www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old September 30th, 2016, 20:36   #1
Überläufer

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta
Default Outer CV Joint?

While rotating tires I noticed that the boot on the cv joint on the driver's side has been split all the way around, with grease coming out. There is dry grease that's noticeable in the area around, so I don't know how long it has been split and how much grease has escaped. Searching the forums I see that this is the outer cv joint boot.
I haven't noticed any unusual sound when turning, I have however noticed lately that there is a popping sound when coming to a stop, and sometimes when leaving from a full stop. This has seemed to go away though lately, maybe due to getting colder?
Coincidentally it also sounds like I have a bearing going bad on the same wheel hub, I think I confirmed that it wasn't the tire as the roaring sound it makes still happens regardless of the tire and seems to get louder when turning left.
If I'm changing the bearing, it looks like there's not much left to replace the outer cv joint also? Is this the correct part? http://www.idparts.com/cv-joint-oute...sg-p-3771.html Thanks.

*Edit: Looks like you have to right click on the image icon and click on view image in new tab to actually see the picture in Google +

Last edited by Überläufer; September 30th, 2016 at 20:57.
Überläufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2016, 12:52   #2
narongc73
Veteran Member

If you have a dsg yes.
narongc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2016, 17:13   #3
rix337
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 09 Jetta TDI

You are correct, you have to remove the axle bolt anyway to get to the cv joint, might as well replace the bearing at the same time. If you are doing it yourself, it is no easy task to get the axle bolt out. Although you have an 06, so it may not be a crazy a torque spec as my 09. I had to heat mine up a couple times wih a propane torch and a good air impact to get it off. I had a brand new electric one, but wasn't nearly strong enough. I had a fun time trying to get the axle to snap back into place in the wheel hub as well. It was a frustrating job, but always a great feeling accomplishing yourself. Good luck!
VCDS HexCan+USB in ATL area
Best tank 778 miles
rix337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2016, 23:26   #4
Überläufer

Is it possible that these problems are related? Would a bad CV joint (caused by a torn boot over timer) cause bearing failure if gone on long enough? As opposed to putting a new outer CV joint on, would it be safer and easier to just to replace the whole axle from raxles?
Old October 5th, 2016, 05:10   #5
740GLE
Veteran Member

All depends how long that inner boot lasts, and if you mind doing the work twice.

I'd look into the cost of an entire axle and weigh how much you want to do the job once or twice. Also the axle could be slightly bent and that caused the boot to shred and bearing get trashed, thus replacing the boot will only get you so far, and you're back to square one.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2016, 05:40   #6
Überläufer

How could the axle get bent? Don't know of any major impact that could have caused something like that, unless maybe hitting a large pothole really hard?
Old October 6th, 2016, 06:00   #7
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

Usually a bent axle is caused by some type of "event".

Boots get old and split, wheel bearings go bad. The possibility of one causing the other is remote. Likely what has happened is the boot split long ago, and now you have a wheel bearing going bad also. Change the bearing, pull the axle and rebuild/reboot it while you have everything apart to change the bearing.

Not a bad job, but can be frustrating, if something doesn't go well.
Tdijarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2016, 11:59   #8
740GLE
Veteran Member

Some owners have noticed a vibration that wasn't cured by countless tire balancing and it came down to one of the axles.

I personally think I have one ever since ~80K, there's a noticeable vibration at 65-75 that's there almost half time time I drive. It's the same with snow tires or summer tires.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote