Can't find any answer. Rear caliper slide pin differences top and bottom,why n where?

guillaumeber

Vendor
TDI
Jetta 2000 TDI
I've seen this question asked over and over on different forums, always with unclear answers or no answers at all.

On our cars and on a lot of different cars, the top and bottom slide pins are different, sometimes one of the 2 have a small rubber bushing installed in a groove at the tip of the pin, some other have stepped/tappered pin at the top or bottom, some cars have the same pin top and bottom...

My car is a mk4 jetta. One of the pin is stepped (thinner at the tip) and the other pin straight in diameter with 3 ''flats'' in the pin lenght.

Looks like this: https://www.carid.com/images/wagner/items/h14925.jpg

Anyone has a clear answer on this issue? I'd like to know which pin goes where and why it's made like this... looks strange to me..

thanks a lot!

g.b.

Last edited:

dirtride

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
For some reason, this question seems un-answered all over the internet...
Probably something to do with your search terms. I did the same thing recently with my taxes. I searched and found a form I thought I needed, tax preparer said no, don't need that one, went back and searched with different terms and got an IRS page said I didn't need it.
Try 'rear caliper replace vw a4 pin'

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I would guess Runonbeer is correct. Looks like the two flats would only go where they were supposed to.
I think what is not being answered is WHY it is made that way. To keep them different yes, but why as they would seem to be similar.

I don't think this is exclusive to VW. I recall doing brakes on a Hyundai Veracruz and the top and bottom were different.