www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Classifieds/For Sale/Wanted > Vendor & GroupBuy items for sale

Vendor & GroupBuy items for sale VW TDI/Diesel related items for sale by vendors and Groupbuys. The only commercial posts to these forums are that of Vendors with TDI related equipment. To start a post, you must be a Registered Vendor. You may periodically post a note about products you may have for sale/services so long you indicate clearly you are from the company selling these products/services. The right to discontinue this practice & remove excessive posts remains with the operators of TDIClub. Please note there is also a webpage of TDI Vendors" Group-buys are permited if sponsored by a registered vendor.

Old January 17th, 2019, 08:37   #511
Franko6

I see the cylinder head picture is quite small... not sure what happened, but if you clic the mini-picture, you can see it full-size in my photo gallery.

BTW: As we are like to do, I welded up that nasty messed up cylinder head and it came out quite good. Not perfect, with a few small pin holes and a rough edge I'd call cosmetic, but a fully functional cylinder head.
As for that being a usable part, and what all has transpired, I think there is some consideration back to the mechanic, at least.
417-232-4634
FranksTDIs@sbcglobal.net

'02 80k grey leather, 99.5 R.I.P 153k
'85A2 NA 375k, '91 A3 290k Always Silver, Always a Jetta
Franko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2019, 09:34   #512
jasonTDI

Fuel Economy: 13.7 c, 12-15 towing hwy. 17-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko6 View Post
I see the cylinder head picture is quite small... not sure what happened, but if you clic the mini-picture, you can see it full-size in my photo gallery.

BTW: As we are like to do, I welded up that nasty messed up cylinder head and it came out quite good. Not perfect, with a few small pin holes and a rough edge I'd call cosmetic, but a fully functional cylinder head.
As for that being a usable part, and what all has transpired, I think there is some consideration back to the mechanic, at least.
I'll agree that, that is FOD. Piece of a blown turbo that was lodged in the intercooler perhaps? It would be small enough to make it through for sure.

Sucks either way but short of replacing the $300 part you run a risk.

Hope you're feeling better Frank. Injuries like that suck.
Old February 21st, 2019, 13:19   #513
hevster1

TDI(s): 98 NB
Fuel Economy: 40-42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko6 View Post
A bit of an interesting couple of days past, but here goes.
The pictures for Curious Chris' 12,000 mile head with FOD (foreign object damage). You have already seen most of these Chris. I know you are putting this on me, but the cylinder head tells the story.

This picture shows a dent in the center of the initial damage. The intake valve was sheared off in a single piece, which then shattered into several smaller pieces. The deep dent could not be caused by the valve material itself and it also had a cylindrical shape. The subsequent damage of pieces of valve seat striking the cylinder head and valve show much less denting as the FOD. There are many other impacts that you can judge are the FOD making it's dents before exiting. No object was noted or found upon disassembly.

The shape and size of the FOD are clearly visible, as shown in the following pics.

These two pictures show the depth of the impact and the distance of a single piece broken off of the valve's seat area.

This last picture shows the FOD damage on the intake valve near the 2:30 position. The impact crossed both the valve and the bottom of the cylinder head. I don't know what the foreign object is, but I believe it is not any VW part or piece.

So, Chris, to finish this story, I was told I 'made a bad cylinder head' and you wanted something of value in exchange for it; a turbo as I remember. In warranty disputes, I always have done the same thing. I send a pre-paid UPS shipping label and examine the part. I don't recall the exact date I sent the label, but it was months before the cylinder head was returned. I admit, same as with Bryan, I have been swamped, but when you prompted me, I got the cylinder heads, the original one, that had valve leakage, and this one, which was destroyed, and did my analysis.

I did find the original head had a valve that was spinning out of round. I vacuum test heads, so I don't know If I missed it or not. I will not debate that, but then Nick showed up over a year ago, about 2 weeks after my wreck and picked up this replacement head. I am guessing it was about the third week of October, 2017. Then, I believe it was about 7/2018, I got the report the cylinder head destroyed itself and you wanted compensation. I made the label and then started waiting for stuff to show up. The cylinder head showed up in November, 2018.

If I had not seen the cylinder head, which you seemingly thought was not needed to be sent, I would not have found the FOD damage. All claims for warranty must follow protocol. I have the right to inspect the damaged item before determining validity of the claim. In this case, I find abuse by foreign object.

But I am sure you still want to lay the blame on me.

In all of the cylinder heads I have made, and people know, it's thousands, I have few failures. Admittedly, there have been some. Overall, people also know we back our product, but do not cover abuse.

Sorry, Chris. I would have liked to work with you, but I will not accept your claim. I am not, nor have I ever blamed (Nick, Greengeeker) for the cause of this damage. I have no way of knowing how the damage occurred,
It is not reasonable, as you claim, that a foreign body stuck in the head from the time I built it, only to fall out after at least 6 months and 12,000 miles.
Don't feel bad Frank. I have crap like this happen sometimes too. It's always the fault of the technician, no matter what and no matter what the mileage or time.
NJ's best shop performing Quality Repairs on TDI's, Toyota, Lexus, Scion and other European and Asian cars as well as Motorcycles & ATV's. Written warranty, reasonable prices. ASE L-1 & A-9 Master re-certified. NEW LOCATION: Montague NJ. Hunter Wheel Alignment. Snap-on Tire Service.I don't need to have specials, my prices are better already!
www.mmautocycle.com
hevster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2019, 18:04   #514
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

That's FOD damage for sure. Looks like a screw or something, probably fell in the engine when being installed. Sadly, sh#t like this happens,
2003 JSW 1.8T, silver-parting out. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2019, 18:38   #515
WildChild80
Veteran Member

Did the valve loose it's angle or is that valve seat mated to the valve? If it lost it's angle/mating surface, could it have melted, and then pieces broke off and made it back to the seat surface?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
WildChild80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2019, 23:39   #516
Franko6

WildChild,

The obvious sign that there was FOD is the circular impression that crossed over from the valve seat to the cylinder head, causing a fracture on the valve seat. The seat was basically chopped off, in a shearing force, which by the way, I can only imagine happened at high speed.

Thank you, those who can see the same thing that I do. Although the other complaint, who decided to install a junkyard engine, has not responded, he and I came to a quick agreement. I guess the settlement suited him, as he has now, no complaint and also, no comment.

I will continue as I have before. Trust and verify.
417-232-4634
FranksTDIs@sbcglobal.net

'02 80k grey leather, 99.5 R.I.P 153k
'85A2 NA 375k, '91 A3 290k Always Silver, Always a Jetta
Franko6 is offline   Reply With Quote