BD & The Dealer: Don't Ask - Don't Tell?

debitspread

TDI
None
I've found a great biodiesel supplier here in Houston, and he sells B100.

Now it's time to get a TDI.

One option is to get a new one and simply refrain from bringing up the whole BD issue.

But there's this big deal-killer cloud on the horizon: If and when I need warranty work in the future, I'll expect it to be done at VW's expense. If there's even the POSSIBILITY of a challenge because I used BD in the car, count me out. Not interested.

So I'm thinking that I would go to a dealership and ask the salesman to show me the most recent Jetta diesel that he locate... as long as it's out of warranty.

That way, I could be totally up-front: My intention is to run the car on commercially-available biodiesel. If the fuel clogs a filter or eats through a rubber part, then it's my problem and I'll pay to get it fixed.

What do you think? Does that seem like a reasonable gameplan?

Your comments are welcome.

Steve

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
First, my .02 is that if you're using biodiesel that's NOT made from waste oil, meets federal specifications, and is not stored too long (more than 4 months) then you'll not have any bio related problems.

And I applaud your idea to be your own warranty on this.

Nellie

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS, '05
confused

Ok, I'm not sure I follow your logic.

If you're willing to pay for a repair on an out of warranty car that was caused by bad bio fuel, why wouldn't you be willing to pay for it on a new car?

If on the other hand, you need a warranty repair that's unrelated to the fuel you're using, just the mention of BD, could cause you some grief. If the diagnosis isn't fuel related, I don't see any need to mention the BD word. But if the diagnosis comes back "we think the fuel you were using caused this", then I think you should be on the hook, or at least your fuel supplier should be.

I've modified my car and if the modification causes a problem, I don't see why I shouldn't pay for it. It is sad that some dealers will look for any excuse not to honor a warranty claim when bio has been used even if it is unrelated to the problem.

ikendu

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Indigo Blue
I think that if you buy a new car, pay a new car price and the warranty coverage that comes with that higher price means a lot to you... then buying a used TDI for running 100% biodiesel makes a lot of sense. You can simply stop thinking about the warranty issue.

Heck, if you buy used, get a 2003. You get the highest mileage TDI that was been made so far AND the most refined version of the body, etc. with most of the kinks worked out of the design.

I bought a brand new 2003 Golf TDI and have been running 100% biodiesel ever since the first tank of dealer provided diesel has been gone. I've not been sorry and never had to confront the warranty issue because I've had absolutely no problems (78,000 miles so far).

See my web site at www.itsgood4.us and draw your own conclusions.

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
I'd second what ikendu wrote, I bought a used TDI because I wanted to run Bio and soup it up. I feel its unfair to VW to buy a brand new one, then subject it to a life outside its design parameters, then expect VW to pick up the tab when something goes wrong.

scott_the_sock

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Silver Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
You've got a good idea.

<< Now it's time to get a TDI. >>

When was it not time to get a TDI? ;)

<< If there's even the POSSIBILITY of a challenge >>

Chances are there will be. Each dealer is different, but many seem to throw up their hands if they find out you run more than B5 and have some sort of catastrophic failure.

<< I would go to a dealership ... as long as it's out of warranty. >>

The dealers usually prefer to deal with certified used vehicles which they extend the warranty on. If you find one though that's either right there on the bubble about to be out of the original warranty or only covered under the certfied warranty, you can maybe talk them into taking some money off for not certifying it.

<< My intention is to run the car on commercially-available biodiesel. If the fuel clogs a filter or eats through a rubber part, then it's my problem and I'll pay to get it fixed. >>

See what the bio supplier's policy is and how they warranty their fuel. Keep your receipts from the fuel purchases too. If there is a catastrophic failure due to fuel, you may not be responsible depending on what their policies are.

You'll probably clog a few filters at first though as the bio dissolves some deposits. Get a few extra and know how to change them.

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
scott_the_sock said:
... You'll probably clog a few filters at first though as the bio dissolves some deposits.
Don't count on it. Believe me.
scott_the_sock said:
... Get a few extra and know how to change them.
Not a bad idea no matter what kind of fuel you are burning.

Sorry Scott, the fuel filter clogging thing is not all it is cracked up to be.

scott_the_sock

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Silver Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
RC said:
Sorry Scott, the fuel filter clogging thing is not all it is cracked up to be.
Ah. Good to know. Thanks for the correction.

I haven't had to change one yet. I was chalking it up to running B20 instead of B100.