www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old February 13th, 2019, 14:06   #31
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

V10 is a more modern (to me) design. Even though it dates back to 1991, this "new" engine looks more like something from the '50s.

The current version of the V10 has a lot of oomph. They put it in the largest (light end of the medium duty) trucks they make.

But I agree that low tech sometimes just works to get the job done, and if it makes enough power and is durable, then so be it.

Last edited by oilhammer; February 13th, 2019 at 14:12.
oilhammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2019, 16:16   #32
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

It does have VVT, which I didn't even know was a thing in pushrod motors. There is something to be said for simplicity and durability in a truck engine. Like the venerable 300-6 that Ford made forever.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2019, 18:31   #33
oilhammer

GM has had vvt in pushrod engines for over a decade.
Old February 13th, 2019, 19:20   #34
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Yeah, I just discovered that. I haven't been keeping abreast of developments in domestic pushrod engines I guess. Time for a refresher course considering how much I enjoy the Cleetus Mcfarland youtube vids.
Old February 14th, 2019, 04:13   #35
oilhammer

The last hoorah for the 60 degree V6, which debuted WAY back in 1980 in the X-body, and was hardly a cutting edge engine even then, got VVT in both the 3.5L and 3.9L variations. And, truth be told, they pretty much fixed most all that was left of that engine family's shortcomings by then. Fixed the chronic intake gasket leaks the 3.1L and 3.4L had with torque limiters in them, fixed the head gasket blowing issues the 3.4L had with a proper MLS head gasket, further tweaked and improved the engine management system, and in some models mated to a more modern 6sp automatic provided by Aisin. Those 3.5L and 3.9L engines were pretty good, and reasonably powerful even if they didn't have a lofty peak HP number on paper. Then, once they pretty much perfected this engine family, which took 30 years, they dumped it and replaced it with the miserable chain chucking turd of the 3.6L.

So, the old pushrod engine quietly died in the 2011 Impala in the back of rental lots and motor pool fleets. Unloved, unknown, and forgotten.

They also use, and still use, VVT in the V8s and truck pushrod 4.3L V6. Along with cylinder deactivation, which causes a lot of problems because these have no tolerance for lack of PM. Which happens quite frequently in company trucks. And why we spend so much time replacing engines in them. Something the older GM trucks didn't have to worry about. The old 4.3L (which was, to all you rednecks, essentially a "three-fifty" with two cylinders lopped off), was a pretty tough engine. It could run with half its crankcase empty and still get the job done.
Old February 14th, 2019, 21:34   #36
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

GM catches a fair bit of flack around here, but I had an '87 Monte Carlo with the 4.3 and absolutely loved that car. I didn't drive it winters, so that helped. Those big engine bays and relatively simple engines sure made servicing them a lot more pleasant than most of today's cramped bays packed with junk.
Old February 15th, 2019, 05:06   #37
oilhammer

The G-body was pretty low tech, and that was one of the things that GM knew how to build as it was by then pretty ancient design wise. The fit and finish (body panel gaps, etc.) was pretty abysmal, but that type of stuff never caused an issue with getting the job done.

All my G-body cars were pretty junky, and I always felt like they looked best abandoned in the front yards of trailer parks along with their similar F-body brethren (of which I had a couple, too).

But now I kinda think it would be neat to find a nice, unmolested G-bpdy El Camino. May even grow a mullet back.

Some of the delinquent guys I ran with in my youth had a good relationship with a local auto recycler/scrapper, a friend of the family of one of us, so we were always doing odd jobs for him and he "paid" us with cars and parts and a little cash. One of the guy's mom had a G-body station wagon, a Buick Regal, with a blown-up 4.3L V6 diesel, but was otherwise in almost mint condition. We decided we wanted to swap engines and fix it up. We asked if we could find a small block Chevy (the redneck staple) to put in it. He told us we could use whatever we found, he didn't care. As luck would have it, he had a crashed... bad... 1980 Pontiac Trans Am Turbo in the yard, complete with its 4sp manual. Boys being boys... guess what we built?

Total sleeper. This fugly brown/maroon metallic Buick station wagon with a turbocharged V8 under the hood, and we were still using the original rear end from the diesel, so it was geared pretty low. It was a 1/4 mile blast, even if you were already in 4th halfway down the track. We must have burnt through 20 sets of rear tires on that thing.

Last edited by oilhammer; February 15th, 2019 at 05:26.
oilhammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2019, 05:48   #38
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

^ That's pretty awesome!
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2019, 06:19   #39
Jetta SS
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '98 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
But now I kinda think it would be neat to find a nice, unmolested G-bpdy El Camino. May even grow a mullet back.
Was playing some oddball streaming station the other day when a song came on called "Mullets and Monte Carlos" lol. You should go for it. That style must be making a comeback.

Last edited by Jetta SS; February 15th, 2019 at 07:56.
Jetta SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2019, 13:11   #40
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Everything is cyclical, so you know mullets will be making a comeback. I always thought it would be awesome to turbo my Monte and have a sort of Grand National/GNX knockoff. I sold that car for way too cheap (it was pristine) to a guy who said he was going to do a V8 swap and stock car race it. So it probably is beat to hell in some trailer park front yard or scrapyard by now.
Old February 15th, 2019, 22:45   #41
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

In my NSHO I get so tired of the concept of a hybrid or full electric anything. So where do these imbeciles think the electricity to power these cars is going to come from? I guess that you just shuffle over to the plug in in your house and the power is just magically there.

So how exactly is burning coal to produce electricity cleaner than burning others types of fossil fuels to directly produce automotive motion?
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing

Last edited by Ol'Rattler; February 15th, 2019 at 22:55.
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2019, 06:07   #42
jmodge
Veteran Member

It's not about common sense, it's about generating money within the confines of government intelligence.
Old February 16th, 2019, 17:12   #43
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Well, I like the idea of a twin turbo V6 Challenger with a mild hybrid system. The Hellcat/Demon was a neat novelty, but really isn't a sustainable production powertrain.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...ould-be-hybrid