www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old February 19th, 2019, 18:28   #1
danleym

TDI(s): 2000 Jetta
Default Yet another bungled timing belt thread...

Yes, I changed my own timing belt and now my car won't start. I'm that guy. Awesome. I think I've figured out why, but wanted to run it by you all:

I know the crank and cam are timed correctly- double and triple checked- they're at TDC at the same time. The injection pump, on the other hand, I think that's where I went wrong, despite following a write up...

What I've read, it the hole for the locking pin should be at about 1 o'clock when the engine is at TDC. Mine is closer to 3 o'clock. If I'm thinking correctly, I should be able to undo everything, keep the crank and cam timed together, and then manually rotate the injection pump until that hole is at roughly 1 o'clock, and hopefully that will get it in a start window, and from there I can fine tune with vag-com?

How does that sound to you more experienced folks? Right path or terrible idea? Any other thoughts?
danleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2019, 18:34   #2
Nero Morg
Veteran Member

Should look something like this. And yeah it's definitely closer to the 1 o clock position. Sounds like you have it too far over.
Midwest Light Creation's HID headlights
Nero Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2019, 04:14   #3
WildChild80
Veteran Member

Quick and easy, lock the cam with the number 1 cylinder lobes facing in a semi upward direction, pin the pump, you can't eyeball it. You're in suckville if you need to move the sprocket...I've had to a time or 2 and it was usually about 2 am when I came to the conclusion

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
WildChild80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2019, 05:33   #4
jmodge
Veteran Member

There is a recess, or false hole you can easily catch. The line up tool will drop in there, won't be as deep and the tool will be loose. When you catch the proper pin hole in the pump the tool will slide in deeper and fit snug. You are on the right track, just redo it, with a mirror you can see the hole.
Old February 20th, 2019, 05:36   #5
jmodge
Veteran Member

Don't forget to do 2 complete revolutions by hand to insure crank and cam are timed, redo the tensioner also.
Old February 20th, 2019, 06:19   #6
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

I'm real good at flipping the pulley over at this point
just about half the time I get it 180 out, haha
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2019, 06:42   #7
Metal Man

With the belt off you may just want to remove the pump pulley to get a better idea of where you need it to be.
Always lock everything down before you remove the old belt. I also mark the flywheel so that I know for sure I'm looking at the correct mark.

Last edited by Metal Man; February 20th, 2019 at 12:51.
Metal Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2019, 09:13   #8
super1
Veteran Member

TDI(s): none

Quote:
Originally Posted by danleym View Post
Yes, I changed my own timing belt and now my car won't start. I'm that guy. Awesome. I think I've figured out why, but wanted to run it by you all:

I know the crank and cam are timed correctly- double and triple checked- they're at TDC at the same time. The injection pump, on the other hand, I think that's where I went wrong, despite following a write up...

What I've read, it the hole for the locking pin should be at about 1 o'clock when the engine is at TDC. Mine is closer to 3 o'clock. If I'm thinking correctly, I should be able to undo everything, keep the crank and cam timed together, and then manually rotate the injection pump until that hole is at roughly 1 o'clock, and hopefully that will get it in a start window, and from there I can fine tune with vag-com?

How does that sound to you more experienced folks? Right path or terrible idea? Any other thoughts?

Injection Pump hole should line up with the square- rectangle block onto of pump like this:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
super1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2019, 12:16   #9
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Believe I was able to see the hole (and the "sucker" hole) behind the pulley. Believe it's square to the pump, about 1 o'clock I guess, referenced to dead level. Simply re-align the 3 points until you're sure, car will run.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2019, 17:05   #10
Genesis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/48/42

Exactly. See that square raised boss on the pump case? The hole is DIRECTLY aligned with it. IF that's not the hole you're in it's the WRONG HOLE (that's what she said ;-))
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2019, 17:45   #11
wonneber
Veteran Member

Just want to add you can see how far the tool went in in the 2nd picture.
No pun intended Genesis
wonneber is offline   Reply With Quote