www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old May 10th, 2017, 17:39   #1
philshizle

Default Bsm delete and 5 speed swap advice

I have a DUK trans on the way and ordering an alh/brm bsm delete as well as a timing belt kit from Roselandtech for a relative's passat wagon. I'm looking for some advice regarding the best way to approach this project. I have shop space but no lift, engine hoist or support bar. I'm leaning towards purchasing an engine support bar that can be used with future jobs. Then taking the entire front clip off and removing the transmission and subframe. Then do the bsm delete and timing belt first before moving on to the wiring, clutch lines, and installing the new transmission.

I have a couple questions regarding this process:

Would renting an engine hoist and pulling the transmission and engine togethor be easier? Is it simply personal preference?

If I were to use the engine support bar is it worth removing the front clip? Or should I simply move it to the service position. It's my understanding that the only advantage to this is to avoid disconnecting the A/C. The atf will need to be disconnected as well but because I'm swapping the tranny that needs to be done either way, correct? That's a bit of a gray area for me in my research.

Also I have been referencing the geared module upgrade .pdf for the bsm delete process and am just looking to confirm that it is okay to completely remove the subframe when doing the delete? I wasn't able to determine any reason it couldn't be.

Thanks for the incredibly informative forum everyone.

Last edited by philshizle; May 10th, 2017 at 17:41. Reason: Specifying details
philshizle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 07:14   #2
Nash_TDI
Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: 63.25mpg max

Might as well do a cam too.

I have not done it all at once before so i typically leave it int he car and do service position or drop subframe to do a trans swap. I am doing it all like you this summer on another car and pulling engine and trans I think together out the front. I have all the hoist support bars, etc.
PD Cam tools, BSM tool, VE & PD TB tool rental available.
Nash_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 09:01   #3
zzdiesel
Veteran Member

I have just finished pulling the tranny on my passat to replace the torque converter. Previously I pulled the engine and transmission together to do the Tranny swap on my other passt as well as a BSM delete. I found I much preferred to pull the two together and do the work on the bench. You don't have to evacuate the AC, just remove the compressor and condenser and hang it aside. Main thing with this process is dealing with the wiring. With the front off it is relatively easy to pull the engine and transmission together.
zzdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 10:12   #4
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

I did them both at the same time, and left the engine in the car. No access to a hoist. As above, just set the ac components aside. No need to evacuate the refrigerant.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!

Last edited by Windex; May 12th, 2017 at 05:21.
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 19:21   #5
vwztips
Veteran Member

With no lift, I suggest pulling them both at the same time since you need to the delete too. That way you can easily get to all the oil pan holes as well as drill and tap the oil return hole for the delete. Just unplug the harness in the ECU housing area and lay it on the engine. Pretty straight forward process.
vwztips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 05:27   #6
philshizle

Thanks for the tip about the ac. So would it be worth it to rent and engine hoist then? I don't see myself needing one in the future too often.
Old May 12th, 2017, 09:06   #7
zzdiesel
Veteran Member

Your call on the hoist. I don't know the cost but it would sure limit your under the car time.
zzdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 12:39   #8
stamp11127
Veteran Member

Don't know about you young guys but laying on a good creeper does have a few advantages for us ol timers.
There is a current thread on here where a member did pull both together and lost throttle response when cold after reassembly. Since his issue hasn't been resolved to this date I would consider pulling the trans by itself.

http://www.forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=470498
Old May 12th, 2017, 17:53   #9
QuickTD
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamp11127 View Post
Don't know about you young guys but laying on a good creeper does have a few advantages for us ol timers.
There is a current thread on here where a member did pull both together and lost throttle response when cold after reassembly. Since his issue hasn't been resolved to this date I would consider pulling the trans by itself.

http://www.forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=470498
I think that's a stretch. I've had lots of them out pulling as a unit, no problems to report. I can have the engine/trans out in a couple hours. Much easier to work on this way. It's the only way I'd do a manual swap.
QuickTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 13:30   #10
vwztips
Veteran Member

/\ditto/\
vwztips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2017, 05:40   #11
Nash_TDI
Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: 63.25mpg max

I dropped the motor too much one time and pulled out the vac line to the brake booster, but only thing I've ever ran into.
PD Cam tools, BSM tool, VE & PD TB tool rental available.
Nash_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2017, 09:16   #12
mgoff5000
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 Jetta, 30 Passat (MPG)

As someone who did the BSM delete with the engine supported from above, I envy everyone showing pics working on the same job with the engine out.

Not to mention getting to do the tandem/pump and coolant flange with that kind of space..nice. Not an option in my garage/household but if I could I'd consider it.
mgoff5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2017, 05:23   #13
philshizle

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm going to find an engine hoist and will pulling it out with the front end off. I don't feel like buying a transmission jack or bench pressing the auto out. I'm still a little unsure if I need tool T10255 to do the delete. I see it is necessary for the geared module install just wasn't sure if I needed when going with the alh oil pump. Any other recommended tools? I'll be using and air hammer for the crankshaft sprocket and will be fabing a tool to counter hold the sprocket when loosening the crankshaft bolt. I have the pd timing belt tool kit and vcds on the way. Anything I'm missing?
Old May 17th, 2017, 06:13   #14
QuickTD
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philshizle View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. I'm going to find an engine hoist and will pulling it out with the front end off. I don't feel like buying a transmission jack or bench pressing the auto out. I'm still a little unsure if I need tool T10255 to do the delete. I see it is necessary for the geared module install just wasn't sure if I needed when going with the alh oil pump. Any other recommended tools? I'll be using and air hammer for the crankshaft sprocket and will be fabing a tool to counter hold the sprocket when loosening the crankshaft bolt. I have the pd timing belt tool kit and vcds on the way. Anything I'm missing?
I haven't even heard of tool T10255, so you don't need it.
QuickTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2017, 09:52   #15
philshizle

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickTD View Post
I haven't even heard of tool T10255, so you don't need it.
Good enough for me, thanks!

I think I saw it in the geared balance shaft module pdf by oil oilhamer and mogolf