www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Mid-west USA

Mid-west USA Local discussions for those on the Mid-West US. ( Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, Missouri)

Old February 5th, 2019, 20:09   #7951
GlowBugTDI

Fuel Economy: 43 mpg average

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Chris View Post
Malone and RC modify the ECM programming based on injectors and turbo. A tuning box typically messes with the signal at the injection pump to give you more fuel. I personally really like RC3.
Not to have two conversations going at once but... ok so it's kinda like a fancy evry mod, cool!

Also I know it's probably been discussed like a thousand times on the forum but since you mentioned it, how many mpg are you getting with a RC3? and would i need to upgrade my clutch? I was thinking i'd doing a stage malone or RC stage 2, because I know someone in the area with a few TDI's and he said you only lose 2-3 mpg with a malone stage 2, and the power increase is really nice. sooo, I was thinking that would make my bug ride a bit nicer, faster 0-60, and better for pulling a trailer while still giving me good mpg LOL.
Thanks.

Last edited by GlowBugTDI; February 5th, 2019 at 20:12.
GlowBugTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2019, 05:24   #7952
SpamJ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/45/30

I think I'm running an RC1plus, and my clutch couldn't handle it, but mine is an '02 and had the weaker clutch. One caveat I have is that I enjoyed the fifth gear pull so much I toasted the synchros in 5th. So I'd advise against hitting resume at 20, when the speed was originally set for 75. At least repeatedly.
SpamJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2019, 06:09   #7953
GlowBugTDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamJ View Post
I think I'm running an RC1plus, and my clutch couldn't handle it, but mine is an '02 and had the weaker clutch. One caveat I have is that I enjoyed the fifth gear pull so much I toasted the synchros in 5th. So I'd advise against hitting resume at 20, when the speed was originally set for 75. At least repeatedly.
I'm sorry but I don't quite know what you mean by this.
"So I'd advise against hitting resume at 20, when the speed was originally set for 75. At least repeatedly" Are you talking about cruise control?
Old February 6th, 2019, 07:07   #7954
SpamJ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/45/30

With a stick shift, you can leave it in fifth, and while the cruise control is on, hit the resume speed button. The rush of torque from 20MPH to 75MPH is pretty addictive, but bad for transmission.
SpamJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2019, 09:57   #7955
GlowBugTDI

oh ok, I haven't used that before, but good to know thanks. I would like to get a tune at some point i just don't really want to change my clutch at least not now (i don't trust my mechanic skills enough to tear apart my drive system especially with limited space).
Thanks for the feedback!
Old February 9th, 2019, 13:37   #7956
KomarekTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54/47/43
Default 18” R32 Aristo wheels for sale - Stillwater $400

Hi everyone, figured I’d throw this out there for the local MN TDI crowd. I have a nice set of wheels from a MK4 R32 / GTI 20th Anniv that need a new home. I sold my TDI and the wheels were not included in the deal. $400 for club members, $500 for everyone else on CL. No tires, just the wheels. PM me if you’re interested. They are in very nice shape. Small amount of curb rash on one wheel (from R32 owner) but it is hardly noticeable and they look awesome.
This forum has been a fantastic part of the TDI ownership experience so I’d like to extend a sincere thank you to those of you that have contributed helpful information to myself or others. Especially some of the “old timers” like Glen (MOGolf), Mark, GeWilli, DBW, etc. THANK YOU.
Old February 14th, 2019, 11:02   #7957
indigoTDI
Veteran Member

ok - snow... you got me.

I know there has been plenty of complaining about Continentals and now I know why - terrible with even a little dusting. I used to run Nokian on the '02 and liked them - but I hear the new generation Nokian WRG4 are outstanding. Any one running on these year round? I'm reading online some pretty good reviews - but I tend to trust this group's opinion.
1968 F100
1967 Porsche 912 - gone
indigoTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2019, 12:47   #7958
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

I ran Nokians several years ago but they were pretty expensive. So I've switched to Blizzaks and haven't been stuck yet. But I will say that I'm pretty cautious on glare ice.

I only run them November through April.
'03 Golf with 750k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, PP 2.5" downpipe, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilstein HDs, Recaros, Akebono pads/Brembo rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Blizzaks, TDT or Delvac1
Like TDI Club? Got PayPal? Got $1 or $5 or $10? Contribution link on the main page.
TornadoRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2019, 14:17   #7959
indigoTDI
Veteran Member

I just can't stand Blizzaks on dry pavement - even for a minute - like driving on marshmallows. The old WRs were pretty good - and like you said $$$, but I didn't need to swap them with snows and I got 45-50K out of them without a hit to mpg. Unless someone has bought the WRG4s and hated them - I think I'll give them a try. if they suck you will see them shortly on CL in Rochester - ha, ha...
1968 F100
1967 Porsche 912 - gone
Old February 14th, 2019, 14:22   #7960
indigoTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowBugTDI View Post
Umm maybe it's not any of my busyness, but just curious what exactly does the tuning box do? Does it make a difference over the stock motor power/milage wise? Is this kinda like a chip tune like Malone or RC? Sorry for all the questions, but I was thinking about maybe getting a Malone stage2, but I am wondering how this compares, and what exactly it does.
Thank you,
GlowBugTDI
It doesn't compare to a good reflash - but it does seem to pull a little harder and some have claimed that if set right it will increase mpg... don't know about that. BUT it sure feels like it's added a few hp. Not 100% sure - but I think it fools the car into thinking it isn't getting enough fuel and just dumps in more - thus the smoke... I'll defer to Curious Chris on this
1968 F100
1967 Porsche 912 - gone

Last edited by indigoTDI; February 14th, 2019 at 14:25.
Old February 15th, 2019, 10:19   #7961
Curious Chris
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47/42/38

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigoTDI View Post
It doesn't compare to a good reflash - but it does seem to pull a little harder and some have claimed that if set right it will increase mpg... don't know about that. BUT it sure feels like it's added a few hp. Not 100% sure - but I think it fools the car into thinking it isn't getting enough fuel and just dumps in more - thus the smoke... I'll defer to Curious Chris on this
RC3 is a very nice tune for a stock car. 18 psi boost with PP520's is a nice combo. Of course RC4 with VNT 17-22 and big FMIC is a riot to drive.
Curious Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2019, 12:24   #7962
Curious Chris
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
check your freeze protection, coolant will freeze in the radiator and then you'll overheat from no flow through the radiator
it freezes early if it is mixed both too thick or too thin, so make sure to use an actual coolant tester

Checked the coolant: -22F. The issue has a pattern. The engine warms up quickly and it stays stuck at the mythical 190 for quite a while. But if you drive it long enough: Mpls to Rosedale, no problem, almost made it back and the temperature pegged.

Changed thermostat yesterday. More testing tonight

Last edited by Curious Chris; February 18th, 2019 at 06:07.
Old February 18th, 2019, 09:07   #7963
GlowBugTDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Chris View Post
RC3 is a very nice tune for a stock car. 18 psi boost with PP520's is a nice combo. Of course RC4 with VNT 17-22 and big FMIC is a riot to drive.
That sounds like fun! I know this probably isn't the right thread to ask this question but since we're already on the topic. Do you know about how much the first set up makes your MPG drop? I am getting new injectors this spring so if I'm going to make any changes that will be the time to do it.
Old February 18th, 2019, 10:48   #7964
Curious Chris
Veteran Member

No drop in mileage. But with 18 psi boost and PP520's you will need to replace your clutch. When I first got my car (2002) I got an Upsolute tune. Then I added PP520's and I got clutch slip in 5th gear. So I put in a Performance clutch. Then a couple years later I went with RC1, then RC2, then RC3; about 100,000 lunched stock turbo. Then VNT 17-22 and RC 4 + another clutch now a steel flywheel with South Bend Endurance stage 2; and at after about 100,000 miles (300,000 on engine) I put a rod through the side of the block.
Old February 18th, 2019, 18:38   #7965
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowBugTDI View Post
That sounds like fun! I know this probably isn't the right thread to ask this question but since we're already on the topic. Do you know about how much the first set up makes your MPG drop? I am getting new injectors this spring so if I'm going to make any changes that will be the time to do it.
going from stock to big injectors and big compound turbos (and a poorly set up DIY remap) I gained a few MPG along with a lot of speed
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote