change 01M fluid without vag-com?

texcl

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 beetle TDI(5 speed swap 44mpg so far),1980 VW Dasher Wagon, 2010 Yanmar 45hp diesel tractor
Can I change the oil without the VAG-COM, my laptop died and really dont have the money to buy another can I change the oil with out it?

usarmyharley

TDI
2003 jetta
glad you posted this question...sorry i cant help you but im thinking about doing this also because the closest tdi trusted mechanic is 250 miles from me. Id magine it can be done jus not recommended

Geomorph

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf and 2002 NB
If you measure what comes out and put the same amount back in you should be very close. I have done this and did not need to add any fluid after checking the level with the proper method. If you are changing the filter also, then it is harder to gauge exactly how much to put in as the filter will be holding some fluid as well. Other options to VCDS are to use an infrared thermometer or Scangauge can also read transmission fluid temperature.

To the OP, if you can get a desktop computer close enough to the car, then you could use that as you already have the VCDS cable.

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
To the OP, if you can get a desktop computer close enough to the car, then you could use that as you already have the VCDS cable.
just buy a usb extension, I have a 30' usb extension cable

I think i bought it at compusa/tigerdirect.com

texcl

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 beetle TDI(5 speed swap 44mpg so far),1980 VW Dasher Wagon, 2010 Yanmar 45hp diesel tractor
I'm actually considering getting a cheap refurbed IBM think pad 600? from ebay for $100 to run it. That should be adequit to run the software right?

MrSafety

Newbie at Heart
California... Novato... 25 Mi. N. of S.F.
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI/ALH/01M-'80 240D Mercedes/'81 Rabbit "Caddy"/'99 Lexus ES300
Can I change the oil without the VAG-COM, my laptop died and really dont have the money to buy another can I change the oil with out it?
Attach a string really well to a cooking thermometer and lower it down the fill tube once you have the enging warmed up some !
I believe there is ~a5 deg. range that's OK!?
And personally I would do the "top-off" procedure as the last check... adding just enough to get the fluid to spill over into/down the overflow tube!
Sam

Last edited:

sjdiesel

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI auto
Attach a string really well to a cooking thermometer and lower it down the fill tube once you have the enging warmed up some !
I believe there is ~a5 deg. range that's OK!?
And personally I would do the "top-off" procedure as the last check... adding just enough to get the fluid to spill over into/down the overflow tube!
Sam

Bringing this back up. I am in this same situation except I don't own a VAGCOM.

Sam, what is the "top offf" method?

I followed the precedure on kansiscitytdi.com. Once fluid started to "glug" out i plugged it. But I put my hand on the pan to measure temp. I know not the most accurate but I bet I was close to the magic 86-95* called for. Going to borrow an IR thermometer from a friend just to double check.

Thoughts?

indysoto

Veteran Member
I did this today on a 2003 Jetta and learned a couple things.
Vw atf restores headlight shine! And it really did..
Turns out this tranny was low on fluid, I drained 2 liters almost exactly. Followed Drivebywire's .pdf and it seems a couple things have changed or I just suck with a vagcom.

I could not get the temp function to work in drivetrain/auto trans/trans temp or whatever the first tab is/auto trans/trans temp when I clicked the box it said "you suck at using a vagcom" ha.. No really it said Blah bla not compatible with this ECU.
Figured It was maybe because I had not cleared the codes? I also went to a function that had the three vertical columns with 7 or 8 values and the 5th value was 0, #1 was 80 I was hoping that was temp but since I could not be sure I just went with feel instead of computer.

Anyway I put on a new filter then put about 2.9L in there total after the red plug drain overflow and then warm up / replug bottom and fill from weep hole and called it good for now.

Opened up the old filter(looked clean on outside just dingy brown and in the middle of the filter(its like a quesadilla clamped by metal sides) was to my horror chunks. But they just ended up being crumbly chunks of a coal/burnt oil? whatever it was to my pleasure it turned to gritty / dust upon grinding between thumb and forefinger. No sign of any metal or plastic chunks where it should have been, on both exposed sides of the filter just the middle?! Activated carbon filter??

Seemed to drive fine afterwords and that German atf is slicker than bat snot.