www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old November 29th, 2014, 12:25   #76
JLMurphy
Veteran Member

Great DIY, many thanks. I'm working through my first timing belt on my '10 Golf and I think I've got everything lined up and good to go. The only thing is that in my case the cam and HPFP gears aren't quite centered, both are a bit clockwise. The timing lines up perfect between cam and crank and the HPFP is very close but I'm wondering if I need to worry about the cam and pump gears being rotated in their slots a bit. I think both gears are 1 tooth off of the centerof the slots, and I'm not looking forward to taking it apart again to fiddle with them.

Here's the cam:

And the crank:

Finally the tensioner, hard to tell from the angle, but the pointer is at the far right edge of the slot.

As you can in the pics, the bolts are toward the rear of the slots. Is there any risk here? As long as the timing is spot on I think I should be ok, right?

Oh, and with the water pump I set the pump in the block, started all of the bolts by hand and then tightened each a couple of turns at a time. Seems to be seated perfectly.

Thanks again for the DIY, it's a big help. Overall this was way easier than my ALH, and about the same as my PD. The HPFP isn't too terrible, but the belt was pretty stiff in the cold and was a bit of a pain to wind around all of the idlers and gears. Took a couple of tries and a helping hand from my lovely wife, but we got it on.

Jim
JLMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 13:22   #77
greengeeker

Fuel Economy: 42.2/50.0/58.1

Hi Jim. Nice work! I would take the time to move the sprockets so the bolts are centered. The risk is that the bolt is at the end of the slot and is preventing the belt from being tensioned properly. If that isn't the case and the bolts are NOT contacting the edge of the slots then yes you can continue forward with the change out...but I really would center them.
TDIclub trusted mechanic in Minnesota - PM me
greengeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 14:39   #78
JLMurphy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengeeker View Post
Hi Jim. Nice work! I would take the time to move the sprockets so the bolts are centered. The risk is that the bolt is at the end of the slot and is preventing the belt from being tensioned properly. If that isn't the case and the bolts are NOT contacting the edge of the slots then yes you can continue forward with the change out...but I really would center them.
Thanks for the feedback, I was concerned about bottoming out in the slots so I checked the clearance when I changed out the bolts for new ones and there was ~1/2 bolt diameter clearance on both the cam and HPFP gear slots, basically to the edge of the washers, so I have to say, I left it alone. The prospect of pulling the belt again did not excite me.

One thing I noticed is that when I put the belt on with the gears fully clockwise they didn't move much when I put some tension on the belt. That's why they ended up a bit off center, they just didn't move much when I tensioned the belt.

In any event, it fired right up when I got it back together. I think I ran the fuel pump test about 5 times to make sure it was fully primed.

Thanks again for the awesome DIY, it made the job very straightforward.
JLMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2019, 20:52   #79
Brent4

I realize this is an old thread, but I have a question for the pros. Pardon my stupidity but what is the reason for the long procedure? Why can't you just hold the sprockets from turning and release the tension and slide the old belt off and the new one on? I'm sure there's a reason but I'm just not seeing it. I read the instructions by greengeeker, very detailed and excellent. If someone could just explain the reason for the procedure....
Brent4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2019, 21:13   #80
oldpoopie

Interference motor.... get it wrong.... well..... why dont you try it and let us know.

Email me, justgrow@gmail.com
oldpoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2019, 06:25   #81
Brent4

But what could you get wrong if the cog count is the same between the sprockets on the new one as on the old one? I don't want to just try it and blow it to pieces. The hardest thing for me to understand is why you'd have to loosen the bolts on the cam and HPFP sprockets.
Old February 9th, 2019, 07:12   #82
oldpoopie

If you don’t loosen the bolts when you tension the belt the tension only travels between the two pullys on either side of the tensioner and not the entire belt

Email me, justgrow@gmail.com
oldpoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2019, 09:23   #83
Brent4

Of course. Never thought of that, I'm so dense. Thanks for explaining