www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old January 30th, 2019, 00:09   #1
ejallison1
Veteran Member

Default Brake and Clutch Switches-Cruise Control

Cruise Control has not worked in quite awhile on my 97 Passat TDI.

Recently replaced my brake light switch due to inoperable brake lights which now function properly. (Is a two wire switch-usually black-have a part # of 191945515B)

In researching this ran across info that there is another switch above the brake switch-usually blue in color-that feeds info to the ECU for the cruise control. Gives info to the ECU (which controls the CC) on the brake pedal position. What is that switch called and does anyone have a part number?

There is also a switch on the clutch pedal. I believe it is part # 1H0927189D that IDParts.com refer to as a clutch pedal cruise control switch. https://www.idparts.com/clutch-pedal...ly-p-3465.html Can someone confirm this is the correct switch for the clutch pedal?

From the research I've done all three switches must be working properly for the cruise control to be operational. I am waiting for the weather to improve and then will hook car up to VCDS and check things out prior to ordering.

For anyone researching this later I came across this excellent thread for using VCDS for cruise control issues: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?

Last question is if the Passat has an interlock or safety mechanism that requires the clutch to be depressed prior to starting the car. Both my Passats will start without depressing the clutch when in neutral. Haven't tried to start the car without depressing the clutch when in gear?? My 98 Jetta does require depressing the clutch prior to starting-changeover year?.

Thanks
ejallison1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2019, 06:54   #2
jhax
Veteran Member

F47 - Brake vacuum vent valve switch for cruise control/Diesel Fuel

According to the ETKA the switch for the clutch and pedal are the same.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=3436022

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/cruise-control-valve-priced-each/811907343b/

The passats do not have a clutch safety switch.
jhax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2019, 17:29   #3
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Dismal

I’d start with the cruise stalk. I don’t think any of my TDI’s cc worked 100%, until I removed the stalks, took them apart and cleaned them. They all had decades of corrosion inside. Regreased everything and magically, cc worked perfectly.

This also works for the mirror adjustment switches.

-Todd
ToddA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2019, 13:35   #4
Camel413

Todd when you say yours didnt work 100% can you elaborate? On my car I can set the cruise, I an also use the cruise to accelerate. When I touch the brakes it turns the cruise off. So all that works normal, however the resume function does not work. It can be a pain to have to reset the cruise every time instead of just resume. Could this be fixed by taking my stalk apart and cleaning it?
Camel413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2019, 16:10   #5
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Dismal

100% = perfect... not 100% = not perfect.

I can pretty much guarantee you have a stalk issue. Start by cleaning it.

-Todd
ToddA1 is offline   Reply With Quote