www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Mid-west USA

Mid-west USA Local discussions for those on the Mid-West US. ( Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, Missouri)

Old February 12th, 2015, 20:42   #7171
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

My heat used to kick ass
then I deleted the egr cooler and all that

Planning on an exhaust heat recovery dealiemabob, just gotta get around to doing it.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 14:48   #7172
sirpuddingfoot
Veteran Member

Anyone interested in a silver '05 mk4 5spd with 130k and a brand new set of general altimax Arctic tires? I won't be needing it in Seattle. Oh, btw, I'm moving to Seattle.

I think we are going to keep the b5.5 and sell the mk4.

Also for sale: 1983 Honda Cb1000c cheap, runs.

Let me know. I'll be around until at least mid March.
Old February 13th, 2015, 16:03   #7173
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

Tell us all about the old Honda.... miles, pics, history, $$.

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 04:51   #7174
Couleetdi
Veteran Member

Default Cold Jetta

I had a similar problem till I replaced the thermostat, which was a big help. I only drive 13 miles to work, half that at 55 mph, the rest in town at 25-45ish.

What alos helped, was I put my aluminum belly pan back on. That keeps the cold wind off the bottom of the engine. yesterday here in Wisconsin, it wa -4 F, I start my car, let it run maybe 45 seconds, then I pull out and go. My SCangauge said water temp at start up was 19 F, within two miles at 55mph, I was already at 89 degrees, when I hit 100 F water temp, I turn on fan on low. This 03 Jetta heats up nicely, I almost always hit 180 or by the time to get to work, about 20 minutes. I have no heated seats either.

You will b surprised how much that belly pan makes a difference on how fast the engine warms up. I have an Evolution brand, but others are just fine as well.

My two cents.

couleetdi
Old February 14th, 2015, 08:49   #7175
1st_TDI:)

Fuel Economy: 39.5-49 mpg (best day)

One of my boys may be interested in the Jetta. Can you send PM with pics & pricing?

Thanks
1st_TDI:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 13:10   #7176
sirpuddingfoot
Veteran Member

1st, I will when I get back on Tuesday (currently visiting my wife in Seattle). I hadn't actually expected to get a bite right away.

40X40, the '83 has about 65k miles. I bought it 3.5 years ago with 61k. It's the brown color, has a set of vetter bags that don't quite match the brown (aren't pretty either) and adjustable back rest, comes with a basic grab rail too. The 80-82 cb900c and 83 cb1000c are the weird 10 speed bikes. They have a high/low sub-transmission to switch the output from the left to the right side. In reality, it's more like a 6spd.

+I went through the carbs completely last year.
+New fork seals
+agm battery
+only 500 miles on the valve shim adjustment
+has both side covers
+ only 800 miles on the front tire and life left in the rear
+new brake pads
-one of the mufflers (of 4) is cracked
-needs a new speedo gear at the wheel (5 minute job one you find the part)
-not pretty

It's a good bike to get you from here to there if you aren't too concerned with looks, or a good base to start a project. It was a good commuter with the bags.

I'm thinking $1000.
Old February 14th, 2015, 22:17   #7177
djnelsontdi

Fuel Economy: 49.3/27.9/34.9

Anybody notice the fuel, diesel price at Mills Fleet Farm in Blaine lately? I've been filling up there and the price has been $.15 to $.40 cheaper than the stations along Hwy 65. Today I paid $2.579 a gallon, and on Hwy 65 the stations have it advertised at $2.799.
djnelsontdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 23:00   #7178
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnelsontdi View Post
Anybody notice the fuel, diesel price at Mills Fleet Farm in Blaine lately? I've been filling up there and the price has been $.15 to $.40 cheaper than the stations along Hwy 65. Today I paid $2.579 a gallon, and on Hwy 65 the stations have it advertised at $2.799.
It's usually significantly cheaper than anywhere around. Always where I fill up, except when I happen by too late at night and they're closed. (Who closes pay at the pump? They do... )
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 23:20   #7179
kbrenny
Veteran Member

Last December on my trip from Dallas to Mora we stopped in Cambridge for fuel at 12:30 am and pay at the pump at all the stations near 65 were turned off except the one next to Mc Donalds, which happened to still be open with someone working inside.

I have seen some cities start an ordinance where stations must have an attendant on duty for the pumps to be functional. I hope this isn't going to start happening as I use pay at the pump quite often. Even more so when driving 18 hours non stop.
kbrenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 00:14   #7180
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnelsontdi View Post
Lately the cheapest stations have been along Hiway 61 in Hugo, or maybe it's WBL, and at the Holiday in Columbus just north of the 35E-35W merge, and at nearly all the stations in Lino Lakes. So I'm not surprised that Fleet Farm off the Lexington exit would try to be competitive with them.

Generally speaking, diesel prices are no longer falling and in some cases they've gone up a bit. Most of the Freedom stations were $2.699 and they all went to $2.799 several days ago. But diesel prices have not risen like gasoline prices have -- RUG was $1.89 a month ago and now $2.29 is common. I think this just means there was a healthy profit margin built into diesel prices and now that margin has diminished.
'03 Golf with 750k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, PP 2.5" downpipe, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilstein HDs, Recaros, Akebono pads/Brembo rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Blizzaks, TDT or Delvac1
Like TDI Club? Got PayPal? Got $1 or $5 or $10? Contribution link on the main page.
TornadoRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 01:56   #7181
kbrenny
Veteran Member

I paid $1.72 a gallon this evening for RUG here in Dallas, but diesel is still around $2.67/ gal here.
kbrenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 07:19   #7182
Redlabel6
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A3 51mpg, B5.5 38mpg
Default 98 Jetta TDI

I have my 98 Jetta TDI on Craigslist if anyone knows of someone that might be looking. http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...881194092.html
My daughter has a newer car now, so something needs to go!

David
Redlabel6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 19:16   #7183
ajaxstar

Default original owner car dealer

Has anyone had any interactions with the original owner car dealership out of Eden Prairie, MN? I was just curious as it seems they sell a number of TDIs and I was going to take a look at one of their vehicles.
ajaxstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 19:54   #7184
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxstar View Post
Has anyone had any interactions with the original owner car dealership out of Eden Prairie, MN? I was just curious as it seems they sell a number of TDIs and I was going to take a look at one of their vehicles.
I looked at the Craigslist ads and was not impressed. Your best bet is to find a privately-owned TDI with complete maintenance records. And, right now is still a good time to buy a used TDI -- demand for them generally increases in the spring and summer, and the prices go up a bit.
'03 Golf with 750k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, PP 2.5" downpipe, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilstein HDs, Recaros, Akebono pads/Brembo rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Blizzaks, TDT or Delvac1
Like TDI Club? Got PayPal? Got $1 or $5 or $10? Contribution link on the main page.
TornadoRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 05:53   #7185
SpamJ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/45/30

You know it's a cold morning, when you think the person in the next car is waving at you, so you wave back, only to realize, they are scraping the interior frost off their side windows.
SpamJ is offline   Reply With Quote