www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old September 10th, 2018, 07:48   #1
NorCalTDI79

Default 2012 VW Golf TDI - Bad DPF declined by VW

I have a small battle on my hands between VW of America and the local dealer (Folsom Lake VW) after it has been determined that CEL & code P2002 that the DPF IS bad. Soot in the tailpipe and build up in the DPF filter that the DPF/catalytic converter assembly need to be replaced on my 2012 VW Golf TDI The dealer and VW of America is refusing to help after their Master Tech noted that my car had a replacement K&N Filter element in the factory airbox. Nobody at the dealer has ever made mention in the past that this could potentially void the warranty.

The backstory on the car. 2012 Golf TDI, 91,XXX miles, and had the "fix" done appx 8K ago. I've done all of the maintanence, changed the oil every 5K, and the car has never had an issue. I love the car still despite it not feeling the as good as it did before the fix and loss of MPG.

I know that there is an extended warranty on the exhaust and emission system on TDI vehicles that had undergone the "fix"

Can anyone offer up any suggestions? I do live in California so doing a DPF delete and so it's not a feasible option. The dealer wants appx 2700.00 to perform the repair.

Any advice is appreciated and will try to upload an image of the service paperwork.

Mods, if I posted this in the wrong area, please notify me and move thread.

Last edited by NorCalTDI79; September 10th, 2018 at 07:57.
NorCalTDI79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2018, 08:13   #2
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Should the dealer have done an inspection of your car to tell you, in advance, that your K&N filter would void a warranty for a future problem? As long as you are paying them money, all is cool. It’s when you want to make a warranty claim that they start looking for disqualifying evidence. (This, by the way, is what I keep telling the dieselgate ECU tuners.)

There is a lot of wisdom on this website explaining why using a K&N filter is a bad idea. Why did you put one in?

2015 Q5 TDI w/ Chipwerke tuner, 36K Miles. Post fix MPG: 33.9
2015 Golf TDI SE, Lighting Package, 16K miles
2011 Touareg TDI (sold back, May 2018); 2015 Golf TDI S (totaled, Oct 2018)
Mythdoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2018, 09:34   #3
KITEWAGON
Veteran Member

I would take this up with K&N. They claim that this filter will not void your warranty and that they will help you fight it. Please follow up to let us know how this plays out for you. K&N filters get you insta-flamed on this forum, but it still sounds like a BS reason to void your warranty to me. I know their filters aren't popular here, but I'll be curious to see if they stand by it "100%" and get this fixed for you.

https://www.knfilters.com/filtercharger.htm

K&N Consumer Protection

The K&N Consumer Protection Plan goes a step further than the K&N Million Mile Limited Warranty. At times, the performance aftermarket has been plagued by automotive manufacturers and auto dealers that may attempt to discourage you from modifying your vehicle. They would prefer that you buy OE parts and not customize your car or truck and have even voided their own manufacturer's warranty due to vehicle modifications. K&N and the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act protect consumers from such denied warranty claims. When you buy a K&N OE replacement filter or air intake system you can be confident your vehicle's warranty will remain in effect. If you encounter a dealership that wants to void your warranty because of one of our products, K&N will resolve the issue so you won't have to. We believe K&N makes The World's Best Air Filter and we stand behind that claim 100 percent.
KITEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2018, 09:38   #4
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

They won't do anything for you. Because they will claim it had nothing to do with the failure. Which would be correct. I still think they are a joke anyway, but if VoA is going to void your warranty claim, not much you can do. Get a lawyer I guess. But that will likely cost more than the repairs.
Old September 10th, 2018, 10:11   #5
NorCalTDI79

Thanks for the feedback, and I am all ears. I have started a claim with K&N Filters and have been copying them and the regional VW case manager with several emails.

The car has been to this particular dealer before and not once has the service advisor pulled me to the side and said anything about it voiding the warranty if problems arise in the future.

I didn't know that K&N Filters got a bad rap around here, the car is stock with the excepion of a Bilstein Pro Kit and an AWE Tuning Touring cat back dual exhaust.

Maybe I'm learning a tough lesson here. My tenth VW and second Golf TDI and must say this is the worst I've ever experienced. If VW would cover it, then I'd keep the car and hand it off to my son. At 2,700.00 as much of a diehard VW guy that I may be there is no love for this car at that point.

I think I can still exercise the buyback option after they've performed the "fix", correct or no?
Old September 10th, 2018, 10:14   #6
flargabarg
Veteran Member

No. If they have done the fix you are no longer eligible for the buyback. If you do not yet have the paperwork in for the buyback you are also not eligible for it at this point.
flargabarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2018, 10:24   #7
NorCalTDI79

Quote:
Originally Posted by flargabarg View Post
No. If they have done the fix you are no longer eligible for the buyback. If you do not yet have the paperwork in for the buyback you are also not eligible for it at this point.
Thank you! I can get an oem DPF at cost, or get one from a local dismantler that would sell one on the hush.

Looks like I will have to repair it on my own unless K&N or VW steps up.

Last edited by NorCalTDI79; September 10th, 2018 at 10:29.
Old September 10th, 2018, 10:49   #8
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Search here as there is a procedure you must go through IIRC when replacing the dpf. I don't think it is just a bolt up and go option.
Old September 10th, 2018, 10:54   #9
drsven
Veteran Member

Since you’re in California, you may want to reach out to CARB to make them aware of this incident.
drsven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2018, 15:33   #10
Dannyboy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 2014- 1168km per tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsven View Post
Since you’re in California, you may want to reach out to CARB to make them aware of this incident.
Depending on what type of K&N he has, that's a double edged sword. He has to have CARB approve the modification even though it's rock filter....er I mean air filter

Probably land him in deep water, I know cali regs have come down hard on modification of any type. Also been a TDI after the scandal the chances of it being approved are slim to none
Dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2018, 16:14   #11
bglf83

TDI(s): Jetta

How are they indicating the air filter was related to the DPF failure?

I would act calmly and ask for them to explain the required specifications the air filter must meet.
bglf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2018, 19:27   #12
NorCalTDI79

This is a response from the VW case manager:

The use of aftermarket air filters is not supported as the system was designed and calibrated to work with factory air filters. Use of aftermarket air filters such as cotton bed steel mesh or cone style, can cause the MAF sensor to not read accurately, affecting vehicle performance and critical monitoring functions for the diesel particulate filter. At this point it has been determined the failure is due to your aftermarket air filter and repairs would not be covered under warranty.

Thanks for the suggestions and discussion on this.
Old September 10th, 2018, 19:49   #13
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Looks like you are in for a fight if you want to pursue this. This is something that has been discussed here a lot. Oil contaminating the MAF. They do have a point in what they claim. Have you been doing the washing and re oiling or has the dealer? Do you or them have MAF readings to back up your story? I would imagine it will cost you more to pursue it than the repair. This will also probably follow for the life of your car. VW is going to be on the hook for a long time on warranty issues post dieselgate and I have argued that they may get picky on stuff like this in order to reduce warranty repair costs. If you value the warranty use only OEM parts and don't modify anything.
Old September 11th, 2018, 03:48   #14
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

It has always been puzzling to me why anyone would bother to use these air filters in the first place, as they do NOTHING positive, and you cannot force feed a tiny little turbocharger by installing one anyway.

However, given the all-too-common issue of the DPF cracking (Volkswagen has a TSB about this, nothing new), and the fact that there is pretty much zero chances of an aftermarket air filter causing this*, I don't know what to say. Besides, no idea why the dealer would really care one way or the other, Volkswagen is the one footing the bill, and it isn't likely they are requesting the old air filter from the car. That is just dumb.

*now, increased cylinder bore wear, turbine blade wear, and yes MAF values being off as well as outright failure, can and does happen with these subpar air filters. It has been proven in labs outside those of K&N, but the marketing folks are still making money. So, I'd say let K&N fight for you... I still think they'll do nothing.
Old September 11th, 2018, 07:27   #15
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalTDI79 View Post
The car has been to this particular dealer before and not once has the service advisor pulled me to the side and said anything about it voiding the warranty if problems arise in the future.

Since you have repeated this argument, I’ll state again: they have no responsibility, and you have probably not given them enough incentive, to troubleshoot your vehicle for future warranty issues. That is, on the other hand, what a forum like this does best, serve as a resource for owners to educate themselves in order to protect and advocate for ourselves. The buyer must protect himself/herself. The dealer will not protect us. Corporate will not protect us. They would like our repeat business, of course, but they don’t do what we want them to do fairly often, I have learned. Our standard of loyalty from them and their standard of loyalty from us do not overlap enough in the real world.

Case in point: the 2.0 L gasser oil consumption issues. VW and Audi are still comping engine rebuilds for owners who have demonstrated perfect loyalty (dealer servicing, multiple cars from the company). Anything less than this level of loyalty, you are going to be told to pound sand.

2015 Q5 TDI w/ Chipwerke tuner, 36K Miles. Post fix MPG: 33.9
2015 Golf TDI SE, Lighting Package, 16K miles
2011 Touareg TDI (sold back, May 2018); 2015 Golf TDI S (totaled, Oct 2018)
Mythdoc is online now   Reply With Quote