2014 TDI Fuel Range/MPG Questions

Pr3cision

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Premium DSG
How's it going everyone? A couple weeks ago I purchased a Certified ("fixed") 2014 VW Jetta TDI DSG from a dealer chain I work for. I had a 2007 VW Jetta 2.5 that was totaled, so the 2014 is meant to replace the 2007. I have wanted a TDI for a few years now (I had a friend who owned a 2015) due to incredible gas mileage/range that some owners are getting (550-600+ miles per tank).

On my first full tank, I got about 400 miles out of it. Is this something I should be concerned about or should I give it a few more fill-ups before being worried? I have about a 5-6 miles commute to work, however I do a decent amount of driving in general which is probably 60% "city" and 40% highway. I do live in Ohio and it has been 45 degrees one day and -1 degree the next day -- sounds hard to believe but feel free to verify, lol. I'm not sure if that is a factor, or if it's because of "winter" diesel or what. If anyone is from Ohio, is there a diesel fuel provider/station that you prefer to use that offers the most consistent diesel fuel?

Any help would be appreciated as I'm new to VW diesel ownership.

Thank you!

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta S DSG, '02 Jetta ALH 5spd
Try calculating the city and highway mileage separately if you can. I get 46 highway but around 30 in town. It depends how you drive too. I definitely squeeze the torque out of mine, and I can drop the mileage lower if I really rally it.

I haven't driven one pre-fix, but I think a lot of it is in the tuning and how you have to drive it to stay in the power.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
I'm getting 45 straight piped on six speed manual , mixed driving but I dont pretend it's a race car.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

scrtdi

TDI
2002 jetta gls
My 2015 dsg averages around 500 a tank with 70% citycommute. I do notice when temperature jumps hot to cold that i get worse mileage.

tdiinsc

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI, 14' Jetta TDI
How's it going everyone? A couple weeks ago I purchased a Certified ("fixed") 2014 VW Jetta TDI DSG from a dealer chain I work for. I had a 2007 VW Jetta 2.5 that was totaled, so the 2014 is meant to replace the 2007. I have wanted a TDI for a few years now (I had a friend who owned a 2015) due to incredible gas mileage/range that some owners are getting (550-600+ miles per tank).
On my first full tank, I got about 400 miles out of it. Is this something I should be concerned about or should I give it a few more fill-ups before being worried? I have about a 5-6 miles commute to work, however I do a decent amount of driving in general which is probably 60% "city" and 40% highway. I do live in Ohio and it has been 45 degrees one day and -1 degree the next day -- sounds hard to believe but feel free to verify, lol. I'm not sure if that is a factor, or if it's because of "winter" diesel or what. If anyone is from Ohio, is there a diesel fuel provider/station that you prefer to use that offers the most consistent diesel fuel?
Any help would be appreciated as I'm new to VW diesel ownership.
Thank you!
With a 5-6 mile commute your car isnt really getting a chance to fully warm up. I have a 2014 6spd jetta tdi and mornings in the 20/30's im getting 35mpg if im lucky and my commute is 8 miles (3 highway/5 city). The quicker your car can warm up the more efficient it will be. With that being said i'm getting just shy of 600 miles on every tank (i'm tuned however).

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
On mine, the "Distance to Empty" guesstimate says 520 miles on a full tank, but that's after a 1500 mile road trip. When I first got it, the DTE guess was 440 miles. Point being that constant speeds will increase your fuel mileage considerably.

As others have pointed out, extreme temps (hot or cold) will negatively affect fuel economy. In my experience, TDIs are happiest right around 45-65*F where you don't need the A/C on and where they warm up in the first several minutes of running.

Currently I'm getting about 39 MPG overall but that takes into account the several days of below zero temps we had up here last week. For a DSG, I'm happy with that.

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
I have a 2015 TDI (EA288) with a DSG, I get about 680-710 miles per tank (48-50 MPG). I put about 50 miles a day on the highway getting to and from work, set the cruise to 70mph and don't touch it.

tdiinsc

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI, 14' Jetta TDI
I have a 2015 TDI (EA288) with a DSG, I get about 680-710 miles per tank (48-50 MPG). I put about 50 miles a day on the highway getting to and from work, set the cruise to 70mph and don't touch it.
I can believe this...on a trip to DC, we had the cruise set 70 most of the way and we got a hand calculated 51mpg even though the mfd said 57.

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
I can believe this...on a trip to DC, we had the cruise set 70 most of the way and we got a hand calculated 51mpg even though the mfd said 57.
My MFD says 51-55mpg but the hand calc is 48-50. I always go off the had calc because that is actual.

of my 50 mile daily trip ~46miles is highway, 4 mile surface street. might be less surface streets. Summer time is always lower because I'm running the AC @ max, I live in a desert and summer time is 110F-120F ambient.

Speed plays a big factor in this IIRC I was set to 75mph and getting 41-43. time wise was only nets about a 1-2 minute difference in highway time. 9 times out of 10 you get caught at the same stop light and wait 3+ minutes anyways. So I just set it to 70 and cruise :cool: takes the same amount of time by the time I get through all the lights and get to work.

Also check your tire pressures, under inflated will lower your mileage and its unsafe. dirty air filter & dirty fuel filter will also affect your mileage. Fuel filters are cheap, replace them religiously and often.