changing headlight bulb

stevebrunton

TDI
golf 1.9 tdi (2003)
Hi all,
new to the forum, just wondering if anybody has any advice on changing a front headlight bulb on my 2003 vw golf 1.9 tdi , the bulb in question is on the same side as the battery,
any help please?
thanks

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Take off the battery cover, unclip the rear cover that fits over the rear of the headlight and open it like you would a door. This should free it from the hidden locking tabs. Now you should have access to the clip that secures the head light bulb in its socket, but remove the wiring harness first. It's a tight squeeze, but doable if you take your time. when you go to put the rear cover back on you may want to push down on the plastic underliner that protects the headlight and try to get the locking tabs back in place at a slight angle.

blackty

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta tdi (sold)--2005 Jetta 2.5 Tiptronic---1993 GMC Typhoon---2003 2500HD Silverado---2012 WRX Wagon
Probably faster to pull bumper, no kidding...Jim

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Or just pull the battery out of the way.

Like Jim said, pulling the bumper (so you would be able to remove the headlight assembly out of the car) or pulling the battery seems like a lot of extra work, but on the driver's side, there is so little room at the back of the headlight assembly, normal human hands have a very difficult time getting in there and manipulating the bulb since about all you can do is squeeze part of a couple fingers there.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Assuming the golf and jetta are the same... just find someone with small or thin hands and it isn't THAT bad. I'd say less than 10 cuss words and you will have it.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Replacing the high beam is a little more involved with all the wires in the way.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
What a design! I had my bumper off for fitting the engine so went that route for fitting the bulbs, much easier.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
If just changing the main bulb, it can be done with the headlight & battery in place. I've got fairly large hands and can do it without getting clawed to hell and back. If it's your first time, removing the battery will give you miles of space.

diesel4ever

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000, black
I have done it quite few times. Now I just remove the battery. It takes only two extra minutes and it saves lot of frustration and your knuckles.

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
If just changing the main bulb, it can be done with the headlight & battery in place. I've got fairly large hands and can do it without getting clawed to hell and back. If it's your first time, removing the battery will give you miles of space.
x2

Just change both sides at once and get some practice in the passenger's side first :D

JayT

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2003, Silver Beetle, 2013, Moonrock
x2

Just change both sides at once and get some practice in the passenger's side first :D

Yes! If you have one out, you should also change the other. Start with the passenger side then tackle the driver side. I have big hands, you can do it pretty easy if you just remove the battery cover.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
hey,thank God you dont have to do one on a beetle. That is "FUN" :mad:
Agreed! If by '"FUN" :mad:' you mean 'ridiculously easy'. :rolleyes:

It takes what, about 47 seconds and zero tools to pull the entire headlight assembly out of the car...? Another minute and a half and you can have the bulb changed and headlight ready to go back in the car.

Being generous, it shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes to change both headlights the first time.

tdiluke1977

TDI
golf gls
Hey Scurvy, I guess i get all the broken ones cuz i can do one on jetta or golf in about 37 secs yet the beetles usually take 20 mins and a lot of cussing