www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old March 15th, 2008, 06:38   #31
OilBurnerDE
Veteran Member

This thread will come in handy. I recently replaced the bushings, bearings, outer tie rods, ball joints and strut mounts and bearings. I left the inner tie rods alone because there wasn't any play in them.

After having the car aligned, it pulled to the left and was very twitchy on the road especially with a cross wind.

Took it back to the shop, and they said the inners need to be replaced because the jam nuts are stuck and they can't adjust it the way the need to.

So the next pay check, the inners will be ordered and the tools sourced to attempt this procedure.
So this thread gets a thumbs up from me!
90 Corrado Stage IV. 25 yrs and counting...
OilBurnerDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 14:40   #32
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A5: 36mpg Avg / A6: 39

There seems to be some interest, so, I thought I'd post some pics of the tool I made. Others have commented that you could turn the steering wheel such that the rack extends out to be able to put an open end wrench or crescent wrench on it.

At any rate, here's the tool I used:

As I mentioned earlier, I bought a cheap 1/2" drive extension set and wrench set that included a 32mm open end wrench, from harbor freight.

Tony
Diesel fleet: 2015 Jetta TDI SE DSG; 2006 Jetta, TDI, DSG-5sp Conversion; 2006 DC Cummins, CC/LB/DRW; 1996 Passat TDI, 5sp, Project car! Troubleshooting Links: Trusted TDI Mechanics IP Timing Timing Belt FAQ A3/B4 Low Power Cyl Head Repair Fault Codes What you have just read is an opinion...take it as you see fit!
TonyJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 07:14   #33
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 116 mpg(e), 36 mpg gas, 100 mpg combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilBurnerDE
Took it back to the shop, and they said the inners need to be replaced because the jam nuts are stuck and they can't adjust it the way the need to.
Have them put it up on a lift and point out the jam nuts on the inner ends....
There aren't any. All the adjustment is at the outer.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 08:00   #34
jollyGreenGiant
Veteran Member

Quote:
Have them put it up on a lift and point out the jam nuts on the inner ends....
There aren't any. All the adjustment is at the outer.
My guess is that the outer area is so seized up they want to just cut the rod in the middle to gain access to the inner and then replace the whole deal with new parts... Although a glowing red jam nut has always been moveable for me.
jollyGreenGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 14:49   #35
scrubber
Veteran Member

My inner tie rod was not 32mm, but 33.6mm
Harbor Freight had the right tool for me, for
removing the old joint, and getting the new 32mm
rod in place. I couldn't move it with just a regular wrench.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96558
scrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 17:50   #36
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Scrubber,
Was that tie rod on the Jetta or Golf?

AFAIK, the B4 tie rods are specific; not generic enough across the VW product lines.

Tony
Diesel fleet: 2015 Jetta TDI SE DSG; 2006 Jetta, TDI, DSG-5sp Conversion; 2006 DC Cummins, CC/LB/DRW; 1996 Passat TDI, 5sp, Project car! Troubleshooting Links: Trusted TDI Mechanics IP Timing Timing Belt FAQ A3/B4 Low Power Cyl Head Repair Fault Codes What you have just read is an opinion...take it as you see fit!
Old March 20th, 2008, 23:34   #37
scrubber
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyJetta
Scrubber,
Was that tie rod on the Jetta or Golf?
'02 Golf. I know it's the wrong forum, but I thought the
tool might be the answer for some people. It will work
for both 33.6mm and 32mm (I now have both sizes on the car).
scrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 06:46   #38
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Scrubber,
No problem...kinda threw me for a loop with the different size.

Tony
Old February 7th, 2019, 21:38   #39
Digital Corpus
Veteran Member

I’m bumping this for confirming information. The Harbo Freight tool (#63705) is a good bet. The stock tie rods use the 1-1/4” die and the new AC Delco replacement tie rods used the 33.6 mm die. The latter are about 1/2” longer, but the tie rod end (not the end of the inner tie rod, but the ball joint end that bolts to the knuckle) has more than enough depth to deal with the excess. The threading is M14x1.5 for the record.
Old February 9th, 2019, 19:21   #40
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyJetta View Post

Tony
THIS, is why harbor freight exists.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2019, 04:55   #41
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Dismal

I bought a crows foot wrench for about $7. Not even worth the time to make one.

-Todd
ToddA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2019, 14:39   #42
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

I'm with Todd, the crows foot is perfect for this and cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Corpus View Post
I’m bumping this for confirming information. The Harbo Freight tool (#63705) is a good bet. The stock tie rods use the 1-1/4” die and the new AC Delco replacement tie rods used the 33.6 mm die. The latter are about 1/2” longer, but the tie rod end (not the end of the inner tie rod, but the ball joint end that bolts to the knuckle) has more than enough depth to deal with the excess. The threading is M14x1.5 for the record.
Sounds to me like the AC Delco branded inner tie rod is for ZF and not TRW maybe? That would explain why it's 1/2" longer, which is consistent with what I've found when comparing ZF to TRW inner tie rods.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2019, 19:14   #43
Digital Corpus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Addy View Post
I'm with Todd, the crows foot is perfect for this and cheap.
Sounds to me like the AC Delco branded inner tie rod is for ZF and not TRW maybe? That would explain why it's 1/2" longer, which is consistent with what I've found when comparing ZF to TRW inner tie rods.
Steve
You’re correct on this. However, is the rod diameter that critical? The ball joint of both have the same OD. The Bentlies just say to not install the TRW in the ZF racks. I have the new AC Delco parts, but they come with tie rod ends too, not just the inners. You need 1-1/4” adapters for TRW.

I would use a crows foot, but there is an issue. OE tie rods used an 8-point “lobe” so a hex/crow’s foot wouldn’t work [well]. The new ones were rounded square loves and a hex-anything won’t fit. The Harbor Freight tool handles both properly.
Old February 11th, 2019, 10:40   #44
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Corpus View Post
You’re correct on this. However, is the rod diameter that critical? The ball joint of both have the same OD. The Bentlies just say to not install the TRW in the ZF racks. I have the new AC Delco parts, but they come with tie rod ends too, not just the inners. You need 1-1/4” adapters for TRW.
I would use a crows foot, but there is an issue. OE tie rods used an 8-point “lobe” so a hex/crow’s foot wouldn’t work [well]. The new ones were rounded square loves and a hex-anything won’t fit. The Harbor Freight tool handles both properly.
I think the reason the Bentley has gone this route is because it would take far too much explaining to the average person about what parts will work with what racks (in reality) so it's just easier to draw the line and say that there's no compatibility.

AFAIK it's really a one way compatiility issue and some folks might conclude without thinking that if it works one way it'll work going the other, and that's not a safe conclusion with this.

Yeah, now that you mention is I remember that some of these use hex fit and some use square. I guess the tool you would need depends on who made the product.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2019, 16:11   #45
Digital Corpus
Veteran Member

~39 w/ tax for the HF tool, fwiw.
https://www.harborfreight.com/inner-...set-63705.html