www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old February 5th, 2019, 20:38   #16
750HMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikal View Post
750HMF, you have a point about the 'off-road' part. Then I would vote for an 0W-40 CJ-4/CK-4 that is not predominantly Group III oil base stock and relatively high TBN. Amsoil, Mobil (Delvac 1) and Shell T6 (might be hard to find in 0W-40) brands (in alphabetical order) have one with fairly good reputations.

The above is not an exclusive list. There are of course other brands that also meet the above criteria and the cost/benefit changes depending how many miles you put on average per year.
Oh ok, but how come a 0w40 instead of the 5w30 that most vw507 are? Will the 0w40 cost a bit of fuel mileage for the sake of longer lasting engine?

I'm currently using liqui moly 4200, but I can buy rotella T6 0w40 localy for half the price of the liqui moly if it's an acceptable replacement.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
750HMF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2019, 21:04   #17
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

I'm a fan of the Rotella 0w40, but there are hundreds of oils that are more than adequate. The 5w30 RT6 and 4200 among them. I wouldn't get too hung up on what the "best" oil is- just keep the sump full and change it at 10k and the engine will love it.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2019, 21:16   #18
750HMF

Not really hung up on the "best" oil. Was mostly just curious if an "offroad" 2015 passat tdi would get just as good lubrication from a non vw507 that's half the price, since no longer concerned about DPF.

In the past I've run the T6 in my old 7.3s and a 6.5 diesel..... but those are totally different beasts compared to the TDI lol

Thanks for input

Old February 6th, 2019, 06:17   #19
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

I agree with turbobrick240. There are many HDEO oils that would do the job in your Passat for at least 10K miles or more (with oil analysis to go much further). My suggestion about the 0W-40 had to do more with getting the most 'spread' for hot/cold weather and other added beneffits. In that note oils with VW 505 spec would also work with your Passat Common Rail TDI without DPF:

Castrol EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4
https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/F...PXE-B33J98.pdf
https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-03101.../dp/B00JGQLZSU
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-E...-5-QT/35931146

Mobil 1 FS 0W-40
https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/m...bil-1-fs#0W-40
https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-120760-.../dp/B00HG76A9A
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-0...-5-qt/23636902
tikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2019, 08:57   #20
750HMF

Thank you how the info, I appreciate it.

Old February 6th, 2019, 09:13   #21
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750HMF View Post
Not really hung up on the "best" oil. Was mostly just curious if an "offroad" 2015 passat tdi would get just as good lubrication from a non vw507 that's half the price, since no longer concerned about DPF.

In the past I've run the T6 in my old 7.3s and a 6.5 diesel..... but those are totally different beasts compared to the TDI lol

Thanks for input

Please stop using the term "offroad" and just say deleted like it is. Unless it really is only used for off road/racing purposes only. It only serves to make you sound deceitful and everyone knows what you are saying anyway. The we site has a rule on this anyway.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=396162
Old February 15th, 2019, 05:03   #22
Thunder Chicken

I’ve been running T6 5w40 on my deleted mk6 for about 100k km. Last winter I ran T6 0w40 because it got really really cold. I’m running 20k km oil change intervals. The oil is hard to see on the dipstick for quite a while when new. From the non existent EGR? I like T6 because I was using it it in all my vehicles, atv, small engines. The newest mix of T6 however they have removed the API Rating for gas engines, and I’m not smart enough to know why so I’ll likely stop using it in those applications but keep it in the TDI. I liked Buying it by the 5gal pail also. I’ve never done an oil analysis so I could be destroying my stuff I suppose. Also, Canadian Tire or my nearest Walmart do not carry VW507 oil, and the nearest dealer is 4 hours away so not using it is kind of convienent!!
Old February 15th, 2019, 11:32   #23
750HMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Chicken View Post
Iíve been running T6 5w40 on my deleted mk6 for about 100k km. Last winter I ran T6 0w40 because it got really really cold. Iím running 20k km oil change intervals. The oil is hard to see on the dipstick for quite a while when new. From the non existent EGR? I like T6 because I was using it it in all my vehicles, atv, small engines. The newest mix of T6 however they have removed the API Rating for gas engines, and Iím not smart enough to know why so Iíll likely stop using it in those applications but keep it in the TDI. I liked Buying it by the 5gal pail also. Iíve never done an oil analysis so I could be destroying my stuff I suppose. Also, Canadian Tire or my nearest Walmart do not carry VW507 oil, and the nearest dealer is 4 hours away so not using it is kind of convienent!!
Ok that's good to know. I see 18.9L Pail of T6 on sale at Canadian tire for $133 from time to time. Plus I just noticed that rotella has a $35 mail in rebate on the pails so that's pretty cheap!

Old February 15th, 2019, 15:53   #24
bizzle
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750HMF View Post
2015 passat tdi would get just as good lubrication from a non vw507 that's half the price, since no longer concerned about DPF.
The CJ4 is designed to maximize engine protection. 507 is designed to maximize emissions protection. Many variables regarding oil are subjective, but this question is easily answerable as the CJ4 is designed to provide as good, or better, lubrication for your *engine* than the 507.
bizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2019, 12:22   #25
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzle View Post
The CJ4 is designed to maximize engine protection. 507 is designed to maximize emissions protection. Many variables regarding oil are subjective, but this question is easily answerable as the CJ4 is designed to provide as good, or better, lubrication for your *engine* than the 507.

Also by definition a VW 507 and the CJ4 (or any other HDEO for that matter) are two 'different animals'. One might be better in terms of lubrication but factually we will not know unless you have many compared UOAs of the same engine in similar aging environments.
tikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2019, 20:48   #26
James & Son
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

If I had a deleted mark VI roller tappet engine, I would be running a 5w-30 or a 0w-30 HDEO depending if I was south or north in the winter year round and CK4 version. A light duty diesel engine with roller tappets is not pulling 30 tons. Your wasting fuel with a 40wt. oil. The PD is the only engine that needs a 5w-40 unless your engine is modified or pulling a trailer.

Last edited by James & Son; February 21st, 2019 at 20:50. Reason: for clarity
James & Son is online now   Reply With Quote