Symptoms of gasoline running in a modern TDI?

sands80

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT SEL
Went to the fuel station this evening and put about 11.5 gallons of diesel into the tank. A little bit of the fuel dripped out so I wiped it off, however, it smelled like gasoline. I checked the pump and I definitely used the diesel pump- but it still smelled like regular gasoline. I asked the attendant, who said they just filled the pump tanks today. It was dark so I could not tell the color of the fuel.
I left thinking I was paranoid, the car went into a regen on the way home. I drove about 21 miles- didn't seem to drive or idle any differently. Is that enough of a distance to get symptoms of contaminated fuel? With all the computer controlled functions would the engine sputter and stall?

sands80

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT SEL
I'm pretty sure that I am being paranoid. Drove another 20 miles and its running fine.

citrustaco

TDI
10 Golf
One time my brother got confused with the ethanol free pump vs diesel pump and filled it up with gas. He barely made it 5 miles before the engine died. We drained the tank and it works fine now.

You're all good lol.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Winter blends, aka #1 diesel can feel dry, and have a different smell.
Some places blend #1 and #2 for winter use, and come spring, some suppliers try to blend the remaining #1 to get rid of it.
Know that Irving oil in Maine and NH sells a blend, and net result is they have a lower pump price, but slightly lower energy content. But the blend has a much better​ gel or cloud point that any treated #2 fuel.
Slightly less lube...But I ALWAYS TREAT, great extended​warrenty from VW or not on my 2015.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Symptoms of gasoline running in a modern TDI?:

In my search I also found this, cute...

AlcoC420

Veteran Member
TDI
Interestingly, I spoke to a tank truck driver the other day while he was unloading gasoline at a retail station. I asked him how he assures that diesel deliveries are made certain.

His employer's policy is that gasoline and diesel can never be unloaded at the same time; he can unload gas or diesel, but never both at once. He added that some carriers have a policy of delivering diesel in diesel-only trailers. This adds an extra level of protection that loads are unlikely to be loaded incorrectly or delivered incorrectly.

The driver was very sharp and our conversation helped my confidence. Foul-ups do happen, but it's clear that some carriers do their best to assure that only diesel makes in into our fuel tanks. He added that a delivery error would be expensive for a car owner, but financially ruinous for the fuel carrier.

Last edited:

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
During my last fillup the gas station had the incorrect nozzle as it would not release the fuel flap to insert the nozzle. It was labeled as diesel and did dispense diesel but the diameter was too small. Luckily I was able to get the flap open with my fingers.

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
and from what I heard of HPFP failures,, the spotlight is on using gas in a diesel will destroy the pump and hence the failure,, When a dealer tries to order the pump, it sets off a flag to VW and they want to know why you want it..