MOUNTED my new massive tires today! :)

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
OP-Man, looks great. You should make friends with a Subie outback guy, and do a spy vs. spy competition to see how far TDI FWD does against AWD boxer car. If he wins, you could always push him off a cliff...(just joking about that last part of course :p):eek:

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta wagon, 1949 willys cj3 ALH TDI swap
haha thanks Vince. Yeah I do think it looks like a subie, I was parked next to a black forester the other day.... it look oddly similar. :)

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
As much as I would like to meet up and hang out.... I need to be realistic haha. My weekend plans are a mess. I coach and we are wrapping up our season and have 4 events this week and practice in preparation for districs, and the wife has me putting in a garden....yada yada yada.... A beer and car talk sounds way more relaxing. :( thanks for the offer though.

I'm staying at the Hershey lodge,. But we can meet somewhere in the middle.

Gluckmysock

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 1.9
As much as I would like to meet up and hang out.... I need to be realistic haha. My weekend plans are a mess. I coach and we are wrapping up our season and have 4 events this week and practice in preparation for districs, and the wife has me putting in a garden....yada yada yada.... A beer and car talk sounds way more relaxing. :( thanks for the offer though.

No Problem.. Some other time! Good luck with the weekend!

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
i didn't see if you addressed this anywhere, but is there a speedo correction thingy in vagcom for the bigger tires?
Yeah Im not sure either... My speedo is only off by a few mph but Im sure it will throw things off of the course of a tank.

verboten1

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta '02 5 door "20th"
A couple full tanks, I was really upset about the horrible fuel economy. Until I realized that even the the speedometer is closer to accurate, the odometer is now horribly off.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Yeah when I had the big 225 70 16s on my mk4 golf, I had to adjust the miles per tank by 1.07 multiplier to see what the actual mileage was.

This was just doing the math between circumference of the 195 60 15, and the 225 70 16 in revs per mile.

Might wanna get that number memorized. Will Def be reducing both your odometer miles and your trip meter miles. Best to use the tripometer for every tank if you use fuelly or something to track it.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah I have been using fuelly since Ive had the car... I will have to figure out the number I need to use for odometer correction. Here is my latest chart from fuelly. It shows I went from 48ish to 40ish. This is using inaccurate number. 512 miles at 12.6 gallons. Thanks! This is also after nozzles and a tune, so I have been driving more aggressively for this tank. My IQ was also way off so It should be better this tank.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
yeah you are going to have to start using the tripmeter for your fuelups. then do more math so you know how many actual miles you traveled per tank. the gallons used should still be the same (or less..)

Enjoy. the Wagon looks good.!

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
the gallons used should still be the same (or less..)
You think you can increase the rotating mass on a car, increase the front cross section, and increase the fuel efficiency all at the same time?

The car will still get better MPGs than most any other car on the road, but to think there may be an increase is pretty optimistic.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
I personally never thought/said it would get better MGP. I am just looking to figure out actual economy what ever it may be. I come from the jeep/truck realm so I am well accustom to putting bigger tires on things and seeing the fuel needle drop. I dont expect this car to be any different. :)

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
You mentioned increasing rotating mass and frontal area. You didn't mention decreasing engine speed.

He might see an increase, might not.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Gotcha.... Yeah we shall see.... It looks like just from a guestimated tire size correction that i am now getting 44mpg average.... I was getting 47mpg. SO that seems about right. For this next tank I will try to get the exact number. I also was blowing a lot of smoke on the last tank trying to break in my nozzles and tune. :) My IQ was also way off so this tank may show better numbers. I will try to give you accurate results soon. My guess is that on the hwy at 55 mpgs will be slightly better....but if pushing over 65 or on mt. roads mpgs will suffer. But that is just a guess.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Gotcha.... Yeah we shall see.... It looks like just from a guestimated tire size correction that i am now getting 44mpg average.... I was getting 47mpg. SO that seems about right. For this next tank I will try to get the exact number. I also was blowing a lot of smoke on the last tank trying to break in my nozzles and tune. :) My IQ was also way off so this tank may show better numbers. I will try to give you accurate results soon. My guess is that on the hwy at 55 mpgs will be slightly better....but if pushing over 65 or on mt. roads mpgs will suffer. But that is just a guess.
Maybe the 'break in my nozzles and tune' had something to do with the lower mileage? :)
The only was I would get a tune is if it gave me 10 more MPG. (US)

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
You mentioned increasing rotating mass and frontal area. You didn't mention decreasing engine speed.
I alluded to it in this post,

Larger front profile will hurt MPG's, it might be a wash, but I'd bet that MPGs drop.
And I also posted this,

The car will still get better MPGs than most any other car on the road...

Lower RPM can increase MPGs, but it can also lower MPGs, my hunch is that he'll lose a couple MPG, but when you get ~45 MPG losing 2 doesn't mean much. To think there will be an increase is optimistic though, but everyone here is free to disagree with me :)

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, I will be happy to break even or close to it... If I lose a few I wont lose any sleep over it.. Until I got my tdi my DD was an old toyota pickup with 33's getting about 15-18 on a good day. So anything north of that is a massive improvement. :)

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Some of my best tanks ever were on 8.4% oversized 205/75R15's but those tanks also involved 90% highway driving with the cruise control set at 55 mph. The tires were also over inflated to lower rolling resistance. I have no doubt at higher speeds or in city driving that economy could suffer but for cruisin at 55 on flat ground I have never been able to beat the numbers I got with those tires. I should also mention I was driving a very flat stretch of highway along the southern shore of Lake Ontario between Hamilton and Niagara falls. Pretty much ideal conditions. If I recall correctly, it was fall and the air was crisp also.

Last edited:

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
I alluded to it in this post,

And I also posted this,

Lower RPM can increase MPGs, but it can also lower MPGs, my hunch is that he'll lose a couple MPG, but when you get ~45 MPG losing 2 doesn't mean much. To think there will be an increase is optimistic though, but everyone here is free to disagree with me :)

The things you refer to will definitely hurt. Basic physics.

The question is how much? Depends on driving conditions. More mass won't hurt constant speed driving but will affect acceleration. More area won't have much effect at low speed. Rolling resistance could be higher or lower. Depends more on the tire design and inflation than the size.

The decreased engine speed may help. Some guys put in taller gearing and report increases. Again prolly depends on driving conditions. (And style)

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
The things you refer to will definitely hurt. Basic physics.

The question is how much? Depends on driving conditions. More mass won't hurt constant speed driving but will affect acceleration. More area won't have much effect at low speed. Rolling resistance could be higher or lower. Depends more on the tire design and inflation than the size.

The decreased engine speed may help. Some guys put in taller gearing and report increases. Again prolly depends on driving conditions. (And style)
Yea, the tires won't make much difference, maybe none, my hunch is a slight decrease, but with my TDI I do little to maximize MPGs as they are already so good. Driving my sprinter, our our sienna, I do try to drive conservatively to maximize MPG, but the Jetta is so thrifty that driving quick its still super thrifty, so possibly losing a bit to big tires really doesn't matter. If I cared about MPGs in my Jetta I would drive it slower, but I don't :D