www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old February 19th, 2019, 19:30   #16
vincej
Veteran Member

I'd like to replace radio as well as speakers. Base model system not very nice at all, not great sound, no blue tooth and not even aux input.
vincej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2019, 12:40   #17
apeck618

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid86 View Post
I added sound deadening/dampening to the door panels and inside the door. I really think it helped with the Fender speaker sound. As for now Iím pretty satisfied and will tinker with something elseólike the wifeís Ď18 Outback speakers!

Do you think the fender woofers are the best route since they are plug and play? I can get a set on ebay for like 50 bucks a set.
apeck618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2019, 20:01   #18
nucklehead
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38

I had the Fender Audio in my 2013 Jetta, which I turned in, TDi and all. The audio was pretty decent, and IIRC it had an 8" sub up under the rear shelf in the trunk area. If you have a 4 door Golf like mine why not install a decent quality 6.5" sub in one or both rear doors? You'd have to get a new head unit, but you've already mentioned doing that. You'd need a small sub that could go under one of the front seats. Buy single coil drivers and you'll have less complications.

Save your money and don't buy a 6.5" 3 way speaker. They aren't really three way, they're too small, regardless of the marketing ploy used they aren't three way. That little button of maybe 2" isn't going to sound as good as a 2 way of similar price IMO. You might explore the idea of installing a bare 6.5" woofer in the front doors, without a tweeter. You can add a surface mount tweeter on the A pillar, or maybe in the foot well, out of the way, of course.

Infinity Kappa component speakers will make for a very good sound system. They will need a sub to round out the audio frequency. A low pass filter for the rear 6.5" sub will shunt the highs out so it plays only from about 60-100hz. I'd shoot for 100hz since low frequencies are not nearly as directional as frequencies above 100hz. When you hear that dude with the dual 15" ported subs in the trunk of his car you can't really localize it very well. Thats a limitation of the human ears.

If you don't use the cargo area very much you can explore mounting areas for a larger sub. If you want the dual 15" ported subs that might just explode your hatchback glass there's plenty of room for that. A more sane subwoofer would be an 8-10" driver in a sealed enclosure. If you like music the way it was meant to be heard you won't get those big 15" ported subs. You'll get a quality 8-10" driver and a sealed enclosure.

You can go crazy with car audio but it will never sound as good as a top notch home stereo. Too much traffic and road noise. I'm happy with my RCD 510 with 6 cd changer, but I don't spend a lot of time in the car very often. I do have the cd changer loaded up with 6 cds loaded with MP3 320 music. I think I could drive from coast to coast without hearing the same song twice.

Current Daily - 2013 Golf TDI/DSG

Last edited by nucklehead; February 22nd, 2019 at 20:04.
nucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2019, 10:25   #19
elcid86
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeck618 View Post
Do you think the fender woofers are the best route since they are plug and play? I can get a set on ebay for like 50 bucks a set.

Sorry I really couldnít say as I havenít compared it to not having one or other aftermarket options. Iím not a huge base thumping guy anyways.

2015 Golf TDI SEL DSG - White Wabbit
2004 BMW 330i ZHP - Red Rehab
elcid86 is offline   Reply With Quote