www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old January 19th, 2007, 12:26   #1
thollar

TDI(s): 98 Jetta
Default Mixed G12 Coolant with O'Reilly 50/50 AntiFreeze

Hi,

My coolant is/was leaking when the engine is running at a higher capacity (going up into the mountains). It is a 98 Jetta TDI. A shop told me that I could use O'Reilly 50/50 AntiFreeze. Well, I am now told that you cannot mix the the G12 with any other anti-freeze - that it will cause great harm to the engine. Am I hosed? Can I flush all of the anti-freeze? What causes coolant to leak when the engine is running at a higher RPM?

I appreciate your help.

Todd
thollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 12:39   #2
dieseldorf
top post dawg

start flushing !
Old January 19th, 2007, 12:41   #3
whitedog
Veteran Member

Old January 19th, 2007, 12:44   #4
thollar

Are their going to be long-term issues with the mixing of the different types antifreezes?

Thanks again for your feedback.
Old January 19th, 2007, 12:47   #5
doc_m
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

in the bently specifically states do not mix g12 with anything, must be flushed clean and proper g12 put in, do a search many pictures of how nasty some can get in a short time

Do work on cars like intake cleanings, nozzle swaps, brakes etc.... Hex usb + can now

2009 Jetta TDI Comfortline with ESP and beige leather interior. Evolution Imports Osiris Skidplate.

So far just over 10,200 kms on it

doc_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 13:00   #6
whitedog
Veteran Member

The only long term problems is if you leave it in there. Get it out and replaced with the right stuff and all will be fine.
Old January 19th, 2007, 13:03   #7
thollar

Thanks Eric - I've tried searching using several different terms ("mix G12" ect.), but - I haven't been able to locate other threads on this topic. If you could suggest a link or search term, that would be great.
Old January 19th, 2007, 13:29   #8
mrGutWrench
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 63 MPG/56/47 (2nd tank) '02 Sedab

Quote:
Originally Posted by thollar
Thanks Eric - I've tried searching using several different terms ("mix G12" ect.), but - I haven't been able to locate other threads on this topic. If you could suggest a link or search term, that would be great.
__. Yeah, it turns to a thick sludge if the two types are left in there for any particular period of time. Gunks up radiators, engine passages, water pumps, etc. We highly trained automotive types describe this as "not a good thing".
Old January 19th, 2007, 13:37   #9
weedeater
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54/43/38

Think pink jello.

Where is it leaking from?

The game of Bridge is like Sex: You need either a good partner or a good hand.

You're either part of the solution or you're part of the precipitate.
weedeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 14:09   #10
karlaudi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: (2002) 41 mpg @ 85 mph +/- 10 mph @ 3,100 rpm with A/C on @ 90 degrees F, fully loaded

Quote:
Hi,

My coolant is/was leaking when the engine is running at a higher capacity (going up into the mountains). It is a 98 Jetta TDI. A shop told me that I could use O'Reilly 50/50 AntiFreeze. Well, I am now told that you cannot mix the the G12 with any other anti-freeze - that it will cause great harm to the engine. Am I hosed? Can I flush all of the anti-freeze? What causes coolant to leak when the engine is running at a higher RPM?

I appreciate your help.

Todd
VW/Audi have a specific technical bulletin on G12/G11 antfreeze and what is acceptable in terms of mixing and what is not. I'll post the number from my archives ASAP.

In short -FLUSH, RUN THE ENGINE WITH CLEAR WATER to OPERATING TEMP. --COOL DOWN, FLUSH, REPEAT PROCESS, DRAIN, Fill with the correct G12 VW /Audi approved Coolant.

Pressure test with a Stant Cooling Sytem tester using the correct adapters, (Check the radiator cap too ) look for leaks everywhere, and all prior to filling with new coolant.
2012 Volkswagen Golf 2.0 TDi (new 04/2012)
karlaudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 14:23   #11
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

Quote:
A shop told me that I could use O'Reilly 50/50 AntiFreeze.
Find another shop... actually, one of the TDI-Club Gurus is in Aurora... have him check your car out - especially the timing...

Steve Carroll... userID here is "scarroll"

All the best,

Yuri.
ymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 21:50   #12
doc_m
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

In my bently it states that under no circumstances should g12 be mixed with any other type of coolant.

Do work on cars like intake cleanings, nozzle swaps, brakes etc.... Hex usb + can now

2009 Jetta TDI Comfortline with ESP and beige leather interior. Evolution Imports Osiris Skidplate.

So far just over 10,200 kms on it

doc_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 23:01   #13
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

Another OAT coolant will mix fine when G12 isn't available, and heaven knows it is hard enough to locate.

The green stuff won't work. That is what causes the sludge that the chicken littles are screaming about.

I have used Dexcool without mishap for quite a while (i.e. years). Strangely enough, my engine not only is not a ticking bomb, but is running quite well on a mixture.

Flame on if you like. Flamers cannot disprove my experience.
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 07:33   #14
whitedog
Veteran Member

Powder hound, I would be interested in seeing what your water pump looks like. I'm not flaming, I just interested.
Old January 20th, 2007, 10:03   #15
Dimitri16V
Veteran Member

Before jumping to conclusions check the ingredients on the Oreilly coolant, if it lists silicates or phosphates, you better start flushing. If it lists organic additives such sodium decanoate/benzoate, you have nothing to worry about. G12 will mix with Dexcool approved coolants , the mixture just won't last as long as pure G12
Dimitri16V is offline   Reply With Quote