Looking to purchase a high mileage recently fixed 2010 - need info

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
Hey guys,

I've been loosely following the threads on Dieselgate but have mostly stuck to pre scandal cars so never paid too much attention until now...I`m about to pick up a 2010 Golf 6spd with 360k km that was "fixed" in May of this year...my question is what are the warranty implications for this? Does the car have emissions warranty for another 100k km? do I need to worry myself with the warranty at all? Is there anything I need to consider buying this vehicle?

any help is greatly appreciated...I`m checking the car out tomorrow and hoping to pick it up tomorrow evening

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
Ask the seller for the fix paperwork - that will tell you how much warranty remains, if any. Warranty from emissions fix stays with the car, so yes you will inherit it for the remaining km until km or time expiration.
I would find a CP3 kit to replace the HPFP once warranty expires.
Everything touching the fuel system, exhaust system, and associated sensors, and/or computer is covered.

Just realized I’m sharing info as it applies in the US, but you’re in Canada.
I would search google for VW emissions fix warranty and get the skinny on what’s covered for how long.

My tandem pump in the CJAA started a small leak not long ago - discovered it doing my 190k miles service. Covered by warranty and getting dropped off tomorrow at dealership.
Keep an eye on yours.

I got mine fixed at 162k, currently at 191k, averaging 33-34mpg since fix (compared with 38-41mpg pre-fix. Others have had better mileage, some have had worse performance.
Mine kept its pep but lost its mpg. Ymmv.

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
thanks for the info...

so the fix doesn't start a fixed term warranty from scratch or is it case by case? he'd have done the fix at approximately 350k km (so about 16-20k km ago)...he just did timing belt 2k ago...

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Depends on Canada's version of the settlement. In the US it is based off first in use date and 162k miles. You would be well outside of that. There was another portion based on the since fixed date as well but was only 40k miles or so. So if Canada is anything like the US you would be outside warranty limits or close to it more than likely.

Looks like this may be what applies in Canada:
https://owners.vwmodels.ca/pdf/VW_2L Gen 1_v2_CAN EN_FINAL.pdf

Fixed term starts at when the car was first purchased as new. Shorter one applies after the fix, whichever is longer I believe.

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
The greater of:
 10 years and 6 months or 203,000 km,
whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s
original in-service date; OR
 4 years and 6 months or 87,000 km, whichever
occurs first, from the date and mileage of the
completion of the emissions modification.

so who decides on the OR condition? the car is clearly over 203000km but it shouldn't have 87000km since the fix so does the second condition apply?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
There is no "decision" between the two warranty scenarios. You plug in the numbers for what the current situation is (distance and time since new, distance and time since fix) and if it fits into either one (or both) of the two scenarios, it's covered.

This particular vehicle is already past the distance covered from the vehicle's original in-service date, so the only scenario that will apply is the time and distance since the time and mileage of when the fix was applied.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
"The greater of" is key here. Which ever works out better/longer for you is the one that applies. The first part is over for your car, so it is the second that applies for you. How many km's since the fix? You have about 4 years left of time but I would imagine the km's is going to be the killer for you here. At the rate the previous owner was racking up miles I would imagine you are quite close if not already over on mileage for the second fix part too. Probably why they are selling.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yeah, sounds like it has about 70k kilometers of warranty left, assuming that comes before the time limit. You could probably call VW and find out exactly when and at what mileage the fix was applied.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I read post #3 :) . It would be good to know the exact mileage (and date)when it was performed.

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
thanks for the info guys - it's the first owner that was racking the miles, the second owner barely drove it after the fix which was done in May of 2018. I have the original receipt for the work so I`ll get the exact mileage numbers from it...

I scanned the car and it's throwing a cylinder 4 pressure sensor error - I looked it up and comes up as glow plug right? I gotta get a new bumper on the car and put it back on the road so start sorting the little issues out...and just as luck would have it there was a nice 6spd Tiguan with a blown up gasser near me - should have picked it up it would have made for a great little swap :)