how to properly time your engine

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
High on both entertainment factor and W.T.F. factor this threads is.
As I have explained young padawan, the truth depends on your point of view. - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Or as Yoda might say, "either know something or do not". There is no dream stuff up and present it as fact.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
I think I did learn something from all of this. Torsion KW could care less about TDC, it is only measuring the cams relationship to the crank. If you want to know somethings relationship to TDC, you would look at a different measuring block.
As has been stated numerous times Torsion is an error number, now we have to figure out where the error is, crank no adjustment, cam we can adjust...ahhh crap think I sell this piece of sh$t and buy a prius, then I can adjust electrons

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
THere are numerous threads on the optimal torsion value in a PD engine.

The consensus is that there isn't one.

The factory wrote the "KW" on each timing belt cover, and they were all different, usually in the +- 1.0 range.

As many have experimented, they have found that it takes trial and error to find your car's optimal setting.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
THere are numerous threads on the optimal torsion value in a PD engine.

The consensus is that there isn't one.

The factory wrote the "KW" on each timing belt cover, and they were all different, usually in the +- 1.0 range.

As many have experimented, they have found that it takes trial and error to find your car's optimal setting.

thank you

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
As has been stated numerous times Torsion is an error number, now we have to figure out where the error is, crank no adjustment, cam we can adjust...ahhh crap think I sell this piece of sh$t and buy a prius, then I can adjust electrons
The only person that has called Torsion an "error number" is you. The crank cant be adjusted because TDC is a physical reality of every piston engine ever made. It is when the #1 piston is at the top of it's stroke.

SO, these cars are steaming piles (POS) because you can't comprehend simple concepts that have been explained to you repeatedly?

Last edited:

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
You guys called my enough names, Windex made the most sense, (comes down to trial and error which I was trying to minimize with my trusty scope) I'm taking my bat and going home. Later

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
All this time, I didn't have a clue. I'm going to throw out all my car manuals, other technical data and practical knowledge I've collected over the years and just buy myself a "Trusty" brand scope.

Sorry guys, I know I shouldn't poke the bear but I take it maybe a little to seriously when my intelligence is insulted.

I've worked with a ton of engineers building and testing transport category aircraft over the years and really education isn't worth all that much if you can't temper it with common sense and critical thinking.