New owner, 2015 Jetta TDi SEL... What do I need to know?

bsdboy

TDI
'03 Jetta
Hey there, it's been a few years since I've been on the forum but I'm back.

I drove my little 2003 TDi all over, bought it with close to 100k on the clock, put over another 100k on it, gave it to my niece for her first vehicle. That vehicle might live forever. Loved it.

Wife was looking for a new vehicle, we put the TDi on the list and ended up getting a pretty smoking deal for a loaded SEL model. ($22.5k if you're curious, MSRP was $28.5k and they were selling it for $30.5k due to them putting a premium on TDi's here in California.) I think the only things it doesn't have is remote start and driver avoidance, and auto headlights.

Anyway, short story long... we have a new TDi in the family. What do I need to know? Anything we should be doing, shouldn't be doing, etc?

We just filled the tank for the first time since we've bought it, so it's got about 400 miles on it now. :D

My impressions; my 2003 was a manual transmission and the 2015 we have is the DSG auto. I feel that it's more under-powered than I would expect, I never really could feel any turbo lag in my mkiv but this new guy takes a while to load up. Maybe 1-2 seconds. I've also got a 6.7L cummins truck, I expect to feel the turbo there... but honestly it's similar to the TDi. Is this because of the auto?

After that it's a wonderful vehicle, feels nicely made and grips the road rather well.

Also what's the deal with biodiesel these days... my 2003 ran it exclusively for a while, I seem to recall reading these dual cat systems don't do well with biodiesel.

MN_TDI12

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI DSG w/Nav
The lag you feel is likely electronic. Tuning the DSG with significantly cut down on that.

Also, bio blends are fine in the CRD. While VW states 5% as the max allowed, I believe folks in Illinois have been running blends at 10-11% without issuse. 100% bio is a no go.

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel
You're good to 40k when you have to have the transmission fluid changed. The oil changes are 10k just like your 03.

bsdboy

TDI
'03 Jetta
Interesting stuff with the DSG tune.

Quick search shows HPA is about $700 and that appears to really do some good stuff. Wondering how this affects the warranty and fuel milage. Is it legal to do this in California? They really don't like you messing with diesel here these days, but it's the transmission so maybe it's okay.

Probably stay away from bio, the 2003 had fuel line issues when you cut over. Not sure if 5% would do the same, but it's definitely easier to find b100 than b5 here.

Thanks for the responses!

MN_TDI12

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI DSG w/Nav
I would recommend the Malone tune as I have that. It would likely void the warranty of the trans. Fuel mileage wouldn't likely change, mine went down right away simply because I could now enjoy the full potential of my Stage 1.5 engine tune.

http://www.malonetuning.com/20l-cr-tdi

Perfectly legal to do in Kali as it have zero to do with the engine.

I would just run regular pump diesel. In the midwest, regular pump diesel is a bio blend.

Gearhead007

TDI
2015 VW Jetta EA288/CVCA
I have owned my 2015 Jetta SE TDI 6 Speed Manual for 3 weeks.
While this is my first Diesel, it is not my first experience with a Diesel. Also, I consider myself a "Fortunate One" because mechanics is a hobby. I do not have to work on other peoples' crap everyday for a living. That is what my best friend, the garage owner, does for a living.
With that said, I need information on the following topics:
  • Is it normal practice to go 10K miles on an oil change. Did I mention I am old school? My Garage Bro says change the filter every 5K miles and add a quart, then change the oil and filter at 10K miles.
  • I plan to change the oil and filter at 5K miles with Castrol Professional LL03 5w30 and an OEM filter because it is a new engine and I am old school. When I get the freebie dealership oil change at 10K, I plane to have the oil analysed at Blackstone. Has any one used Blackstone?
  • What is a real world change interval for the fuel filter.
  • What is your opinion of a K&N Air Filter. Mileage gain? Performance gain?
I am looking for mileage gains more than power and handling gains.
Thanks.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
These cars require a special oil (507) which is synthetic and is formulated for the CRD diesel you are wasting your time and money to change the oil early filter also......synthetic oil could last even longer than 10,000 miles real world on the fuel filter aroun 20,000....
KN another waste on time and money and also bad for your MAF can ruin it because of the oil on the filter.......steer clear of the KN

Gearhead007

TDI
2015 VW Jetta EA288/CVCA
These cars require a special oil (507) which is synthetic and is formulated for the CRD diesel you are wasting your time and money to change the oil early filter also......synthetic oil could last even longer than 10,000 miles real world on the fuel filter aroun 20,000....
KN another waste on time and money and also bad for your MAF can ruin it because of the oil on the filter.......steer clear of the KN
I do understand the 507.00 VW standard and will use this type of oil.
My Garage Owner Friend has seen several OEM oil filters come apart at distances greater than 10k miles. $25 every 5K miles for a filter change is cheap insurance.
No K&N
20K miles on fuel filter.
What about periodic fuel additives?

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
It is your car.....I have owned many VW's over the years all but 1 we're diesel ,used Mann Filters which are factory...oil fuel air and cabinet never had a problem.......
I use OPTI lube XPD every tank to aid lubricity as US diesel fuel sucks!

steve1479

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI
The DSG definitely feels different than the manual. I test drove both prior to buying mine and thank God I got the manual. There is a definite lag with the DSG, also keep in mind coming from your cummins that these are two completely different motors and the 2.0 in your VW is about a fraction of the size of that cummins.

At work I drive Internationals & Freightliners with MaxxForce & Cummins engines and I know the feeling of coming back into my VW at the end of the day and wondering where the turbo kick & the massive torque is.

I just finished break in and had my first oil change, I followed the break in procedure from both the manual and http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=252501

Follow that as well as your manuals specified service intervals and you should be okay.

Gearhead007

TDI
2015 VW Jetta EA288/CVCA
It is your car.....I have owned many VW's over the years all but 1 we're diesel ,used Mann Filters which are factory...oil fuel air and cabinet never had a problem.......
I use OPTI lube XPD every tank to aid lubricity as US diesel fuel sucks!
I have used Mann filters for decades in for my '92 BMW 525i. I will continue to use these in the VW.

After reading the break-in article, I will go 10k miles on the oil change. It is contrary to what I have learned but lubricants and materials have significantly changed over the last few decades.

I will check the on a fuel additive. What are people using to get around the fuel filler guard to add a fuel additive? The '15 Jetta has a gizmo to keep people from filling with Gasoline.

oceanrunner

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SE TDI 6M
Anybody know if the oil filter access is on the top or bottom of the new EA288 engine. I have not had a look yet. I was hoping to still use my oil extractor and do everything top side.

Last edited:

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Oil filter is accessed from underside of the engine. You can still use your extractor if you want but might as well drain from the pan since you have to pull the belly panel.