Considering a 2012 TDi

ctennyson

TDI
2010 Jetta
Hello Guys,

I am considering a trade in for a 2012 Touareg 3.0 TDi, I understand these SUV's are affected for the diesel gate woes..... but I am wondering if VW will offer a fix for these engines and when will that be announced ?

I have a 2010 Tiguan with a 190K and know I am running on borrowed time.

Cheers.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
regardless if they come up with a fix....dont listen to all the bull crap and people talking out their but holes....They cant take it from you, its youre choice even the 2.0 tdi buyback is youre choice. They cannot take something you own and they arent going to stop you from driving it...it will become an automatic pass likely just pay youre emission test money and long as it meets the standards that it was meeting before.

I know they will have to pry mine from my cold hands....by far the best car ive owned, not only that but its the perfect do everything machine...tow, quick, awd, luxuary. Ive tried a lot of cars and theres just something about how well the touareg is designed and built

Tom_B

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Touareg, 14 A6
The biggest drawback will likely be price. Unless someone doesn't know what they have, a 12 is eligible for the buyback and the owner would be unwise to sell for less than they will get from VW, which is far more than market value.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
there has not been one single ounce of information on if or when they even will deal with 3.0s....they havent even started 2.0 buybacks in canada. I highly doubt 1/4 if any touareg owners think they are getting a buyback. Not a single shred of info has been sent to canadian 3.0 owners. If you plan to wait to see what happens i bet you wait at least a year...your choice but its a VOLUNTARY buyback regardless.

Wait all you want i bought mine right before they said the 3.0s were involved in the cheat, not that i give 2 fly craps...but the price has actually stayed the same if not went up a bit since i bought mine. The 2.0 buyback here is still a while yet and its been well over a year here.....just go buy one you wont regret it

What does a tune get me? no adblue...over 100 more hp....least my setup. I loved it stock love it more now.

If you want one i think youd be crazy to wait...either A all the 9-12s get sold back or held onto.....and the buybacks likely buy up 13+ units and the price of used likely rise as they will become even harder to find. A good tdi here is already hard to find.

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
Get one before the settlement and you may be (maybe) entitled to some cashback. I just picked up a 2014 and had been looking since October. They are hard to find with decent mileage at decent price and they sell fast if priced low.
Note that the 2013+ has a bigger turbo and more horsepower if that matters to you? It was important factor for me as tuning options with the bigger turbo output a lot more power. Shop a bigger range (distance wise) to compare prices, may be worth picking one up or having it shipped from another province if price is right. Good luck!

Tom_B

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Touareg, 14 A6
My bad, didn't notice the OP is in Canada. Good luck, maybe you can find one reasonably priced north of the 49th Parallel.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Get one before the settlement and you may be (maybe) entitled to some cashback. I just picked up a 2014 and had been looking since October. They are hard to find with decent mileage at decent price and they sell fast if priced low.
Note that the 2013+ has a bigger turbo and more horsepower if that matters to you? It was important factor for me as tuning options with the bigger turbo output a lot more power. Shop a bigger range (distance wise) to compare prices, may be worth picking one up or having it shipped from another province if price is right. Good luck!
yes and no...many who have drove a stock 9>12 and then a 13 plus feel there is less low end on the 13+ engine. It does have 2 less timing chains i like that but the turbo is less easy to change and as far as i know no one ive seen has changed one out for something better. Even 0-60 times are super slightly quicker on the 12 and lower.

Both engines are perfect, i dont think the 13 or 12 tune power difference will be very noticeable really. The tuned 3.0 is an animal, now something like mine with a even bigger then your 14 turbo but hybrid and a aggressive tune is wild for a 5k lb unit

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
That's what I read also regarding power differences. However the tuning websites (Malone, APR etc) show a substantial increase in power once tuned with the bigger turbo. My goal is to tune without changing turbo so this was a major factor for me. Unitronic will be tuning mine as the owner is a personal friend.
How is the sound with the gutted muffler and no DPF? You still have the cat? I thought you had e-testing in Ontario? Does it pass without DPF?

ctennyson

TDI
2010 Jetta
Just made the splash into the Touareg market, purchased a 2012 Tdi last night with 99Km on it. Got an amazing price, so I couldn't leave it behind. Very clean car inside and out, needs some minor detailing.

I am a little nervous with how VW will approach the 2012 fix but decided to take a gamble anyway.