www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old April 18th, 2018, 09:18   #1
Judson
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta
Default MK4 side mirror upgrade - turn signal, power folding, puddle lights possible?

Hey folks -

Anybody know if there's an upgrade out there that has all these features for a MK4? I'd love to have something that looks sharp, especially with a turn signal and a puddle light. Power folding ones are of lower importance to me, and it's been covered here already: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...folding+mirror

I've done some research and it appears pretty complicated, and over at the 'tex the links to the pics are broken thanks to Instagram, so the information is very very incomplete. The closest I've found is a MK5 into a MK4 thing over at black forest industries, but the product is no longer available.

TIA!

Jud.
2001 Jetta TDI, converted to manual, black leather/red stiching, PP520s, rc4, franko6 cam, 11mm pump, VNT 17, PD150 intake, EGR/cooler delete, 2.5" Buzzken exhaust, PD150 clutch/flywheel, DRW six-speed, Eurojet intercooler, 3bar MAP, FIS Cluster, Cupra bushings, Koni Reds/stock springs, Alpine iLX-207, foglights, Indiglo boost gauge, Longbeach wheels, Euro wood steering wheel, lift pump, Gentex autodim/homelink mirror.

Last edited by Judson; April 18th, 2018 at 09:26.
Judson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2018, 10:22   #2
RexNICO
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

I've had visions of doing similar (w/ priority on side auto-dim) for years and have collected many parts (sold some off), but never got too far.

I have had the following complete assemblies & some car side harness pieces ...
Passat B5.5 power folding w/ turn signal covers, may still have a set somewhere
MK5 w/ turn signal covers, may still have a set somewhere
MK6 w/ turn signal covers, may still have a set somewhere
Audi A6/C6 power folding w/ puddle lights, may still have a set somewhere
Audi allroad/C5 power folding w/ auto-dim function, may still have a set somewhere
Audi A4/B6 power folding w/ auto-dim function, may still have a set somewhere
Audi A4/B5 w/ auto-dim function, may still have a set somewhere

Somewhere in the garage (moved last Nov) should be a box with 12-14 sets of side mirrors, if I can ever get out into the garage to go through the boxes I might be able to help you with some parts.

Wish I could be more help

Last edited by RexNICO; April 18th, 2018 at 10:28.
RexNICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2018, 07:29   #3
Judson
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

Thanks RexNICO.

The only thing I've found now is a MK5 look for MK4s, with integrated turn signals, from BFI:

https://store.blackforestindustries....gomkmicle.html

No power folder, no puddle lights, but at least it's something.
2001 Jetta TDI, converted to manual, black leather/red stiching, PP520s, rc4, franko6 cam, 11mm pump, VNT 17, PD150 intake, EGR/cooler delete, 2.5" Buzzken exhaust, PD150 clutch/flywheel, DRW six-speed, Eurojet intercooler, 3bar MAP, FIS Cluster, Cupra bushings, Koni Reds/stock springs, Alpine iLX-207, foglights, Indiglo boost gauge, Longbeach wheels, Euro wood steering wheel, lift pump, Gentex autodim/homelink mirror.

Last edited by Judson; April 20th, 2018 at 07:34.
Judson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2018, 13:30   #4
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2018 to end of April 2019

Just a thought, my 2015 Passat has the puddle lights in the bottom of the doors.
Maybe do something like that?
All LED interior bulbs. Several VCDS mods. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Malone DSG tune. Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes. LED DRL's. 24mm H&R rear sway bar. Phase 1 & Phase 2 done.
Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2018, 16:17   #5
RexNICO
Veteran Member

I’m pretty sure one of the sets I have with the integrated turn signals also has an indentation on the bottom the same shape as the puddle light on the A6/C6.

It’s definitely going to be a frankstien creation to get the things you want.
Old February 20th, 2019, 04:42   #6
benmarks
Veteran Member

I am about to try and do this same thing, sans the blinkers. I have acquired new (I Just got bonus at work) parts from various places and I have triple checked and am confident everything is correct. But this has not been cheap so if you do more research, you can definitely do it for less with used Jetta or Passat parts. I took the easy way out by getting all Bora/Jetta GLX parts, Skoda puddle lights and Audi mirror glass. I have a 2004 car so I made sure to get the parts for Canbus cars (where relevant):

Mirror Left - 1J1857507G 01C
Mirror Right - 1J1857508G 01C
Window Motor Left - 1C0959801B 017
Window Motor Right - 1C0959802C 017
Door Switch - 1J1959565 A
Puddle Light Left- 3U0945291C 01C
Puddle Light Right- 3U0945292C 01C
Puddle Light Lower Trim Left - 3U0857603C 01C
Puddle Light Lower Trim Right - 3U0857604C 01C
Auto-dimming Mirror Glass Left - 8D0857535F
Auto-dimming Mirror Glass Right - 8D0857536N
Auto-dimming Rearview Mirror with 5 Wires (Black) - 3B0857511C01C

I also acquired a set of power memory seats from a Jetta GLX to support the mirror memory function and I got the corresponding Kufatec harness.

With that said, I haven't found a way to implement turn signals. The MK5 mirror shape is completely different so I wouldn't be able to add these puddle lights or mirror glass from what I understand. I'd have to go in a different direction to add turn signals.

I have not installed any of this yet, however. Some parts are still arriving and I am coordinating this with also doing headlight washers, rear park distance sensors, interior motion sensors and a ColorMFA cluster installation. I have a lot of work ahead of me. I may post a tutorial when I am done to compliment the old ones already out there with broken links and images.

I do know it's a lot of wiring. The folding feature has wiring and the auto-dimming glass has separate wiring up to the auto-dimming rearview mirror. The puddle lights also have some wiring. And, if you want to add the auto-dimming side mirror glass, you need to already have wired the auto-dimming rearview mirror and rain sensor and have the appropriate 192 relay.
2004 Jetta TDI: VNT17, PowerPlus 1043 injectors, DieselKen exhaust, VXTuning HID's, Exor wheels, GLI interior, Roadwire leather, Bilstein Sports, 20th/337 brakes, MK5 antenna, illuminated shifter, ColorMFA Euro cluster, Malone stage 4, rain sensing wipers, auto-dimming mirror

Last edited by benmarks; February 20th, 2019 at 04:47.
benmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2019, 09:39   #7
RexNICO
Veteran Member

All I can say is WOWZERS, that's a lot of NEW OEM parts.

Best of luck to you.