www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > West Coast Canada/USA

West Coast Canada/USA Local discussions for those on the West Coast of Canada and the US.

Old May 9th, 2017, 09:09   #1
CATDI
Veteran Member

Default Warning- CA residents with TDI tuning- You might fail your next SMOG check

Hi:
A friendly warning to California residents with a TDI and aftermarket tuning.

You might not pass your next SMOG check even though you passed several times before.

How do I know?

It just happened to me. My 2005 BHW Passat TDI with Rocketchip RC1 failed the most recent smog check. I was shocked. I had no check engine lights and the car had been running just fine.

I never had an issue before with the last 3 SMOG checks.

More details on my issue including a graph of the MAF here

I tried to find a problem but couldn't. I did verify that EGR readiness was failed or incomplete via VCDS. Could never get it to set because the MAF-S was constant. When that happens, there is no way EGR readiness will ever set.

Why did my car pass before?

Effective May 4, 2015, all available readiness monitors must be set. Previously you could have any one not set. This is why my tuned TDI could pass before without issue.

Full details from CA BAR here

So make sure your tune is up to date and all readiness monitors are in the pass state before your next smog check!

Now if I could only get a hold of Jeff at Rocketchip.

-Ed
2015 Golf SW TDI SEL (Father)
Truly a diesel family...
CATDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2017, 11:54   #2
TDIJetta99
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: low 38, high 61, avg 48

He's really not all that hard to get ahold of.. mid morning is usually a good time to call. remember he's in the eastern time zone
Old May 10th, 2017, 05:15   #3
devonutopia
Veteran Member

Forgive the dumb question, but what is the smog check? Over here in Blighty, we have an annual MOT test where the exhaust on a TDI is subject to a particulate test. Wondering if its the same thing? Or similar at least.
http://www.devoncardetailing.gb.net/
devonutopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 05:37   #4
Layerz
Veteran Member

Hopefully I don't get this too wrong!

But I understand in many states they have the yearly tests which isn't quite as much as an MOT but also CA is super strict has has road side smog tests.

Flip side I think you can get away with Murder in Florida and convert a FWD car to AWD/RWD with very little fuss/if at all any care.
Layerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 06:09   #5
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 B4V

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonutopia View Post
Forgive the dumb question, but what is the smog check? Over here in Blighty, we have an annual MOT test where the exhaust on a TDI is subject to a particulate test. Wondering if its the same thing? Or similar at least.
It is an emissions compliance test. Similar to your particulate test. The very first part of the test is a readiness check with the engine computer and the "check engine" light on the dash. Fail at that point - ends the test immediately. This is in California, other states are different. But many follow the California example on vehicle emissions.
1996 B4V, Hella E-Codes, GLX leather, EuroTuning.cz 02A 6 speed conversion w/.71 5th and .588 6th gear, A4 shift linkage by Matt-98AHU. 11 mm pump by Oldpoopie. Now, GTC1549VZ turbo by Whitbread. TDtuning, 24 lbs. boost, 162 hp, 285 lb/ft tq. Smoke Free (9/18/15). Koni Yellows and Big Brake 5 lug conversion.
john.jackson9213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 06:35   #6
Ed ke6bnl
Veteran Member

time to find that special smog tester.
1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor
1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins,2002 Vw Jetta
Ed ke6bnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 07:24   #7
Layerz
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.jackson9213 View Post
It is an emissions compliance test. Similar to your particulate test. The very first part of the test is a readiness check with the engine computer and the "check engine" light on the dash. Fail at that point - ends the test immediately. This is in California, other states are different. But many follow the California example on vehicle emissions.
Am I right too that you can be roadside tested if pulled over too?
My understanding in CA is that mods are targeted by the police too, would be handy to correct my understanding if wrong here.
Old May 10th, 2017, 08:02   #8
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonutopia View Post
As mentioned, each state has different requirements. In North Carolina, all cars are subject to an annual safety check (horn, lights, signals...) and gassers have to have an emissions test. If you have a gasser with a check engine light on, it's an automatic failure. On the diesels, the check engine light is ignored. My beetle had a check engine light on for at least the last five years I owned it and it passed every time. The check engine light was due to a fault to the airbag.
Old May 10th, 2017, 09:02   #9
flee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layerz View Post
My understanding in CA is that mods are targeted by the police too, would be handy to correct my understanding if wrong here.
In reality, roadside testing is a rare phenomenon.
I have seen it maybe once in the last 45 years driving in southern CA.
There is a phone number one can call to report 'gross' polluters, though.
Old May 10th, 2017, 18:43   #10
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 B4V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layerz View Post
Roadside tests are for gathering real world data. No danger to registration from participating in the roadside test. I was in one earlier this year for the first time. Got my California drivers license in 1965.

If you have a muffler loud enough to tee off your neighbors and they complain. Yes, you might get a ticket. If your car belches blue clouds of smoke where ever you drive, yes you might get a ticket. As flee said, you can call a phone number and report excessive smoke.

Do the cops target modified cars? Seriously NO. I find it amazing how these tales get spread. It usually involves a stupid driver doing something stupid, unsafe to attract attention. They get stopped, then want to argue with the cop. Funny how that works. About 5 years ago, I saw a jerk on a motorcycle go on the wrong side of the road to pass a couple of cars. Unfortunately for him, there was a San Diego motorcycle cop coming around the corner. Loved seeing that guy get pulled over!
1996 B4V, Hella E-Codes, GLX leather, EuroTuning.cz 02A 6 speed conversion w/.71 5th and .588 6th gear, A4 shift linkage by Matt-98AHU. 11 mm pump by Oldpoopie. Now, GTC1549VZ turbo by Whitbread. TDtuning, 24 lbs. boost, 162 hp, 285 lb/ft tq. Smoke Free (9/18/15). Koni Yellows and Big Brake 5 lug conversion.

Last edited by john.jackson9213; May 10th, 2017 at 19:20.
john.jackson9213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 00:31   #11
Layerz
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.jackson9213 View Post
Roadside tests are for gathering real world data. No danger to registration from participating in the roadside test. I was in one earlier this year for the first time. Got my California drivers license in 1965.

If you have a muffler loud enough to tee off your neighbors and they complain. Yes, you might get a ticket. If your car belches blue clouds of smoke where ever you drive, yes you might get a ticket. As flee said, you can call a phone number and report excessive smoke.

Do the cops target modified cars? Seriously NO. I find it amazing how these tales get spread. It usually involves a stupid driver doing something stupid, unsafe to attract attention. They get stopped, then want to argue with the cop. Funny how that works. About 5 years ago, I saw a jerk on a motorcycle go on the wrong side of the road to pass a couple of cars. Unfortunately for him, there was a San Diego motorcycle cop coming around the corner. Loved seeing that guy get pulled over!

Thanks for the clarification - and tbh thinking about the context of where I've heard this from (various sources/people) on cops pulling more cars in CA actually I should of correlated people with aggressive/extreme mods with similar driving and likelihood of getting pulled.
Old May 11th, 2017, 08:14   #12
2many diesels
Veteran Member

"Effective May 4, 2015, all available readiness monitors must be set. Previously you could have any one not set."

Don't think this is completely true.

I have run 4 cars through emmisions testing in the last month. One in particular, 2001 audi A4 1.8t...This car is not required to pass the evap test...and it didnt. I knew that when I set the car up for testing so I wasnt concerned. Didn't pass evap, but did pass test.
2many diesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 11:14   #13
romad
Veteran Member

I passed w/o a problem in September 2016 and my Malone Stage 1 tune with Dynamic EGR & Dynamic Idle.

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 19:05   #14
pappyhat

TDI(s): 2004 Wagon

Just received my 2017 DMV renewal for my 2004 Jetta Wagon. It states I must go to local dealership for my Mfg Recall #28F6. I wonder what this is?????? Then with my Proof of Correction Certificate and Smog certificate send to DMV... I have RC 1+ and have passed previous years smog tests...
pappyhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 20:47   #15
romad
Veteran Member

That is a recall from 2011 on the glow plugs. Just take your VIN into a dealer and ask for a list of completed recalls on that VIN.

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote