P2564 Code - Adjustment?

Ryan_B

TDI
2006 Jetta & 2003 GOLF
Hello all. I am hoping I may find some help from fellow TDI owners. I have a 2006 Jettta TDI BRM Engine code. I'm finding out that the turbo's in these are rare and interesting beasts. I found that my car was going into limp mode occasionally at low rpm. Further investigation lead me to the Turbo and I found that the actuator was not holding vacuum. Further investigation and I found that not only it is very difficult to get that thing off while the turbo is still installed, the part itself is as rare as hens teeth. Then I found that IDPARTS appears to have taken an actuator for a different turbo and built a bracket to make it fit on this one. I found another vendor who copied that and I purchased that and replaced the actuator.

I followed the below video for setting the unit up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fBR5hcDc08

The OBD reader shows that I have this code now P2564. Something about turbo vane voltage low. I am assuming I did not get the adjustment correct. But adjusting this takes two people as I have to come up from below the car to get at the bottom nut. There just is no room coming from the top. It's really a terrible design. So, before I try to adjust it again, does anyone know if the code means the actuator is bad electronically (new one holds vacuum and I see it move down when the car is started) or if I need to make adjustments. And if I need to make adjustment, which direction? It's such a pain to do I want to get it right asap...

I do have a VAG-COM cable coming I bought from Ross Tech. Is there something I should get into the diagnostics with that to make changes somehow?

Thanks for any help / Insight you could provide.

~RyanB

Ryan_B

TDI
2006 Jetta & 2003 GOLF
Hi there. Still hoping I'll hear from someone on this.

I've had a chance now to drive the car. It is certainly building boost now. However I must have to make some adjustments. When driving at low rpm/speed in first or second gear I hear a loud air rushing sound like a tire is losing air. If I give it just a bit of pedal then the sound goes away after a moment and the car takes off. When the car is under load as in during acceleration the sound is not there. Idea's? I looked at the turbo and it must have an internal wastegate, so I am trying to figure out where the air noise is coming from.

Still have that code so I must need to adjust it? I just got my HEX-CAN cable today so I'll look at that soon as well.

N.CaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Hi there. Still hoping I'll hear from someone on this.

I've had a chance now to drive the car. It is certainly building boost now. However I must have to make some adjustments. When driving at low rpm/speed in first or second gear I hear a loud air rushing sound like a tire is losing air. If I give it just a bit of pedal then the sound goes away after a moment and the car takes off. When the car is under load as in during acceleration the sound is not there. Idea's? I looked at the turbo and it must have an internal wastegate, so I am trying to figure out where the air noise is coming from.

Still have that code so I must need to adjust it? I just got my HEX-CAN cable today so I'll look at that soon as well.
Sounds like a boost leak check/replace inter-cooler seals or do a boost test to see where the leak is. For your VNT adjustment I would run the test mode in VCDS and see if you can adjust it for a net change of 150 or so (check this board for zip tie mode adjustments)

Ryan_B

TDI
2006 Jetta & 2003 GOLF

N.CaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Thank you! That was extremely helpful. I found the below link in another thread and will follow it's information on checking boost levels. I'll also see what I can do to find that leak, it's just very strange it goes away under power, I kinda expected it to get louder I guess. I assume you mean to do a boost test using VCDS also as described in the below link.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/turbo-stop-screw-adjustment-tdi-engine-zip-tie-engine-hesitation/

Yes that is it. I thought anything over a 150 change caused trouble they imply 250. You boost leak maybe caused by a bad pipe seal they actually get pushed together as the pressure builds in the pipe that is why they leak at low pressure but not high turbo. You can pressurize the pipes with a air hose and see if you can find which one is leaking.

RunTheRace

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI MkIV (A4 chassis) w/ALH Engine
Is my 2000 Jetta, 1.9L TDI, an OBD or OBD2? Has anyone purchased a wifi/blue tooth obd with phone app?