www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Non VW Group Diesels

Non VW Group Diesels This section is for discusion of Non VWGroup Diesels.

Old February 17th, 2019, 09:43   #886
tomo366
TDI Lifer, Member #131

The Wife took my BMW to a TNT meet in Greensboro NC got to within 5 Minutes of their destination got rear ended at a light.....The Guys Passenger came up and asked if everyone was ok.....and said follow me and disappeared driving away is Air bag blew and front bumper hanging off.....but got away Pissed damaged doesn’t seem that bad.....but havent seen my car in person yet....however looking for a new Bumper Cover online said discontinued!
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black!

Last edited by tomo366; February 17th, 2019 at 09:46.
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2019, 17:10   #887
JDSwan87
Black Swamp Thing

Tomo, as long as your wife is ok, that's all that matters. The guy that hit and ran will get his come uppins

Stella (Mine now): 2005 Shadow Blue Jetta Wagon TDI 09A
Mods: RC1. VCDS HEX-CAN USB (near Toledo, OH)
JDSwan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2019, 17:45   #888
tomo366
TDI Lifer, Member #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSwan87 View Post
Tomo, as long as your wife is ok, that's all that matters. The guy that hit and ran will get his come uppins
There were 4 people in my Car they say they are OK....
Old March 3rd, 2019, 10:54   #889
nicklockard
Torque Dorque

Fuel Economy: No data yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jck66 View Post
@nicklockard, please share your experience with the execuhitch installation and use? I'm considering one for my F10 535d and would be interested in information other than marketing materials. TIA!
Hi,

I've completed the installation of the Execuhitch (Invisihitch). BTW they are two brand names for one company since Execuhitch was bought out by IH. The landing pages (and promo videos on youtube, etcetera) for marketing purposes still have Execuhitch, but the company reps who took my order and payment are Invisihitch. Anyways, a good company from what I can tell.

The finished installation is nearly invisible. You can only see the chain attachment tangs and a small rectangle. I'll post a picture in a bit. I think it looks really nice.

The hitch installation I would rate as 8/10 for ease of installation. I deduct 2 points for minor fitment issues:
  1. The hangars for attaching bumper skin to are too thick to fit the stock clips. You have to grind them down thinner, which leaves them susceptible to rust, unless you also powder coat the freshly ground steel afterwards.
  2. You DO have to cut out a minor amount of plastic to make room for the working end of the receiver. However, it does not show unless you are literally under the car. I don't mind, but the instructions should have mentioned this.

For function I would rate it at 8/10--only because I haven't really put much load on it yet. I stood atop the hitch ball with my weight and a heavy object with the bumper skin not yet re-installed, in order to view how much the unibody flexes near the bolt/flange locations. It was about 3mm by my eyeball, but evenly distributed. I'd say that this is within normal service limits for the unibody--as it was engineered with a European OEM hitch almost exactly the same design. My body weight plus the item I held was very close to the stated 250 lb tongue limits, so I thought it a decent approximation.

My trailer is variable ride-height air ride with load leveling Hensley hitch, so I'm not worried much about frame/unibody issues.
I did attach the trailer (to the hitch ball and without the load leveling or Hensley hitch) and rode around for testing, and I nearly forgot it was back there within minutes. The car and ride is nice and settled. Air ride on both ends really helps. But, I credit the Invisihitch for being well engineered. It's super solid, alignment is perfect, torque specifications were clear and easy, and it calls out thread-locking compounds where appropriate, plus they include all hardware.

There is no noise, clanking, or flexion during towing. I paid $684. I rate overall value at 7/10 at this time. If Invisihitch reads this, I'd suggest:
  1. At this price point, the directions should be PERFECT at the very least.
  2. The attachment tabs should be correctly sized
  3. They should provide a cutting template for a perfectly shaped/sized square hole in the bumper skin to give room for the hitch (plus, you need a bit of clearance to get your fingers in to reach the lighting plug).
  4. Provide an alternate mount for mounting 7-pin trailer wiring connectors (like mine).

My score may change as I gain more experience using it in real life.

Last edited by nicklockard; March 3rd, 2019 at 11:10.
nicklockard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2019, 10:27   #890
jck66
Veteran Member

Thank you for sharing. Forgive the newbie questions, but did the vendor provide 7-pin wiring or did you finagle that yourself? The instructions for the F10 car only mention a 4-pin. I asked the sales rep about it via email and didn't really get a good answer. I don't own a trailer (nor have much experience with them) but it seems easier to adapt a 7 to 4 than the reverse. Then the car is prepared for either situation.
jck66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2019, 11:10   #891
nicklockard
Torque Dorque

Fuel Economy: No data yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jck66 View Post
Thank you for sharing. Forgive the newbie questions, but did the vendor provide 7-pin wiring or did you finagle that yourself? The instructions for the F10 car only mention a 4-pin. I asked the sales rep about it via email and didn't really get a good answer. I don't own a trailer (nor have much experience with them) but it seems easier to adapt a 7 to 4 than the reverse. Then the car is prepared for either situation.
Invisihitch vendor provides a 4-pin connector and their proprietary trailer lighting 'ECU' module which supposedly has a fault detection and recovery mode. It sounds cool, but I don't like the connectors--in my experience they're a common failure point. I want to do my trailer wiring once and only once

I'm making a hybrid 7-pin connector from:
  • 4 wire lighting (brakes, running, turning lights) using Tekonsha Zero Contact kit--this can not short. It is fault protected but does not have the fault recovery modes of the Invisihitch module
  • I may decide to integrate the Invisihitch module for fault recovery features using butt-spliced, crimped connections, after the Zero Contact kit...still debating if it's really necessary and worth the extra effort. Packaging is an issue because that stuff is bulky
  • 12VDC for trailer accessories which I'll just tap into a fused contact for
  • Electric trailer brakes
  • I may fun wire for trailer reverse lights, but it's not required for my trailer class

Lastly, I agree with your thoughts--it's easier to do it once for a 7-pin setup then 'dumb it down' to a 4 pin if all you ever tow is a small trailer. Most of the work is in getting the bumper skin off/on, setup, and packaging the various modules and wire bundles neatly. Once you get on a roll, you can crimp and heat shrink pretty fast. I'd rather do a 7 pin setup on one day and have it 'future proofed.'

Last edited by nicklockard; March 6th, 2019 at 15:32.
nicklockard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 13:34   #892
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo366 View Post
There were 4 people in my Car they say they are OK....
Four people in the car and no one managed to snap a pic of (or write down) the license number of the car that hit you?

That's kinda crazy.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 15:19   #893
tomo366
TDI Lifer, Member #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Addy View Post
Four people in the car and no one managed to snap a pic of (or write down) the license number of the car that hit you?
That's kinda crazy.
Steve
One of the people in the other car came up to us and asked if everyone was OK and said follow us and took off! My Daughter tried to chase them on foot......and the person who was sitting in our Passenger seat had knocked the plug out on my Dashcam....... so no no one got the tag # they were dragging their front Bumper and Both Airbags blew.....still upset! Got my car back today from the Bodyshop looks great!
Old March 10th, 2019, 13:00   #894
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo366 View Post
One of the people in the other car came up to us and asked if everyone was OK and said follow us and took off! My Daughter tried to chase them on foot......and the person who was sitting in our Passenger seat had knocked the plug out on my Dashcam....... so no no one got the tag # they were dragging their front Bumper and Both Airbags blew.....still upset! Got my car back today from the Bodyshop looks great!
Had to be a no-insurance deal I'd think. People are such a-holes, and I don't know why no-insurance penalties aren't stiffer.

No injuries and a car that looks good again is the takeaway. You can be thankful for that much at least.

You just gave me a good prodding to install a dashcam and hardwire it though. I hardwired my radar detector in the 335D. I guess that shows where my priorities are.

2011 BMW 335d - JR 2.8
Blue_Hen_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 13:51   #895
tomo366
TDI Lifer, Member #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Hen_TDI View Post
Had to be a no-insurance deal I'd think. People are such a-holes, and I don't know why no-insurance penalties aren't stiffer.

No injuries and a car that looks good again is the takeaway. You can be thankful for that much at least.

You just gave me a good prodding to install a dashcam and hardwire it though. I hardwired my radar detector in the 335D. I guess that shows where my priorities are.
Actually my Daughter is being treated for Whiplash.....I do have my Valentine one hard wired have to take it down in Va and DC.....sad the Dashcam was off when my Jeep Cherokee got totaled the Dashcam got me my Deductable back...