www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old December 25th, 2018, 08:59   #46
Yeti35
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akjdouglass View Post
I'll call them very soon. I think I saw the number on the letter sent with the check I recently received.
Was about a month to get my Bosch check after the fix check on my Touareg fix.
Old January 15th, 2019, 20:34   #47
SC-TDI

I repurchased my same 2014 Jetta TDI from a dealership in Chicago in Aug. 2018 after selling it back to the dealer in SC where I purchased it new. It had 8 miles more than the Jan. 2017 turn-in mileage. With 49K easy commute miles, no scratches and looking brand new inside and out, I lamented the turn-in but couldn't refuse the buyback offer.

I Googled the VIN on a whim one Sunday and quickly located the VW dealership in Chicago where it had been posted for 4 days. I did some research on retrofit/mileage/performance impact, checked comparable used '14 prices and called the dealer Mon. They confirmed the condition with pictures by Wed., I gave a deposit and flew to Chicago Sat. morning. The dealership did the exhaust retrofit and my requested oil change beforehand. The salesman met me at the downtown L-station in my still-pristine Jetta. VW had the retrofit certification, extended warranty info. and offered special finance terms specific to used TDIs.

This is my second Jetta TDI and I liked it much better than the '04. I could feel a slight difference the first few days I drove it (as others have mentioned) but it still drives great like before and only 1-2mpg less than before. I'm happy to own my TDI again, and it's likely the last one I'll own, but I hope to keep it a long time. I'd enjoy hearing from others who repurchased their original TDI.
SC-TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2019, 06:28   #48
lvrpl

TDI(s): Passat TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-TDI View Post
I repurchased my same 2014 Jetta TDI from a dealership in Chicago in Aug. 2018 after selling it back to the dealer in SC where I purchased it new. It had 8 miles more than the Jan. 2017 turn-in mileage. With 49K easy commute miles, no scratches and looking brand new inside and out, I lamented the turn-in but couldn't refuse the buyback offer.
I Googled the VIN on a whim one Sunday and quickly located the VW dealership in Chicago where it had been posted for 4 days. I did some research on retrofit/mileage/performance impact, checked comparable used '14 prices and called the dealer Mon. They confirmed the condition with pictures by Wed., I gave a deposit and flew to Chicago Sat. morning. The dealership did the exhaust retrofit and my requested oil change beforehand. The salesman met me at the downtown L-station in my still-pristine Jetta. VW had the retrofit certification, extended warranty info. and offered special finance terms specific to used TDIs.
This is my second Jetta TDI and I liked it much better than the '04. I could feel a slight difference the first few days I drove it (as others have mentioned) but it still drives great like before and only 1-2mpg less than before. I'm happy to own my TDI again, and it's likely the last one I'll own, but I hope to keep it a long time. I'd enjoy hearing from others who repurchased their original TDI.
Do you mind sharing if you came out ahead this way vs if you had just done the fix? And possibly by how much roughly? I'd imagine you could come out way ahead selling it back it back and then re-buying it but am not totally sure.
lvrpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2019, 08:07   #49
Jetta Knight
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-TDI View Post
I repurchased my same 2014 Jetta TDI from a dealership in Chicago in Aug. 2018 after selling it back to the dealer in SC where I purchased it new.
Congrats!!! This is why I started the thread. I have not replaced my 2013 Passat that I returned in November. Your experience has prompted me to continue the search for my car. I have been considering a new TSI Passat but I can't pull the trigger. I'm concerned that every time I drive the TSI I will be expecting it to respond like the TDI and, ultimately, wind up hating it.
2013 Passat SE DSG TDI, Tungsten Silver
2016 Subaru Outback Limited
Jetta Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2019, 08:23   #50
2010TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvrpl View Post
I'd imagine you could come out way ahead selling it back it back and then re-buying it but am not totally sure.
If it was sold as a CPO it would also be better than having just taking the fix money.
2010TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2019, 06:05   #51
TDIforDays
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010TDI View Post
If it was sold as a CPO it would also be better than having just taking the fix money.
Not true. I did a buyback on a 14 jetta wagon and got about $29K for it. Dealer sold it for $13K after the fix. Fix money was lets say $7K. This way I would have pocketed $16K
TDIforDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2019, 10:47   #52
nucklehead
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38

I'd say get your TDI back if you can.

I turned in a near perfect 22k miles 2013 Jetta TDI Premium in late 2016, wish I had asked about getting it back. I bought a 2013 Golf TDI DSG equipped on Dec. 27th 2018 with 26k on the clock. Got a great price on it for being a return customer. I'm beginning to think I bought a load of troubles now.

Some times low mileage doesn't mean much! As of today I've been driving a loaner, a Jetta TSi/DSG, not bad but not my Golf. since Jan. 14th, so the dealer has had my low miles Golf as long as I have. The CEL light came on shortly after heading home from a trip to the dealer so I could put my winter tires on. One of the 100 or so items of the CPO checklist is to make sure that no locking lug bolts are left on the car. They forgot. Which leaves me wondering what else they might have forgotten. Anyway, the dealer took off the locking lug bolts and installed my winter tires, free of charge. Nice. About half way home the CEL came on. I go back to the dealer a few days later so they could read the codes, turned out to be bad news. The EGR was part of that CEL, the other being the DPF which seems to be clogged. So I get new EGR and DPF stuff, and probably a few sensors replaced. But the worst part is it has a bad/bent axle. WHF? And that is why my Golf is still at the dealer, not one replacement axle to be found in the USA! What? I'm hoping they'll get the repairs done soon, I'm tired of driving their billboard car.

At any rate, if your Jetta/Golf has a funny hopping feeling to it in quick (not racing) cornering under acceleration, or even straight line under hard, but not floored, acceleration, check the axles. I did notice on the 20 minute test drive that it seemed kind of weird to have a hopping sensation, but I didn't really notice it until a week or so later, and it seemed to be getting worse. Par for the course here, when the service tech test drove the car he didn't find anything wrong. So I took him along for another test drive, and he then understood what the car was doing. A quick check by a mechanic confirmed there was a problem, a bad axle. So they'll be installing new CV joints too.

Wish I had my old Jetta back, someone got a very nice car.

Current Daily - 2013 Golf TDI/DSG
nucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote