VAGtacho needed

Technician!

Veteran Member
TDI
None, currently
Anyone in Michigan (preferably near Lansing/Jackson) have this tool so I can program a new key for a 2003 Jetta? Would rather support a fellow member than spend $$ at the stealership.

Thanks!!

bbarbulo

Veteran Member
i bought one last week and kept effing with it, wouldn't connect. i sent it back and should have a replacement in about a week or so. if it connects and everything works as it should, you are welcome to use it for free. if it doesn't... you're still welcome to use it :D lol

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
IIRC, Jeff @Ross-Tech said there is a different login code on VCDS other than the 12233 to code in new keys. Can you find someone with VCDS and ask Ross-Tech their procedure?

bbarbulo

Veteran Member
^ vag tacho is to read the SKC. the damn dealership took off our little plastic tag off the valet key, if I had known the SKC was on the tag I would have burned that dealership down. I didn't find out till like 15 years later that there should have been a tag on the valet key

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
^ vag tacho is to read the SKC.
I think Vag-Tacho's two main things is PIN reading and changing the mileage;).

I bought a VAG401 on Amazon for this...it was the cheapest and easiest solution at the time. I have one of the Vag-Tacho clones...but I've not tried it. It came with a box full of other VW junk that I bought. I also have a Vag K-Commander...which worked...sort of. It did half of what I needed it for, and not the rest.

As for the OP's request, won't VCDS do what he needs?

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
I think Vag-Tacho's two main things is PIN reading and changing the mileage;).

I bought a VAG401 on Amazon for this...it was the cheapest and easiest solution at the time. I have one of the Vag-Tacho clones...but I've not tried it. It came with a box full of other VW junk that I bought. I also have a Vag K-Commander...which worked...sort of. It did half of what I needed it for, and not the rest.

As for the OP's request, won't VCDS do what he needs?
I took it as the OP has a new key, and needs the SKC for programming, so VCDS wasn't enough.

What do you think of the VAG401?

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
I took it as the OP has a new key, and needs the SKC for programming, so VCDS wasn't enough.

What do you think of the VAG401?
Yes, right...sorry. I remembered programming my keys using VCDS, but I forgot that I had my PIN code for that already.

The VAG401 is OK for what it costs. I think it was $40 bucks, or $43...something like that. I was swapping clusters, and buying or renting a legit Vag-Tacho didn't make much sense for me. I know that renting it is cost effective in the US, but shipping back and forth across the border complicates the process and makes it very expensive for me.

The VAG401 makes quick work of retrieving the PIN code and resetting the odometer. Once I had that done, I did the rest with VCDS.

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Just FYI, if you don't find it near by (it's not nearly as prolific as VCDS)) you can rent it form FixmyVW. They charge a pretty hefty deposit, but the rental is only $25 for a week, IIRC.

Technician!

Veteran Member
TDI
None, currently
I have a key that works, I just want to program the IMMO in a new key I bought from FixMyVw. The rental will do me no good, as I don't have a laptop....only a desk top.
Excellent service from FMVW by the way.

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I would be tempted to set the desktop up in the car then, but I'm a glutton for punishment most of the time.

How about a really long USB extension cable?

:D

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
That's what I did when I first got my vagcom in '99, right out the upstairs window.
If you go that route check what kind of cable you need, may be USB or UTP8 (cat5 network cable), might even be serial or parallel.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
I thought if you had a funcfuncfunctioning key you could program the car for the new key using the old???

bbarbulo

Veteran Member
^ yes for remote programming, which has nothing to do with what he's trying to do.

he needs to program the immo to start the car. never mind the remote programming. he needs a key that can actually start and run the car.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Chip tune, don't know about $60.
Most inexpensive would be to pull your ECU, send it (or take it) to someone who can do that.
One shortcut may be to take a working unit, remove the chip, and install adjacent to the steering column. (iirc it was Dweisel that did this). You do loose some security doing this, just depends on your situation.

Technician!

Veteran Member
TDI
None, currently
^ yes for remote programming, which has nothing to do with what he's trying to do.

he needs to program the immo to start the car. never mind the remote programming. he needs a key that can actually start and run the car.

Exactly! I already programmed the remote portion of the key.

U4ick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
OP, I bought a Vagtacho clone from E-bay for $14.85 with free shipping. It came from China and took almost 3 weeks to arrive. The ad stated that it would not work with an operating system later than XP.
While I was waiting I found an old Dell Latitude laptop with XP on it at the local Salvation Army store for $20.00.
When the cable arrived I pulled the pin code without a problem and played around with the mileage just to see if I could. I don't think I would use it for swapping clusters though, I would probably rent a real one.
I went ahead and loaded VCDS on it and now I don't have to worry about getting my good laptop greasy. It lives in my garage now and comes in very handy for any "key" issues and was cheaper than a Immo delete that would leave a symbol lit on the cluster anyway.

Jesus Is Lord

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon 144,000 2003 Eurovan VR6 2007 Touareg V10 TDI 158,000
I live in Reed City Michigan, so it would be quite a drive, but I have a Vag Tacho Clone that I have used on 3 or 4 cars and it works great. I also have VCDS if needed.
PM me if you are interested.

Levi

94cobra2615

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Black Wagon
Yes, you would need to pull the computer and send it in. I used a guy on ebay and he had incredible turn around time. He deletes it and sends it back the same day received.

The only thing you will then have to deal with is a permanent blinking immo light. I took care of that light for good by taking the cluster apart and unsoldering the LED light.ï

No more immobilizers for me :)

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
i bought one last week and kept effing with it, wouldn't connect. i sent it back and should have a replacement in about a week or so. if it connects and everything works as it should, you are welcome to use it for free. if it doesn't... you're still welcome to use it :D lol
The drivers only work correctly on 32 bit computers. So you would need an older laptop.

Technician!

Veteran Member
TDI
None, currently
Saw an ad on Craiglist about someone who could do it. Located in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Since I was over there today, doing a "Cat-ectomy" (success) and trying to find a creak/clunk noise (not successful), I called him up and had him do it.
A very nice young man named Heath, who charges $25 to retrieve the code and another $25 to program the key immo system. Took him about 15 minutes to do it.
His cell # is 616-419-8299 and his e-mail is trehert@gmail.com if you need it done I can recommend him.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
CAUTION: EVERY copy of this software I've ever seen has had a horrid trojan in it. If you load that on your computer your machine WILL get hijacked. The only "safe" way to do it is to set up a virtual machine image, load it, use it and then DESTROY said virtual machine (or wipe the disk you loaded it on in the first place.)

U4ick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
CAUTION: EVERY copy of this software I've ever seen has had a horrid trojan in it. If you load that on your computer your machine WILL get hijacked. The only "safe" way to do it is to set up a virtual machine image, load it, use it and then DESTROY said virtual machine (or wipe the disk you loaded it on in the first place.)
Yes !!!!! It's true !!!! It's because the people behind this plagiarized software are actually Russians working for Vladimir Putin !!!!!
Not only that..... they are in cahoots with North Korea !!!!!

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Yes !!!!! It's true !!!! It's because the people behind this plagiarized software are actually Russians working for Vladimir Putin !!!!!
Not only that..... they are in cahoots with North Korea !!!!!
When i bought my cable from ebay it came with a CD rom that did not have the virus. I have experienced the same problem with online downloads.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yes, I looked on the popular unauthorized software site, found vagtacho- In the comments it said "Win32" virus detected. No mention of Korea.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
I have seen two copies of the "mini-CD" and BOTH had trojans included at no extra charge..... IMHO you're insane to use that software (whether "legit" or "pirated") without hard-level firewalling (e.g. by creating a VM, using it, destroying the image, etc) -- especially these days when a trojan can very easily be perverted to cryptolock your machine without warning.