www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old August 31st, 2007, 02:44   #1
LargePrime

Default A very different Hybrid?

I was poking around the interwebs an i saw an article on steam engine cars.

Turns out a R&D group at VW has the bestest high tech steam engine around.

So I was thinking, A typical Infernal Combustion engine would make a right proper heat source for a high tech steam engine.

Assuming a Diesel gets ~40% efficency, and a high tech steam engine gets about ~30%, we get about 58% all up!

What think ye about a diesel/steam hybrid?
LargePrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 08:47   #2
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

Individually each cycle may be able to reach the efficiencies you state, but put into combination (by that I assume you mean employing the steam portion to use the waste heat of the Diesel engine in a bottoming cycle), you can never reach any significant improvement over the Diesel engine alone. The reason is the temperature of the waste exhaust heat is relatively low, and therefore so is its "exergy" or availability to do useful work.

Secondly, when tossing around efficiency figures, we're always dealing with peak values. Even a Diesel engine with a peak efficiency of 40% is not the problem. The problem is that, like every other thermodynamic cycle, the engine is rarely operating at a point of peak efficiency. Far from it. Whether Diesel or otherwise, the power at the wheels is less than about 20% of the energy latent in the fuel.

Even doubling the peak efficiency of any engine process will at part loads bring relatively small improvements in the whole scheme of things. On top of that, you add all the extra complexity, bulk and the dreaded C-word -- cost -- with a small steam engine, and you can understand why nobody is beating down doors to get this to consumers' hands.

BMW has demonstrated a small auxiliary steam engine running off the exhaust heat, but it's just that: it's a technology demonstrator, not something that will be cost effective anytime soon. And its coupled to a gasoline engine. With a Diesel, there would not be enough exhaust heat to justify the steam bottoming cycle, and Diesel already has a cost disadvantage to begin with.

Nice idea for laboratories and maybe massive combined-cycle stationary generators, not quite ready for prime time automotive production.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 19:46   #3
bugablue
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 98 beetle
Fuel Economy: 50 mpg metric. average

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargePrime
bestest
I love that word
bugablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 20:02   #4
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

Our cars have trouble keeping themselves warm in the winter!

When I was a kid we still plowed crop ground in the fall. (we no-till now) This plowing took weeks and generally we worked 12 hour shifts and in those days we didn't have a permanent cab on the tractor. Can you say cold?
We put on what was called a 'heat-houser' than was canvas and funneled the engine heat back around the operator seat. It was open on the top and back. When you faced the wind you cooked and when the wind was at your back you froze. We had one field that had 1.5 mile long rows....

When you just couldn't feel your fingers any more, and ONLY if you were on a diesel tractor (all non-turbo in those days) you could grab the muffler coming out of the hood and it would warm your hands right through your gloves.
If you tried it on a gas tractor, you burned your hands rather badly.
Not that much waste heat from those diesel tractors compared to the gas ones.

Bill Lear (google him) spent millions trying to bring back the steamer. I'd like one myself!

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote