Uncomfortable door panels

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Hello guys/gals.

I am trying to find a solution to the horrible padding that is on the door panel on the MKV-MKVI Jetta/Sportwagens.

I took on a new job last year and have been driving about 800 miles a week, and find that my elbow is constantly begging for more padding on the arm rest. I would have asked this Q on Vortex, but all the cool kids are now on Facebook and I don't do Zuckland, sorry. I figured there has to be a few road warriors out there like myself who complain about the comfort of their car.

Has anyone done any improvements to their door cards to prevent this issue? I doubt I am the only one with a sore elbow.

I was looking at upgrading to a MKVI door card, but speakers are in different locations would require a whole lot of modification to make them work. I am almost ready to swap the doors if that would help. I don't want to buy a new car, but if I could improve the comfort of my current one that would be great.

See pic of MKVI door panel which has more padding and looks IMHO much better.

Last edited:

piotrsko

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf, 2000 F-250 (7.3)
Shrink your pictures. Cant read the question.

Probably any car upholstery place could make you a set of padded foam covers to glue on the ones you have now. Or motor sheep seatcovers could do a custom.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Sorry, I edited them out in Tapatalk. Not sure if they got resized or not.

Just looking for ideas on making the panels more comfortable without looking gaudy.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
I don't, or haven't had the elbow issue, but my right knee gets sore rubbing against the hard edge of the Center console.
I just bought 3 yards of perforated black vinyl that I might use for the seat retrim, but for sure, I will make a little pad for the console.
Let me look at mine and see if I can cobble something up...

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
I am ok with the console, it's the bloody arm rest on the door that is driving me nuts. I am going to be getting the doors redone with more padding come motorcycle riding season. Keep the miles off my car.

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
Armrest on the Mk7 sucks **** compared to the MK6, so I see your pain. Nasty, thin vinyl. That said, the Mk6 wasn't a whole lot better. I would just buy a (color-matched) thin gel pad, honestly.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Going to be at the upholstery shop next month for some custom work, and I will ask about the arm rest rework with some foam. It's driving me nuts, mk6 door panels don't work as the doors are different. I don't think door swap is possible.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Either put a gel pad on the armrest or put one around your arm. That's what my doctor prescribed for me (a sheath with a liner of gel) because I have damage to my elbow and nerves from resting my arm in the same way you're describing (mine on tables rather than driving). I went in for carpal tunnel because that's what I've always heard discussed but turns out I have cubital tunnel syndrome. It's the same nerve that you smack on your "funny bone" and gives you the same sensation of a funny bone ding or when something asleep is starting to wake up (pins and needles).

If you're getting any of those sensations you've got to get something protecting that nerve line (ulnar that wraps over your elbow nub) before you wind up like me and have to sleep in a semi-rigid cast around your elbow and forearm :(

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914