www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old July 4th, 2015, 20:18   #1
gmcjetpilot
Veteran Member

Default Back Up Camera Options - Camera Options

Anyone install backup camera? I notice some Garmin GPS models have backup camera option, wireless through Bluetooth to GPS. I'm using an Android smart phone and Google Map and Waze for Nav/traffic... works good, but still want backup camera.

There are wireless WIFI backup camera transmitters that work with iPhone and Androids. They are not too much money, transmitter and camera for under $80.

With that said does anyone have ideas, pictures of how to install the backup camera. Looking at eBay there are some VW backup cameras that seem replaces the license plate light cover and replaces it for one that has camera built in.... I assume the wire runs through there into car, saves from having to drill a hole I assume. That seems to be a slick setup....The pop up VW emblems are for sale but doubt they work with my year model. Anyone know if OEM or aftermarket can retro-fit, works here?

Edit: Below are the two options I am looking at. The license plate light insert or hatch lift handle insert, these seem best place to install camera. I believe the OEM back up camera is in the handle. Price for these are $25-$35... The transmitter I found with best ratings is shown below, comes under different names, typically Audio-Vox, SunroadTek, ePark, and others for about $45. It is Wi-Fi based and runs on a Android or iPhone App.... Total about $80. Garmin blue-tooth Backup camera works with some of their GPS, cost is $180 add on, not including the GPS price. The main complaint is the Garmin has low resolution and some lag, good not great. Since I am going to smart phone for GPS duties, the WiFi setup is best....

Last edited by gmcjetpilot; July 5th, 2015 at 07:51.
gmcjetpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2015, 19:45   #2
galexandr

TDI(s): JSW 2012

I have the JSW with RNS-315 and installed the OEM Rear-view camera. You can learn more from this thread:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...1#post86789097

Here is the item i got off ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290916460617?rmvSB=true

Hope this helps!
galexandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 11:19   #3
johnmharte

I'm running the OEM kit, bought mine on Amazon. I actually have another one in the box that was for a friend with a JSW that never needed it.

Mine worked well for about 8 months but now logs an error from time to time shows black screen on the head unit. I pull the errors on my VCDS scans. Not sure what is going on but I have the pano leak to fix first.. might be water intrusion related.

Super simple to install so long as you have VCDS.
Old July 10th, 2015, 00:21   #4
gmcjetpilot
Veteran Member

I don't think the radio I have has the capability for backup camera. I suppose I could buy a used one for not a lot of money. I would not mind getting the 510 with nav. I think I can upgrade for not too much money.

Thanks for the advice...

I found another option, even cheaper option. A dedicated mini LCD color monitor ($15-$25). This could be hard wired (very cheap) or for a few bucks you can get a video transmitter and receiver pair (2.4Ghz) for $8..... video.... the camera $12-$19 would make the total cost about $50 for dedicated rear view camera.

I do have a Garmin 2598LMTHD GPS which has the camera built in, but the dang camera, transmitter and receiver is $180... no thanks. However it would use the same display as the GPS and be automatic with reverse or parking lights.

gmcjetpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2019, 11:54   #5
JELLOWSUBMARINE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmharte View Post
I'm running the OEM kit, bought mine on Amazon. I actually have another one in the box that was for a friend with a JSW that never needed it.

Super simple to install so long as you have VCDS.
I know this is an old thread but do you still have the extra set up? selling?
thx
JELLOWSUBMARINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2019, 12:22   #6
johnmharte

I actually do! Just moved to FL and have it in my garage. DM me if you want to buy it.
Old February 7th, 2019, 13:08   #7
ToBiN
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 36 - 37 mpg Malone Stage2

If JELLOWSUBMARINE doesn't buy it, I am interested.

I too found the Amazon kit. Car has Nav so it should be plug and play. Do you need VCDS to enable the backup camera?

Thanks.
ToBiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2019, 14:45   #8
johnmharte

VCDS required, from a post in a different forum which worked for me.
Step 9: VAG COM Coding
Reconnect battery!
Go into either the radio or navigation (same thing) and click "coding" followed by "long code helper" and enable bit 6 on byte 3 (pictured)
Old February 8th, 2019, 01:28   #9
BarryT82
Veteran Member

If you buy a radio with the coding enabled you don’t need VCDS. You can use the RCD-510 with camera input, RNS-315, or RNS-510. I have a few RNS-510’s and an RNS-315 available and can code it for you.
BarryT82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2019, 09:16   #10
ToBiN
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 36 - 37 mpg Malone Stage2

@johnmharte
so did JellowSubmarine pick up the kit from you or no?
ToBiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2019, 16:10   #11
JELLOWSUBMARINE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBiN View Post
@johnmharte
Just got the message

IIl pm next
Old February 10th, 2019, 11:40   #12
JELLOWSUBMARINE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBiN View Post
@johnmharte
I am considering aftermarket so deal is still available