Need Help-Radio cut out of car

sizzlin bacon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI S
When I bought my car, the guy I bought it from (looks to have) cut the radio out and the harness is cut in multiple spots where the "plugs" would have been. I'd like to wire in a radio, but don't really know where to start as far as either repairing the harness or putting a new one in/retrofitting the wiring that's there.

I know pictures are worth a thousand words, but if anyone has some advice, I'd appreciate it. I can shoot some photos after work if its light enough still.

I have the original radio in the back with the spare tire (TDI Jetta Wagon), so I could use it or maybe buy a radio from Wal Mart or something. There is also wiring for what looked to be a sub and I believe it has an amp in the back. :confused:

Thanks. :)

Hwycruiser

TDI
Call Crutchfield, they can help you and get you the harness and replacement unit. Can probably advise whether or not to using existing amp, etc or replace with new. You should also pull off the interior door panels and check the speakers. I have found them to be completely shot, and replaced with new made a huge difference. Stick with component speakers for best sound, you probably can do without the amp with good door speakrs.

Last edited:

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
theres diagrams out there, this will help you hopefully

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/5c/9d/42/5c9d42d71216d8d06df56c3f4ec500b3.jpg

if the system is butchered the colours could mean nothing, but the wires going to the doors should be somewhat obvious from what I recall if still stock (in terms of wiring pattern, you may have to test the pairs to see what door is what colour).

In terms of grounds/hot etc a test light will do you wonders. If the system has been butchered you may be in for a significant amount of work to rebuild it, who knows what someone did with an amp etc.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Pull that original radio out of the trunk, look and see if there isn't a sticker on it identifying the wires, mine did.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
When I replaced my radio I ran all new wires to the 4 speakers, power (always on and with the key on) and ground and left the car wires out of it.
I also removed the booster in the back quarter panel.
It was a lot more work running the speaker wires under the rug and up the door post but I wanted 16 gauge wire, not dental floss wire.
Had to replace the rear door speakers anyway, 1 was blown out by the dealer. :(
I installed a Kenwood with GPS, Delerious radio (ready if you buy the module) and DVD.
WHAT A DIFFERENCE :)

Rich W.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Depending on where you are located in Washington, I could meet you somewhere for a weekend rewire party. I have a parts car that could donate the connector and harness pigtail, as well as plenty of soldering and heat shrink supplies.

Feel free to drop me a line here, or at the PM'd personal contact info.

sizzlin bacon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI S
I'll try to get some photos loaded up tonight, but the harness has been cut and spliced and had parts removed it appears. If I pull the dash out, does this harness plug into a larger harness such that I can remove it and simply replace it?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No radio for almost 5 months?
I guess you sing a lot? :)
The wire diagram link in post 3 does not look like the Monsoon radio. (no amp in the diagram)
At a minimum you need the plug(s) for the radio and have to hook up the wires correctly to avoid a short possibly doing other damage.
Also if wired incorrectly you may not be able to scan for codes if you have engine problems. Know issue with wiring in replacement radio's.
If you decide to buy a replacement radio:
If you are comfortable with electrical work the running all new wires might be easier.
To save opening the door panels (like I did) you could tap into the speaker wire in the B & E post.
Also, if getting a replacement radio -and- you have the amplified antenna you will need a power injector for the antenna to work.
The powered antenna bases have been known to corrode internally and self destruct leaving very poor if any reception.

sizzlin bacon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI S
I haven't had a radio since August 2014 when I bought the car... :/

I'd like to just replace the harness and hook up the stock radio for now. I have been aaking around to the people with parts cars if I could buy their radio harness, but so far not a whole lot of luck.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I haven't had a radio since August 2014 when I bought the car... :/

I'd like to just replace the harness and hook up the stock radio for now. I have been aaking around to the people with parts cars if I could buy their radio harness, but so far not a whole lot of luck.
Thought I heard you singing the other day. :D
Are there any 'pick & pull' junk yards in your area.
Tell them what you need, the entire or part of the harness and they should not be to expensive.
Pulling the entire harness might take a bit more effort but you will know its wired correctly.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wiring an aftermarket and even running new wires to every speaker would have taken less than 3 years.
You can't rush perfection. :D
It took me a bit over 2 hours to run new (real) speaker wires on 1 side of mine. (times 2 sides)
I did run it under the bottom trim and up the posts through the boot into the door. (not connected to the speakers)
Did each side on 2 Saturdays.
Radio installation was over 3 hours including removing the booster in back and new power wires.
No connecting into the VW wires.
Almost forgot, it was about 2 months from when I bought the radio before I started.

When he's tired of singing he will get to it.

dirtride

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
You can't rush perfection. :D
It took me a bit over 2 hours to run new (real) speaker wires on 1 side of mine. (times 2 sides)
I did run it under the bottom trim and up the posts through the boot into the door. (not connected to the speakers)
Did each side on 2 Saturdays.
Radio installation was over 3 hours including removing the booster in back and new power wires.
No connecting into the VW wires.
Almost forgot, it was about 2 months from when I bought the radio before I started.
YEP! Aftermarket car audio and gauges ~ two of my least favorite installs....

But the results = :D:D!

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
YEP! Aftermarket car audio and gauges ~ two of my least favorite installs....

But the results = :D:D!
100% agree with you on the results.
I don't mind the installs, I just go slow and plan things.
I couldn't believe how much better the HD FM is.
I would put it on par with Delirious radio.
I'm not activating Delirious until I retire and move the radio to my Tiguan. :)

dirtride

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
"Delirious" radio is the BOMB!!!
Years ago when it first came out I subscribed for a month, became hooked and immediately went forward with the lifetime membership. One of the best investments I've made. Still love it & not paying for many, many years now!!