Would like input on 2002 Jetta-Las Vegas

Strykeviper

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5 speed swap, 2002 Jetta Wagon, 2015 Passat SEL, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen
With the timing belt slipping, you are going to need to replace the belt and everything that touches it.

Very good chance it will need some head work due to the slippage.

With the auto trans and the 200k miles I would not buy it since you can't drive it to test it unless you are planning for a 5 speed swap or $5k for a new 01m.

Maybe if you could get it for $500 it might be worth it. Looks like a money pit to me...

kiva822

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
judging by that ad, I get the feeling the guy knows nothing about TDI's and, therefore, probably didn't maintain it well....which would make me nervous...

creamycaesar1

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI 5 speed, reflex silver
I made an error on the title it is a golf not a jetta, doesn't change the fact that it is a major risk. I'd prefer a manual anyway. He was probably shopping around for a mechanic who would tell him what he wanted to hear about not needing to replace valves. Sometimes you just need to hear it isn't avoid idea from someone else. Thanks guys.

kiva822

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
I'm not saying I wouldn't consider it for $1k, at most, but would prefer to pay $500 or $750...if the rest of the car was clean, which it probably isn't...

I emailed the guy to ask a few questions, just for kicks...