www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old January 22nd, 2019, 14:31   #5371
ytjetta

Just experienced symptom today of frozen intercooler . Drove to work fine this morning and parked underground parking level P3. Tried to start it in the afternoon 4pm to go home and it died after a few seconds. Tried one more time. So I stopped. The temp has been 20-25F and even lower with wind chill for the past two days. Also, I usually park outside on the street when at home.

Question is: is this covered by the new dieselgate warranty? I read the TSB from 2012.

ytjetta
2014 Jetta SportWagen 31k miles
(bought from dealer last month CPO)
ytjetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2019, 17:20   #5372
Matt927
Veteran Member

TDI(s): several

No not the diesel gate warranty as far as I know but should be covered by your two year bumper to bumper CPO warranty.

Did you have the car towed to the dealer? Should install the cold weather intercooler kit for you or you cold just run a lower grille block in the winter.
Matt927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2019, 04:54   #5373
Miser_TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miser_TDI View Post
Edit 1: Going to the dealer today for them to "diagnose" the car. (unless there is a stored code due to the rough start/stalling there are no lights on, and I have not scanned it with my VCDS) Yes I know it will be a goose chase. VWoA regional rep is going to call me back regarding loaner. It would be nice if it would be just the flap in the new intercooler is stuck open or similar... Will keep updating as things happen.

Edit 1: VW called back, said will do research and call me back by end of business day Friday. Fingers crossed. They declined my option of finding a fixed TDI to use a loaner so they could troubleshoot, figured as much. It was worth a shot. Will edit more when I hear more.

Hopefully replying to my own post is not too bad of form.

Went to dealer yesterday late afternoon, they "diagnosed" it for free, and of course as I thought found no codes. Almost makes me wish I would have scanned it with VCDS before I called them to tell them it had no codes, saving me the round trip.

When VW calls me back, I am going to attempt to get them to somehow get me a loaner (they've got plenty of "fixed" TDI's they could give me, let me borrow a 2015 MT, any model, ha ...) because this is going to take more than just reading codes. Needs old school troubleshooting. Need to have very cold temps, drive it around, stomp on it a bit, then park it in a heated garage. I'd almost guarantee that that's how you replicate it.

The dealer says VW won't even let them talk to VW's "tech support" without a code. I told them "what about a cell phone video of the problem after first initial stall?

I really don't like having to suggest things to the dealer, but wouldn't you have thought they would have checked the flap/door in the new intercooler to make sure it's not stuck open, vacuum line fell off, etc. PREVENT the problem vs. give me a new engine if it blows up. The dealer even suggested fuel filter, etc. As the saying goes, "come on, man, that's just throwing parts at it."

I guess the bright side is the dealer didn't charge me anything for the diag, not that I would have paid.

Hopefully VW calls me today. Will edit this most when I have more info. Just frustrating, that's all. If I wasn't concerned about the warranty, I would just tune it and be done with it. I'm having to hold myself back from saying "eff it" and just tuning it.

-Miser

Last edited by Miser_TDI; January 23rd, 2019 at 13:27. Reason: Updates 1-23-19
Miser_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2019, 10:07   #5374
ytjetta

Default Car fixed now

Got the car towed to the dealership I bought it from. According to them, they diagnosed and found no codes and also checked battery and starter motor which passed test. They also said that they checked the intercooler and found nothing. However, they found that the fuel filter was clogged (job doesn't say what clogged it) which starved the engine. Fuel filter was replaced (not covered by warranty).
ytjetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytjetta View Post
Just experienced symptom today of frozen intercooler . Drove to work fine this morning and parked underground parking level P3. Tried to start it in the afternoon 4pm to go home and it died after a few seconds. Tried one more time. So I stopped. The temp has been 20-25F and even lower with wind chill for the past two days. Also, I usually park outside on the street when at home.
Question is: is this covered by the new dieselgate warranty? I read the TSB from 2012.
ytjetta
2014 Jetta SportWagen 31k miles
(bought from dealer last month CPO)
Old January 28th, 2019, 11:42   #5375
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Wonder if it was gelled fuel that caused your no/hard start issues.
Old January 28th, 2019, 12:14   #5376
ytjetta

Does the fuel stay gelled even when the temp is above 40F? The parking garage was around 42F when i tried to start the car. Should i add power service diesel fuel supplement just in case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
Wonder if it was gelled fuel that caused your no/hard start issues.
Old January 29th, 2019, 02:46   #5377
Matt927
Veteran Member

TDI(s): several

Quote:
Does the fuel stay gelled even when the temp is above 40F? The parking garage was around 42F when i tried to start the car. Should i add power service diesel fuel supplement just in case?
At that temperature no, your fuel should not have gelled. We are long enough into the winter season that all diesel purchased should been treated properly and even if it wasn't, 42F is not cold.

Running a fuel additive like OptiLube XPD in every tank will not only prevent fuel gelling but also benefit your fuel system in other ways as well.
Matt927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2019, 16:04   #5378
rotarykid
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 64 .1city @ 30-60 mph/ 52-53 @ 70-85 mph hyway ( 52 to just under 60 normal around town)on LSD
Arrow

Quote:
The only time I have ever had this happen was in October or Early November. But this late in the season the only way I see that happening is if the station where you got the fuel at had too much untreated fuel in the ground when they refilled with winter mix. If you are not sure about your fuel being treated for cold, don't risk it you add a qt of white bottle Power Service......
Old January 30th, 2019, 20:46   #5379
crashtested
Veteran Member

Drove to work yesterday morning and it was -7c and parked outside all day in -3c. After work I had a rough start, stall, rough start, stall then floored it trying to keep the revs up and seemed to recover and be ok. Cold AF again this morning and all was well. Fingers crossed.
Old January 31st, 2019, 08:00   #5380
ytjetta

Rotarykid, i think you may be right! I usually fill up at known brand stations near where I live where a lot of diesel vehicles fuel up. The night before my car failed to start, however, I filled up in another part of town at a gas station whose brand I am not familiar with. I was near empty and remember pumping around 8-9 gallons.
ytjetta
2014 sportwagen tdi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotarykid View Post
The only time I have ever had this happen was in October or Early November. But this late in the season the only way I see that happening is if the station where you got the fuel at had too much untreated fuel in the ground when they refilled with winter mix. If you are not sure about your fuel being treated for cold, don't risk it you add a qt of white bottle Power Service......
Old February 12th, 2019, 20:14   #5381
Keith63
Veteran Member

If car is out of warranty, it will cost $1,300.00 for install. Part alone is $608.08
Keith63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2019, 16:36   #5382
B25guy

Fuel Economy: avg 42+ on JSW, avg 16+ on CTD, avg 1gal/hr on CAT, the bus, don't ask
Angry No start but have the IC TSB

Had a no start last week. I had the IC TSB fix done to the car back in 2011 when i lived in Texas. I now live in Washington state since 2012 and winters until now haven't been a problem. Coincidentally, the weather pattern has been very similar to the winter in TX in 2011...weeks of below freezing, high humidity and snow. So my car has been sitting out at home or at work for the last few nasty weeks with no problems starting so i decided to put in my heated garage. The very next morning, i started it and it ran for a second or so then abruptly stopped. I tried one more time and it groaned...i recognized that sound from 2011! I called the local dealer and discussed the issue but couldn't get an "aha" from them telling me they recognized this as ever happening?? I had it towed down there and when i got there the service mgr. called VWoA Warranty to see if it would be covered under the new extended emission fix warranty (which i just had done last summer...clue here) and they said it would be covered. Well, went to pick it up today and imagine my surprise when they said nothing was broke and they couldn't find anything wrong with it except for a 1/4 cup of water in the IC! After it was towed there, it had been sitting for probably 6 hours so like the first time it happened, the water will drain out of the combustion chamber sufficiently to allow a restart...albeit very rough and stumbling. Tech did the right thing by putting a wrench on the crank to turn it manually before starting. As expected, it started and it ran rough for a while until it cleared up...just like before. The only feedback from their senior tech was low battery (had been starting just fine in single-digit mornings for weeks already??) or bad or gelled fuel (in a heated garage??). They harped on bad fuel as the probable culprit. I have six diesels engines in my stable of vehicles; a $50k Detroit S60, $30k CAT, $10k Cummins and two Kubotas...all of which use the same fuel sources and most have see-through fuel bowls (and all are currently running) and I wouldn't risk a one to budget fuel...i'm not buying their response. I s Now i have to contact VWoA to get this bill sorted out.
B25guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2019, 13:53   #5383
CrustyOreo
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 3x Golfs
Fuel Economy: GPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B25guy View Post
Had a no start last week. I had the IC TSB fix done to the car back in 2011 when i lived in Texas. I now live in Washington state since 2012 and winters until now haven't been a problem. Coincidentally, the weather pattern has been very similar to the winter in TX in 2011...weeks of below freezing, high humidity and snow. So my car has been sitting out at home or at work for the last few nasty weeks with no problems starting so i decided to put in my heated garage. The very next morning, i started it and it ran for a second or so then abruptly stopped. I tried one more time and it groaned...i recognized that sound from 2011! I called the local dealer and discussed the issue but couldn't get an "aha" from them telling me they recognized this as ever happening?? I had it towed down there and when i got there the service mgr. called VWoA Warranty to see if it would be covered under the new extended emission fix warranty (which i just had done last summer...clue here) and they said it would be covered. Well, went to pick it up today and imagine my surprise when they said nothing was broke and they couldn't find anything wrong with it except for a 1/4 cup of water in the IC! After it was towed there, it had been sitting for probably 6 hours so like the first time it happened, the water will drain out of the combustion chamber sufficiently to allow a restart...albeit very rough and stumbling. Tech did the right thing by putting a wrench on the crank to turn it manually before starting. As expected, it started and it ran rough for a while until it cleared up...just like before. The only feedback from their senior tech was low battery (had been starting just fine in single-digit mornings for weeks already??) or bad or gelled fuel (in a heated garage??). They harped on bad fuel as the probable culprit. I have six diesels engines in my stable of vehicles; a $50k Detroit S60, $30k CAT, $10k Cummins and two Kubotas...all of which use the same fuel sources and most have see-through fuel bowls (and all are currently running) and I wouldn't risk a one to budget fuel...i'm not buying their response. I s Now i have to contact VWoA to get this bill sorted out.

Big ol' F
Old February 16th, 2019, 19:40   #5384
ATR
Veteran Member

Just a friendly reminder guys that there's a DIY fix that will help reduce or eliminate this from happening:

https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=431560

***Official maintenance schedule for your VW [PDFs inside]***
ATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2019, 18:56   #5385
B25guy

Fuel Economy: avg 42+ on JSW, avg 16+ on CTD, avg 1gal/hr on CAT, the bus, don't ask

Thanks for the reminder. After more thought, I think not covering my lower front this winter may be the cause of the re-occurrence. I installed a tow plate to be able to tow four down behind my bus and all the brackets are in that grill area. Since I had the TSB installed in 2011, I have covered the lower front with pipe foam every winter but this one. So perhaps the TSB didnít really fix anything?? Next thing will be to drill the drain hole.
B25guy is offline   Reply With Quote