pertenent reinforced parts of the unibody so that we can make our finished product stronger than the original vehicle.
Old April 30th, 2014, 16:50   #5
dremd
Veteran Member

Very cool.
Subscribed.
Now watching for a rear ended Jetta.
2006 Sprinter
2014 JSW (Went back to VW)
dremd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 17:18   #6
manual_tranny

Quote:
Originally Posted by dremd View Post
Very cool.
Subscribed.
Now watching for a rear ended Jetta.
Thanks!

Don't get a car that is too mangled... we don't chop as much off to make the truck as we do to make the G3F! We also tie into the rear shock mount area and wheel wells... any useful material is reused, mostly to make up the bottom of our bed sides' trusses.

For this prototype we welded in the rear doors to get the shape, but future builds will have fiberglass molds to cover the rear doors which we remove. Since the rear doors are part of the structure of the car, we have made sure to reinforce this area well.
Old April 30th, 2014, 17:40   #7
dremd
Veteran Member

Happen to have any pics showing what areas are needed to be good/ existing etc?

I tried to stop by to see you at SEMA (local motors, right?) but you weren't around and we were in a rush.
2006 Sprinter
Old April 30th, 2014, 18:05   #8
manual_tranny

Quote:
Happen to have any pics showing what areas are needed to be good/ existing etc?

I tried to stop by to see you at SEMA (local motors, right?) but you weren't around and we were in a rush.
I'll post some pictures tomorrow to help show what we use...

We are Smyth Performance, and we are an independent company. While we are not Local Motors and we are not Factory Five Racing, Mark is the founder of Factory Five racing and he helped found Local Motors. He is on the board of directors at Local Motors with Jay Rogers and Bree Pettis, the founder of MakerBot.

The Smyth Performance team is small but dedicated. Mark and I are on R&D, ordering materials, setting up tools, tech support, writing the manuals, maintaining shop vehicles, etc. I asked for an internship, and I got my dream job.. but like many startup dream jobs, it's a lot of work!
Old April 30th, 2014, 18:08   #9
dremd
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manual_tranny View Post
I'll post some pictures tomorrow to help show what we use...

We are Smyth Performance, and we are an independent company. We are not Local Motors and we are not Factory Five Racing. Mark founded Factory Five racing and he helped found Local Motors... he is on the board of directors at Local Motors with Jay Rogers and Bree Pettis, the founder of MakerBot.

The Smyth Performance team is small but dedicated. Mark and I are on R&D, ordering materials, setting up tools, tech support, writing the manuals, maintaining shop vehicles, etc. I asked for an internship, and I got my dream job.. but like many startup dream jobs, it's a lot of work!

I know who you guys are, but for some reason I came across the info that Mark was hanging out at a certain booth at SEMA 13, (some note about never bringing unfinished projects). But it sounds like that info was incorrect.
2006 Sprinter
Old April 30th, 2014, 18:17   #10
manual_tranny

Quote:
I know who you guys are, but for some reason I came across the info that Mark was hanging out at a certain booth at SEMA 13, (some note about never bringing unfinished projects). But it sounds like that info was incorrect.
OH! Yes he was at SEMA with Local Motors that day! Sorry I forgot about that!
Old April 30th, 2014, 18:25   #11
xbiker423
Veteran Member

Woah. This looks like a really cool concept. Are you guys actually in New Bedford? I have no idea where that is in MA, but it can't be that far. I may be interested in swinging by sometime....
2003 Jetta Wagon GL TDI - FM-100 w/5 micron filter, Euroswitch, rear fog, Hella Micro DEs w/3k HIDs, Frostheater, Panzer Plate, Tinted Aspherical mirrors, Air Lift kit, vnt1749vb, DLC 764, TacoTaco SMIC, 1.8t pp, 3 bar MAP, Kerma tune, McNally Boost/EGT, FMH w/Wavetrac, E-Codes, Koni STr.T, 2.5" turbo back, W8 FIS, sport leathers
xbiker423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 18:40   #12
Turboguy

TDI(s): Golf, Passat

Subscribed
Nice Work. Any details on availability and cost?
Turboguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 18:43   #13
manual_tranny

We're in Wareham, I just live in New Bedford. Give me a call if you want to stop by, we are happy to have visitors most days.

(810) 394-5040

Mike

We have been able to keep the price at $3500, and by making the kit in pieces we are able to avoid freight shipping. Costs have been kept down, but make no mistake, this is a beefy reinforced frame that keeps the Jetta frame from twisting.

www.facebook.com/smythperformance

Last edited by manual_tranny; April 30th, 2014 at 18:50.
Old April 30th, 2014, 19:05   #14
aslspiderman
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 98 Jetta
Fuel Economy: Really good!

Just a curiosity question--why are the wheel wells inside the bed so tall and run out so far toward the back?

BTW love the concept. I wish we could still get the caddy here.

Last edited by aslspiderman; April 30th, 2014 at 19:08.
aslspiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 19:23   #15
manual_tranny

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslspiderman View Post
Just a curiosity question--why are the wheel wells inside the bed so tall and run out so far toward the back?

BTW love the concept. I wish we could still get the caddy here.
Lots of reasons!

1. We thought the teardrop fenders looked awesome
2. We can have them produced for us in steel for a reasonable cost (tooling already exists for these dimensions)
3. They are very strong
4. Jetta/Golf wheel wells are enormous, (especially the one on the passenger side of the car), so they need enormous covers
5. We presume that an ATV can ride up over the wheel wells and securely fall into place
6. It's a BA hotrod Jetta truck and it has a lot of style!