P0401 code + tailpipe soot = cracked DPF???

nhdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6M gone back to VWoA, 1996 Passat Wagon (RIP)
So, I got the CEL and dreaded P0401 code yesterday for the second time in the past few months. Reading previous forum posts suggests that this is a very bad thing as in cracked DPF when accompanied by soot in the tailpipes which I also have. 83000 miles... out of warranty of course.

Would appreciate input from others who have experienced this and what solution is needed. Is it DPF and EGR filter replacement only or does everything downstream from the DPF also have to be replaced? What cost might be expected?

This is a 2011 JSW 6MT purchased new in January of 2011. It has seen the dealer only once since then for a software update. All regular maintenance done by me as per recommended schedule.

Needless to say, this makes me most unhappy :-(

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom! Log attached below FYI...

Address 01: Engine (CJA) Labels: 03L-906-022-CBE.clb
Part No SW: 03L 906 019 DA HW: 03L 906 019 DA
Component: R4 2,0L EDC G000SG 8217
Revision: 12H07--- Serial number:
Coding: 0050072
Shop #: WSC 01128 444 19779
VCID: 6DD1331274473949B56-8038

1 Fault Found:
001025 - EGR System
P0401 - 001 - Insufficient Flow - Intermittent - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 10100001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 2
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 133173 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2015.03.09
Time: 13:41:49

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1955 /min
Speed: 116.0 km/h
Voltage: 14.29 V
Load: 89.8 %
Load: 100.0 %
Mass Air / Rev.: 490.0 mg/str
Mass Air / Rev.: 495.0 mg/str

Readiness: 1 1 0 0 0

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
I'm responding on Tapatalk so I can't see where you're from but if you're in a state that doesn't do diesel emissions testing, then I highly recommend you ditch the DPF alltogether. If that's not possible, then try calling VWOA first to discuss possible options. They may not cover all costs but at this point you've got nothing to lose.

Sent from my SM-P607T using Tapatalk

nhdude

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks... NH does a OBDC emissiokns check so I suspect a delete would not fly here.

autoxerwgn

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG, 2006 TDI (Sold)
Looks like the book time for replacement is 4.5 hours, so estimate about $450-500 labor. The EGR filter looks like it lists for $245. I can't seem to find the list price for the DPF but ECS has it for $1200. Plan for it to be more at the dealer.

All in, I would estimate it to be around $2500 or so, if you can't do the work yourself. You could always try and find a used DPF that someone with a delete doesn't need anymore.

Just wondering, do you happen to have something to monitor if your car is doing a regen or not? If not, any idea how often you might interrupt said regen? Wondering if it may have had anything to do with the failure. I have read that many suspect it does contribute, but of course there isn't any way to prove it for sure or not.

nhdude

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks! Yes, DPF seems to run $1000 to $1200 depending upon vendor. Not sure I have the skills to do the replacement myself so the labor is probably something I have to plan on. It won't be done at a dealer in any event.

I will check regen data with VCDS but the car has been doing regens and I don't thing I've interrupted them too frequently.

Also wondering what would/will happen if I ignore this problem for a while? Other than further clogging the EGR filter, any other undesirable consequences?

Thanks again!

autoxerwgn

Veteran Member
TDI
I wonder if the faults would prevent the car from attempting further regens. Even if the current DPF is cracked, I doubt the crack(s) would be enough to allow enough exhaust flow past in the event the DPF fills up and clogs due to a lack of regens. Since the DPF and EGR filter are already dead, my worry would be the turbo. If the car still attempts regens, I would think you should be OK to drive it for a while. If not, the possibility of excess strain due to the back pressure and maybe excessive heat could damage the turbo.

Not sure if this happens or is possible, but just thinking out loud here.

nhdude

Veteran Member
TDI
Certainly worth checking out... will watch for regens to see that they are still happening. Or, may just force one next time I drive it to ensure I get one. Ash load is currently 75ml which is way below the 175ml max so DPF is probably not filled and clogged. So, getting soot through the possible crack in the DPF. Ultimately, I guess this will further clog the EGR cooler and give more codes.

Thanks!

I wonder if the faults would prevent the car from attempting further regens. Even if the current DPF is cracked, I doubt the crack(s) would be enough to allow enough exhaust flow past in the event the DPF fills up and clogs due to a lack of regens. Since the DPF and EGR filter are already dead, my worry would be the turbo. If the car still attempts regens, I would think you should be OK to drive it for a while. If not, the possibility of excess strain due to the back pressure and maybe excessive heat could damage the turbo.

Not sure if this happens or is possible, but just thinking out loud here.

nhdude

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, I appreciate that! Picking up a complete used system may be a good move as it's possible I'll need the pieces other than the DPF and EGR at some point down the line. Priced new EGR and DPF with all gaskets, etc. at total of $1149 at local stealer.

nhdude

Veteran Member
TDI
Also wondering about how to do the soot level adaptation when installing a used DPF with some load already in it? There is a procedure for a new DPF but nothing documented (of course) for a used one. Anyone have experience with this or suggestions?

Thanks!

npb

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I just had this happen with my Golf as well. I'm thinking about getting used equipment, but I'm just wondering if there's a consensus here on what all has to be replaced?

EGR Filter
EGR valve (maybe?)
DPF

What about the other things in the chain? Can they be damaged by the excessive soot?

NOx Storage Catalyst
Sulfur Catalyst
Others?

Thank you,
Nick

autoxerwgn

Veteran Member
TDI
I wouldn't worry about anything other than the DPF and the EGR filter. If the other cat(s) fail, they are easily replaced compared with the DPF. The NOx converter is monitored with a oxygen sensor so it should trigger a fault if there is an issue with it. I am pretty sure that the sulfur catalyst isn't even monitored so if it fails, it won't set a light.

nhdude

Veteran Member
TDI
Wondering what the consensus is regarding cracked DPF (leaking soot) impact on these following catalytic converters? Don't know how long mine has been cracked though just got the P0401 a couple of months ago for the first time.

Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about anything other than the DPF and the EGR filter. If the other cat(s) fail, they are easily replaced compared with the DPF. The NOx converter is monitored with a oxygen sensor so it should trigger a fault if there is an issue with it. I am pretty sure that the sulfur catalyst isn't even monitored so if it fails, it won't set a light.