www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old February 10th, 2019, 16:58   #1
BTM307

Default New here!

Well it's nice to meet you all... I've been scanning this forum for about a week now. I've owned a few volkswagens... but got out of the game for a minute... anyways... I was looking through dealerships and saw a 14 sportwagen for sale last week... and couldn't get my mind away from buying one... which led to me spending the last week browsing EVERY certified Volkswagen dealer in the 48 continental United States looking for the one I wanted... Black Exterior... Black interior... TDI... Manual... Loaded.. and CPO. If you are wondering it is the second hardest variety of the car to find... next to the same exact car only with a red exterior... none the less... tomorrow I'll fly from Wyoming to Pennsylvania to pick up the one I want. I'll get to learn a lot about the thing as the first time I sit in it will be for a 1600 mile road trip... anyways I have a few questions.

Right off the bat what wheels and tires can I put on it to maximize fuel mileage?

Blacked put lights... is there a co.pany that makes actual covers? Or is it all DIY with tint and paint?

How about an after market led housing for the cargo light?

A mean looking front clip?

Are the frost heaters worth installing?

Links appreciated... I'll have many more questions... TIA -Vic

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
BTM307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2019, 17:24   #2
PRY4SNO
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Impressive

Welcome, Vic! Be sure to post some pics of the car and your road trip, I'm sure it'll be a blast. Depending on how heavy your right foot is you will probably only need to refill the tank twice (maybe three times). Pick up a bottle of Stanadyne or PowerService diesel additive while you're at it.

-- Low rolling resistance tires will help a bit, you can also spec the lightest weight available from the options you're interested in to help mileage. Narrow is better as it's less resistance. Stock size (205/55r16) is adequate for summer and winter duties.
Personally I worry more about grip from my rubber than weight and seek to reduce weight with the wheels first. Upgrading to some nice lightweight aftermarket forged wheels will help a lot more due to the greater reduction in unsprung mass.

-- regarding the lights, do you mean headlights, or tails? Are you looking to change the housings or just get a film applied on the exterior? For headlights there are a few options available... the OEM Golf R look the best IMO but are the most expensive and are more involved to install than aftermarket options. Cannot comment on output and cutoff pattern with the aftermarket options, however.
Here are a couple decent aftermarket headlight options I'm personally interested in:
https://pgperformance.com/euro-konze...lack-line.html
https://pgperformance.com/helix-r-st...-gti-golf.html

-- cargo light LEDs (and elsewhere)
http://deautokey.com/category/shop-b...-mk6-2009-2014

-- It was -45.5C last Monday morning. If the car wasn't plugged in we would have been stranded. Had full 90C coolant temp within 5km of low throttle driving and no idle time (I refuse to idle). The OEM block heater is invaluable. Another option is a Webasto type heater, but they're more expensive.

Good luck, post often and be sure to ask any questions as they arise!

- 1992 Audi 80q 20v: the 20vt winter sled (long term project)
- 1990 Audi Cq 20v: #becauseracecar
PRY4SNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2019, 18:56   #3
BTM307

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRY4SNO View Post
Welcome, Vic! Be sure to post some pics of the car and your road trip, I'm sure it'll be a blast. Depending on how heavy your right foot is you will probably only need to refill the tank twice (maybe three times). Pick up a bottle of Stanadyne or PowerService diesel additive while you're at it.

-- Low rolling resistance tires will help a bit, you can also spec the lightest weight available from the options you're interested in to help mileage. Narrow is better as it's less resistance. Stock size (205/55r16) is adequate for summer and winter duties.
Personally I worry more about grip from my rubber than weight and seek to reduce weight with the wheels first. Upgrading to some nice lightweight aftermarket forged wheels will help a lot more due to the greater reduction in unsprung mass.

-- regarding the lights, do you mean headlights, or tails? Are you looking to change the housings or just get a film applied on the exterior? For headlights there are a few options available... the OEM Golf R look the best IMO but are the most expensive and are more involved to install than aftermarket options. Cannot comment on output and cutoff pattern with the aftermarket options, however.
Here are a couple decent aftermarket headlight options I'm personally interested in:
https://pgperformance.com/euro-konze...lack-line.html
https://pgperformance.com/helix-r-st...-gti-golf.html

-- cargo light LEDs (and elsewhere)
http://deautokey.com/category/shop-b...-mk6-2009-2014

-- It was -45.5C last Monday morning. If the car wasn't plugged in we would have been stranded. Had full 90C coolant temp within 5km of low throttle driving and no idle time (I refuse to idle). The OEM block heater is invaluable. Another option is a Webasto type heater, but they're more expensive.

Good luck, post often and be sure to ask any questions as they arise!
Looking for blacked out tail lights marker lights and headlights without having to tint! And that are plug and play if they make them!

Old February 10th, 2019, 19:11   #4
Iko

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM307 View Post
Looking for blacked out tail lights marker lights and headlights without having to tint! And that are plug and play if they make them!

Welcome.

U mentioned u are interested in getting '14 GSW. There was no GSW until '15. VW made Jetta SW or JSW back in '14.

If you are getting GSW there are several Headlight upgrade options like Ed reps, Helix etc. On the tails you can get tinted LED from EU for as much as the tinted US halogens.

Cant help with JSW.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2019, 19:14   #5
BTM307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iko View Post
Welcome.

U mentioned u are interested in getting '14 GSW. There was no GSW until '15. VW made Jetta SW or JSW back in '14.

If you are getting GSW there are several Headlight upgrade options like Ed reps, Helix etc. On the tails you can get tinted LED from EU for as much as the tinted US halogens.

Cant help with JSW.

Definitely did not say GSW. Just a sport wagen. It's a 14. And I'll be driving it home in the morning

Old February 10th, 2019, 19:16   #6
Iko

Quote:
Definitely did not say GSW. Just a sport wagen. It's a 14. And I'll be driving it home in the morning

My bad.
Safe travels!

Iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2019, 11:06   #7
CDKJudoka

Nice! Where in PA did you find it? I was looking for a similar combo but settled for the DSG. So fare I am happy.

As for headlights, MK6 Golf headlights are an option since the 14 JSW is a mix of MK5 Jetta/Golf with a Mk6 Golf nose.
CDKJudoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2019, 18:44   #8
PRY4SNO
Veteran Member

Quote:

The headlights I linked are blacked out, no?

Safe travels!

Old February 12th, 2019, 05:27   #9
AllieJetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iko View Post
Welcome.

Although I assume you and OP are in the USA, what you know as a Jetta Sportwagen (JSW) was actually called a Golf Sport Wagen (GSW) in Canada after the 2010 Facelift. So VW DID make a GSW from 2010-2014
AllieJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2019, 18:24   #10
BTM307

Welcome to Minnesota

Old February 12th, 2019, 19:06   #11
PRY4SNO
Veteran Member

Snowplow!