How To: Common Rail Timing Belt Procedure

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
IIRC yo uneed to buy a PD crank lock, two ALH injection pump pins, big green counterhold tool, serpentine belt tensioner pin, and timing belt tensioner pin wrench.

new tensioners already come with a new triangle shaped pin for holding the tensioner fully loosened.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Although your link points to one attributed to user doc_m, I believe the original list is by oldpoopie...

Yuri
:)

I've got a BEW and brm list too, gotta post em up one day.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
IIRC yo uneed to buy a PD crank lock, two ALH injection pump pins, big green counterhold tool, serpentine belt tensioner pin, and timing belt tensioner pin wrench.

new tensioners already come with a new triangle shaped pin for holding the tensioner fully loosened.
Just buy a metalnerd BEW timing belt tool kit and add in another pin (the ALH pump pin and PD cam pins are the same) and the sprocket counterhold and you should be good to go.

redtdi966

Veteran Member
TDI
09 B-graphite sedan 6-sp (Bridgewater- NJ)
How do I see the "how to video" or photos: I cliked the multimedia link and got this, when I click register:

vBulletin Message
Our records show that you have already registered under the name of redtdi966. If you have lost your password, click here. If you would like to modify your profile, click here.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
FYI-update with my fathers car. He has had a life average of 38-39 mpg on the car with the same type of driving. He is now getting about 2 mpg better then before the belt. And it seems to have more power. Judging from the amount of seat time he has in the car (it is is work office basically) I believe the power account as well. Either way father is extremely happen with the end results.

HLS

TDI
2009 sportwagen
Is there a way to prime the fuel system without Vagcom? Or is it possible to do without disconecting the fuel lines?

HLS

TDI
2009 sportwagen
Thanks greengeeker, awesome step by step procedure. This should definitely be in the how to sticky! I did mine yesterday. I did do it without disconnecting the fuel lines, no sweat... however fuel filter change is also on the 120,000 service & there is that debate about priming the pumps on the filter change. Got the cr tool kit from metalnerd & the timing belt kit from dieselgeek.com, both great kits for anyone needing to do this, I recommend them both.

TDI
09 Jetta 2.0L
I am at 110K and there is a slight crack in my timing belt so I am doing my belt this week. I ordered my timing belt kit and tool kit from Idparts.com. Do I need to replace all of the coolant or is it ok to reuse? Also if reusing do I need a little extra for the amount that falls out when the water pump is pulled, if so how much did you add?

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
most good kits will come with a 1.5L bottle of concentrated G12 coolant. just find a suitable container to double that with with distilled water and you should have plenty to replace what spills when you change the waterpump.

yes the existing coolant is good to reuse so long as its always been mixed with distilled water or other G12 coolant.

if its ever had anything else in ther you will want to flush the system and replace it all with a fresh 50 50 mix of g12 N distilled water from the grocery store.

TDI
09 Jetta 2.0L
So I finished up the timing belt job. It took me about 11 hours at lazy speed with changing the oil, air filter and fuel filter. The write up was a life saver, I had never done the timing belt on anything other than a gas golf. The golf has a tensioning system similar to the serpentine belt and you just count the teeth and put the new belt on. Needless to say this was a whole new experience for me. Thanks for the write up. All in all it wasn't bad to do the work. I trust myself with the guidance from forum posts way more than I trust the stealership.

Some things I noticed about the right up that I thought I would mention.

1. Take off the passenger side front tire (I didn’t relize this until the car was in the air and I was trying to get the mud flaps out)

2. On step 30 I was having some difficulty with the 16 mm socket and felt like I was going to strip the bolt. What I did was use the 12mm XZN and a 16mm wrench at the same time. It could just be that my bolts were over torqued.

After the timing belt was replaced I went on a 300 mile trip that I do every week or so. It drove great it seemed like it took off the line a little faster and ran smoother. I also got 2 mpg better fuel mileage but that could have been all the other service I did as well.

Thanks again

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
So I finished up the timing belt job. It took me about 11 hours at lazy speed with changing the oil, air filter and fuel filter. The write up was a life saver, I had never done the timing belt on anything other than a gas golf. The golf has a tensioning system similar to the serpentine belt and you just count the teeth and put the new belt on. Needless to say this was a whole new experience for me. Thanks for the write up. All in all it wasn't bad to do the work. I trust myself with the guidance from forum posts way more than I trust the stealership.
Some things I noticed about the right up that I thought I would mention.
1. Take off the passenger side front tire (I didn’t relize this until the car was in the air and I was trying to get the mud flaps out)
2. On step 30 I was having some difficulty with the 16 mm socket and felt like I was going to strip the bolt. What I did was use the 12mm XZN and a 16mm wrench at the same time. It could just be that my bolts were over torqued.
After the timing belt was replaced I went on a 300 mile trip that I do every week or so. It drove great it seemed like it took off the line a little faster and ran smoother. I also got 2 mpg better fuel mileage but that could have been all the other service I did as well.
Thanks again
Glad to hear it went well! Thanks for the feedback - I can't believe I forgot the passenger wheel in the instructions.

jagster936

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Beetle TDI Manual
Excellent write up. One question though: this is for CJAA engine also? PDF says CB...whatever. I have 2010 jetta sedan. It's good for that? Saving the procedure for that dark day of replacement :). Looks complex.