www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old July 15th, 2013, 20:10   #391
tDignam

TDI(s): '04 Jetta
Default Is it the MAF?

2004, BEW (PD), VNT-17, RC1+ Tune

I first notice a buzzing sound, followed by the boost coming late. I've only experienced full limp mode one time.

I took some logs of blocks 011 and 003, both before and after disconnecting the MAF.

Before:

After:

EDIT: Fault Codes

Any ideas? Questions?

Last edited by tDignam; July 16th, 2013 at 09:46.
tDignam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 20:49   #392
nadroba
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40 mpg

I think the electronic actuator is bad or maybe you have a stuck vnt.
Old July 26th, 2013, 18:11   #393
TDI_lover12345

TDI(s): '03
Fuel Economy: 900km winter, 1100km summer
Default Limp mode, please help?!

I have an '03 Jetta TDI manual transm. w/ 440k km. that started off with not responding to throtle in March, to whick my mechanic said was due to something inside the engine and the fuel pump ( suggested cost of repair - $1,500 to $3,000 ) but said that I could still drive it for a while.

Now, my car has gone into the so called "LIMP MODE" with the loss of the turbo kick ( especially on hot and humid days ) accompanied by black smoke from the exhaust. The car drives ok ( meaning, no turbo kick but drivable on flat roads, loosing power while going uphill ) if I keep the turbo from kicking in at 1800 rpms and cooler days.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I'm dealing with in both cases and apprx. costs that I should be expecting for repairs in Toronto, Cnd.?

Thanks in advance!!
TDI_lover12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 18:31   #394
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

Get a 2nd opinion...

Yuri

Pereat mundus, fiat musica!
ymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 17:41   #395
cr4zy3lgato
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Jetta 2000
Fuel Economy: 40 MPG

I"ve been having problems lately with my car. I have a P1556 code (negative deviation).
I heard a pop when i was on a highway and now the car makes a successive sound like a snake or pressure cooker (like a pss****) as soon as i get over 2-3psi

My mechanic tested for leaks with a smoke machine and found nothing. I have tested the actuator (6 months old vnt-17) it moves well and holds vacuum for a while. I have tested the N75 valve with vacuum gauge hooked to N75 output, i cycled the valve with vcds and at 99% i had no vacuum and at 0% there was near 20mm Hg... i was expecting the same thing, except i thought it would be the opposite...

MAF and vacuum lines has been replaced last year & turbo this winter.

Thanks

EDIT: did'nt get any CEL (only knew there was a code when i scanned it) and after i cleared it and drove the car (still same problem) there's no code???
the interior of my vacuum hoses are also slightly dirty

Last edited by cr4zy3lgato; July 27th, 2013 at 18:26.
cr4zy3lgato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2013, 17:08   #396
cr4zy3lgato
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Jetta 2000
Fuel Economy: 40 MPG

The boost pressure gradually fell to 0psi. It turns out that a bolt came loose on the egr cooler, and the pipe form the turbo to the cooler snaped in the accordeon.

Replaced the part and now it's running fine

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
Old August 22nd, 2013, 14:15   #397
Bill McCracken

TDI(s): 2002 Golf
Default 2002 Golf TDI

I have owned this car since new and have had maintenance done by a mechanic who specializes in VW's since the warrantee expired many years ago. Timing belt has been replaced twice along with the tensioners and waterpump. Car presently has 317,000 kilometers on the odometer. The mechanic has been good however his business has grown to the point that I wonder if he isn't starting to behave like a dealer. (There is now a front end employee writing sertvice orders so I no longer get to talk directly to either of the 3 mechanics.) I have had power problems (going into limp mode I think) over the past year and have had a new oxygen sensor installed, then vacum lines replaced. Last visit I was told he rerplaced the Oxygen sensor (under part warrantee) and cleaned the wastegate because it was sticking. I was told that if the limp mode (and or check engine light) returned the turbo/wastegate assembly would have to be replaced at a cost of nearly $2,000 since turbo and wastegate are sold as one assembly. Unfortunately limp mode has returned although shutting off the ignition and restarting clears the problem temporarily. Sometimes the check engine light comes on - sometimes not. Sometimes the light goes out with the ignition reset and sometimes the light remains on until the engine has cooled down or isn't driven for 24 hours or so.
All this makes me wonder if my mechanic is being straight with me.
Does my car actually have a wastegate? Can it be replaced separately?
Any advise?
Bill McCracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 14:25   #398
Bill McCracken

TDI(s): 2002 Golf

Is there more than one type of limp mode. When the car was quite new I once experienced an extreme loss of power (couldn't drive over 50km/hr and VERY little acceleration) Limp mode I'm now experiencing is much lass drastic. It usually occurs on a hill and a definite noticible loss of power occurs like a switch was flipped. It's still possible to maintain highway speeds but with less power so the car slows down on hills etc
Bill McCracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 14:35   #399
Corsair
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/48/??

I'd recommend (perhaps in future) start your post in its own new thread, to avoid getting lost in the pile of dialogue.

Is the car a TDI (diesel) or perhaps a 1.8T (turbo gas?). Reason I ask is because that vintage TDI does not have an O2 (oxygen) sensor. Perhaps the sensor was mistakenly named? Or if you do have a 1.8T, maybe a different forum would be more helpful, as this one is dedicated to diesels.

If you have long history with that shop and trust them, maybe time to assert yourself and request a conversation with the mechanic you know, maybe you can get some traction by emphasizing the length of time you've been trying to get the problem solved.

To your direct question- sorry I don't know for sure whether there is more than one limp mode. For ALH TDIs (those include year 2002), I've only ever read of one limp mode. But I'm not an experienced professional mechanic- just a back yard wrench.

Wish you all the best.
2004 Jetta GL wagon 2.0L (gas) 5-spd (sold)
[also had 03 TDI GLS 5spd wagon bought new, sorely missed]
Corsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2013, 16:43   #400
turboii

TDI(s): 2003 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 40 mpg

i too having 1556 code - intermittent. Low power when wot and i no longer hear turbo whistle. I checked the vacuum out of the N75 valve with the Vagcom toggling the solenoid, and it checks out ok at about -20 inHg. I can feel the actuator at the turbo moving slightly, but doesnt seem to be opening all the way.. but i do not really know how far it is supposed to move. I also logged manifold pressure and it stays a 1000mbar at wot. I assume its not a boost leak because of the lack of turbo whistle. Does that sound like stuck VNT vanes or bad turbo? 178k miles

Last edited by turboii; August 24th, 2013 at 16:46.
turboii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 12:43   #401
dbo550

Fuel Economy: Better than my allroad
Default Anybody seen this problem. No boost until 2800rpm then fine until next startup.

Ive had this car for 2 years now and its done this since day 1. 2002 jetta gls tdi 178k. once I hit that 2800 rpm car boosts fine until I turn it off and start it again. My problem doesn't seem to be the same as everybody elses in this thread.
dbo550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 12:47   #402
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

Sticking vanes inside the turbo? Once they "let go" they appear to work until you stop...

Yuri

Pereat mundus, fiat musica!
ymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 10:05   #403
Inline4

My car, 2001 VW Beetle TDI 5-Speed manual. Without warning felt like someone stole my turbo, not hearing that familiar "whine" when accelerating and lack of my normal power. Seemed like I was driving my 1982 Mercedes 240D. My hand held diagnostic tool did not identify the fault code (P1556), service manual gave the code description. I searched the web and it lead me here. Very helpful link. To make a long story short, it cost me $4 to fix. Replaced the vacuum tubing from the N75 solenoid to the turbo actuator. That's mor like it!! Thanks Canadian Grizzley!
Inline4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2013, 12:26   #404
slickfast
Veteran Member

I have a question about the vacuum that is created by the vacuum pump. I hooked up a mity vac to the line coming off the check valve of the brake booster (this was as close to the vacuum pump as I can get), and the vacuum eventually builds to >25 inHg but it takes at least 2 or 3 minutes to do so. Is something wrong with my vacuum pump? Just replaced the turbo actuator and it doesn't cycle on startup like it should. I believe I've adjusted the turbo actuator rod correctly.
slickfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2013, 18:51   #405
slickfast
Veteran Member

Turned out to be a piece of gunk in the check valve of the brake booster line that was preventing any vacuum pressure to the turbo actuator. Power restored!
slickfast is offline   Reply With Quote