www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old August 30th, 2017, 06:44   #1
skycrane

Default Got the "fix" friday, got P0401 code today :)

Hey Guys, as the title says, i got the "fix" done on my Audi on friday, and was driving into work today and what do you know, my CEL pops up for P0401....

Just a bit of background on the car, i had a Malone Stage 2 and DSG tune running when dropped off, ive got a cracked DPF and baked on soot on the tail pipe that i tried cleaning off with brake cleaner, and P0401 codes that pop up every day after i clear them. When i droped the car off to get the "fix" i cleared the codes 3 times that morning.

So ive been wondering these last few days, what the dealer did to stop my CEL from lighting up. It was pointed out on another thread that the "fix" would increase the values that would triggger a P0401 code
Old August 30th, 2017, 14:19   #2
loop7

I hope others report post-fix CEL issues as well. I think it's important we play extremely hard ball with dealers for quite a while after the fixes are completed.
loop7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2017, 14:32   #3
In the Red
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loop7 View Post
I hope others report post-fix CEL issues as well. I think it's important we play extremely hard ball with dealers for quite a while after the fixes are completed.
When I read warranty there is language in there that says all disputes will be in favor of customer so Once fix is done I think VW is on the hook
In the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2017, 14:34   #4
In the Red
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycrane View Post
Hey Guys, as the title says, i got the "fix" done on my Audi on friday, and was driving into work today and what do you know, my CEL pops up for P0401....

Just a bit of background on the car, i had a Malone Stage 2 and DSG tune running when dropped off, ive got a cracked DPF and baked on soot on the tail pipe that i tried cleaning off with brake cleaner, and P0401 codes that pop up every day after i clear them. When i droped the car off to get the "fix" i cleared the codes 3 times that morning.

So ive been wondering these last few days, what the dealer did to stop my CEL from lighting up. It was pointed out on another thread that the "fix" would increase the values that would triggger a P0401 code
Your dpf is cracked and even though they replaced egr filter the low pressure egr mounted on the egr cooler is stuck. On their dime. Bring it back.
In the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2017, 05:01   #5
740GLE
Veteran Member

On their dime unless they prove it was broken before the warranty was extended, but then they should have denied the warranty extension if they dug into it.

Best of luck report back, your results. I bet you get a whole new exhaust system on VW dime.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2017, 12:26   #6
skycrane

cleared the codes yesterday on the drive home, and they showed back up this morning. it was 5 days for the first codes to come back, less then a day this time. Im definalty having them replace it. i bet as hard as i drive it, i can get this new one to crack before the extend warrenty expires as well... hehe
Old August 31st, 2017, 12:48   #7
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Hello NoVA neighbor and fellow SDL owner!

I think we're going to be seeing more stories like this as VW struggles to keep cars CEL-free during the extended warranty period.
Old September 1st, 2017, 08:38   #8
skycrane

hey Neghibor.. ill be taking it to the dealer who did the " fix" on tuesday. And let yall know what they say.... luckily its the Low Flow EGR code, so that is definatly under the new warrenty hehe
Old September 5th, 2017, 08:03   #9
skycrane

just an update, been driving the car all weekend, and now the CEL is going on then off, then comming back on again. Hopefully when i bring it by today they can read the stored codes in it and will be able to fix it. lol
Old September 5th, 2017, 09:35   #10
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I'm surprised they fixed the car. I guess clearing the codes multiple times and the oven cleaner "fix" on the DPF got the preexisting failure past VW. I'll be interested in how they respond when you bring it back.
Old September 5th, 2017, 10:04   #11
MonsterTDI09
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

I was thinking about doing the same thing. VW should include 10-14 to replace the DPF like for the 09. My question is can Jeff undo all the changes they made to the ECM and put back his tunes
Old September 5th, 2017, 10:24   #12
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterTDI09 View Post
My question is can Jeff undo all the changes they made to the ECM and put back his tunes
Answer: Yes.
Old September 5th, 2017, 11:47   #13
93celicaconv
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterTDI09 View Post
My question is can Jeff undo all the changes they made to the ECM and put back his tunes
Who is "Jeff"? Who provided the previous tune?
93celicaconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 11:55   #14
forrest resto`s
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93celicaconv View Post
Who is "Jeff"? Who provided the previous tune?
I believe they mean jeff of "rocket chip" He does some mighty fine tunes.. Did my 2000 jetta about 10 years ago and it flies and gets fantastic mpg" also!
forrest resto`s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 12:06   #15
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Keep in mind that if you brought your car in for the "fix" and it bore any evidence of DPF issues - be it stored or pending trouble codes or visible soot in the tailpipe or any other such thing - the dealer and/or technician did you a MAJOR favor by choosing to overlook whatever that evidence was, so don't complain about it!

Drive it around for a month or two, bring it back with the MIL on and trouble code set for them to fix, and bring coffee and donuts for the technician and service advisor ...

And as usual, I would STRONGLY advise against any aftermarket tuning on these cars until your new extended warranty has passed.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote