www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old February 13th, 2019, 14:26   #1
nectarguru
Veteran Member

Default Ice on the clutch or something worse?

I stopped at the touchless car wash a little bit ago, and when I was pulling out I noticed a prominent clunk or interference in the clutch when depressing. I could hear it and feel it in the pedal, but the car still shifted just fine. It stayed for another 10-15 presses then disappeared. My first thought is that it's somehow ice related, given the 25 degree temperature, but this has never happened after 4 winters with this car. I've also never heard of ice building up on the clutch. It went away, but obviously I'd like to rule out something more serious that might be starting to show itself.

Last edited by nectarguru; February 13th, 2019 at 14:32.
nectarguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2019, 09:07   #2
740GLE
Veteran Member

Any ice in your wheels barrels or rockers/wheel wells that got dislodged in the car wash?

I believe the clutch is pretty well sealed.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2019, 15:56   #3
adjat84th
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~50 in mixed driving

The only hole you can see through to the bell housing is blocked by the belly pan, there is no inspection cover. I'd imagine it near impossible for water to get in that hole because it would have to be a direct shot into it. How many miles are on the car? Has the brake/clutch fluid been flushed yet?

'01 Jetta | 17/22, 3bar MAP, 11mm IP/Lift pump, PD 150, OMI, FMIC, PP502s, SBC st3, .685 5th, Malone Stage 5
'15 Golf | GTD1752vrk, 4bar MAP, CP3, Peloquin LSD, Sachs SRE w/DMF, Fluidampr
adjat84th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2019, 19:01   #4
nectarguru
Veteran Member

Some car buddies have assured me that the clutch is sealed, but icing can occur. Not a proper explanation of course, but I'm left shrugging my shoulders.

The car has about 101k miles, and I've not flushed the fluids yet.

The problem has not happened since, even on a longer trip to Chicago and the car sitting outside overnight in the cold. At 101k I should be having some fluid work done anyways...I've done gear oil changes in my MK4, but what's the job like on the MK7?
Old February 16th, 2019, 22:14   #5
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Almost no chance there was ice on the clutch or in the bellhousing. That area gets warmed by friction, the engine, and transmission. In addition to being pretty well sealed off. Something else was going on. Did you have the car in neutral going through? Maybe some ice formed on the shift linkage or cables.

Last edited by turbobrick240; February 16th, 2019 at 22:28.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2019, 19:20   #6
nectarguru
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
Almost no chance there was ice on the clutch or in the bellhousing. That area gets warmed by friction, the engine, and transmission. In addition to being pretty well sealed off. Something else was going on. Did you have the car in neutral going through? Maybe some ice formed on the shift linkage or cables.
The car was in neutral. It's the type of car wash where you pull in and park, then the jets move around you. I always get the undercarriage option as well. I never noticed the clunk in the shifter itself, only in the clutch pedal. To me it felt more like I was grinding or crushing something, hence the ice suspicion. Like I said though, it hasn't come back since.
Old February 17th, 2019, 20:49   #7
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

I wouldn't worry too much about the gear oil yet. You're overdue for a brake/clutch fluid flush though. You'll want DOT 4 brake fluid for that.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote