www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old February 19th, 2019, 10:33   #3391
Stealth TDI
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
I love your trailer and the things you do with it!
Thanks! I'm starting to fix up my cargo trailer. Someone decided the weak aluminum fenders made great seats and bent one.

I replaced them with heavy plastic parts by Fulton. They're quite strong, but I still don't want anyone sitting on them. The "NO STEP" stickers were ineffective (can't fix stupid), so I'll try these bird deterrents that I already have on the baby trailer...

The black fenders stand out a bit against a silver backdrop. So I painted the upper and lower trim to tie-in the black. I'll eventually apply some sort of black decals. Here's how the trailer sits now...

I also made a few minor improvements to the interior...

I'm on the verge of installing electrical and ventilation systems to make the trailer suitable as a sleeper. After that, I'll have it wrapped to match my car.

| .M y . S t a g e . 2 . G T I . |
| Facebook | YouTube | Fuelly |
Stealth TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2019, 11:00   #3392
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth TDI View Post
I replaced them with heavy plastic parts by Fulton. They're quite strong, but I still don't want anyone sitting on them. The "NO STEP" stickers were ineffective (can't fix stupid), so I'll try these bird deterrents that I already have on the baby trailer...

I think that will get the point across. Nice looking project.
Old March 1st, 2019, 13:22   #3393
brnsgrbr
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44 mpg

Recommended brake controller? MK4 Golf.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
2.0Ltr ALH w/BHWs, WB girdle, IE Tuscan rods, RyanP GtB2260Vk kit, 4bar MAP; Kerma 3" exhaust w/HF cat & Aeroturbine 3030XL, headwork, DRW 6speed w/DG Sigma shifter;SBC S2 End race clutch W/ferramic disk; Peloquin TBD; Bosio Stage 2 R520s; DLI Technik mounts ; 11mm; TT CA bushings; DG Panzer FMJ, RP,& 100K TB&SB upgrade; Coolant heater; DRL & EGR deletes; ventectomy; Accuair/Airlift suspension;B20-B100
brnsgrbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2019, 18:07   #3394
Geordi
Veteran Member

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is really hot here in S. Florida...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth TDI View Post
I'm on the verge of installing electrical and ventilation systems to make the trailer suitable as a sleeper. After that, I'll have it wrapped to match my car.
I like that interior - all of the options, either rubber floor or the E-track or the carpet. NICE!
Old March 2nd, 2019, 18:29   #3395
TDonovan

TDonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2019, 18:44   #3396
TDonovan

[IMG]//http://imgur.com/gallery/E1XbmQz[/IMG]
TDonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2019, 04:19   #3397
bobbiemartin
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brnsgrbr View Post
Recommended brake controller? MK4 Golf.
Any of the proportional controllers would work fine. I use the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite Trailer Brake Controller on the Touareg and Tiguan. It works very well, but the main feature I like is the installation. The main controller can be tucked away behind the dash with only a knob to mount in the dash. Redarc sells various faceplates for the knob. On the Tiguan, I removed the dash light controller (I keep it a maximum anyway). I then sourced a spare dash lite controller, gutted it and epoxied a Redarc faceplate to it. Then I just snapped it in place of the dash light and it looks like it should be there.

bobbiemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2019, 08:00   #3398
PB_NB
Veteran Member

I use a Tekonsha P3 controller which has momentum monitoring and a bunch of other things.

Mine is mounted within reach on the bottom of my dash so I can reach the adjustments on the front and the activating lever on the bottom if I need to apply the trailer brakes without touching the car brakes.

TD Donovan, That looks like a fun build. How about the weight in the end, any predictions? What are you going to pull it with?
1999 New Beetle TDI - Bosio 1019's, Malone S4, Skid Plate, Neuspeed Sway Bars, KW V2, 19's BBS-CH, Spyder LED's, EGR Delete, VF Mounts, South Bend Clutch, B&M Shift Kit, VNT17, Custom Side Mount Intercooler, HPA Big Brakes 355mm Ft/335mm Rr, 2.5" Custom SS Straight Through Exhaust, Colt Stage 2 Cam, 3 Bar Map.
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2019, 19:20   #3399
Stealth TDI
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordi View Post
I like that interior - all of the options, either rubber floor or the E-track or the carpet. NICE!
I've had to make some big changes. I took the walls down to do the electrical work, but found a few leaks. I also found some shoddy workmanship on the floor. So I pulled it up. From there, I decided to work on the roof to address the leaks. The roof is stripped clean and awaiting good weather for a seal-job that'll be top notch. I hope to do the things to rehab this trailer that the manufacturers probably should do during production.

Here's how the trailer sits now:

I'll do a write-up when I've finished it all and share a link here.

Scott

| .M y . S t a g e . 2 . G T I . |
| Facebook | YouTube | Fuelly |

Last edited by Stealth TDI; March 4th, 2019 at 19:25.
Stealth TDI is offline   Reply With Quote