Soooo New! Save me from my ignorance please!

Odysseus50

TDI
None. Yet...
Wow, great forum. I've been reading a lot. But I'm very new to this subject. I have no experience with the Jetti or diesel cars.

I am looking to buy a 2001 with around 140,000 miles. I have the carfax report, which includes:

07/29/2009 84,627
Maintenance inspection completed
Front wiper blades/refills replaced
Oil and filter changed
Timing belt/water pump/tensioner/idler replaced
Antifreeze/coolant flushed/changed

09/22/2010 103,841
Recommended maintenance performed
Coolant temperature sensor replaced
Cooling system checked
Brakes checked
Drivability/performance checked

Only 2 owners, first one did a lot of maintenance. The second owner only had it for less than two years and 30,000 miles. Price is around $6000.

1.) Does this seem like a good deal?
2.) I am going to have it checked by a professional before I buy but what should I look for and ask?

My dream, and please don't hesitate to squash it with cold hard facts, is to make my own biodiesel fuel and kiss the gas stations goodbye.

3.) Is this realistic?
4.) Is there a method of production that you can recommend?

Thank you for all the information.

50anglia

TDI
Well after being being on the site a while, although never owning an A4, from what I've read on here, the first question would be is it an automatic (I'm sure someone will pipe in on this) which is apparently bad news. Other than that, I believe the timing belt was changed early and seems like a fair price.

Odysseus50

TDI
None. Yet...
Well after being being on the site a while, although never owning an A4, from what I've read on here, the first question would be is it an automatic (I'm sure someone will pipe in on this) which is apparently bad news. Other than that, I believe the timing belt was changed early and seems like a fair price.
Thank you. It is an automatic transmission. If I understand correctly, and I may not, the "01M" automatic transmissions was only used on TDI-powered cars '98 through 2003 NB and late '99 through 2003 Golf/Jetta.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=189029

Do I understand correctly?

Last edited:

Metalhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
You are correct, that car does have an 01M. Personally I would never buy a TDi with an 01M, I'd look for a 5 speed. Better MPG, faster, more fun to drive, more reliable.

Other than that, I'd go ahead and change the timing belt if/when you get it, as it's almost time anyway.

6,000 seems a little steep considering it's an automatic.

Biodiesel seems like fun, but you'll be turning filling up your car into a time consuming hobby. If you're dedicated, it's probably doable.

YEAAAAH

Veteran Member
TDI
NONE
Alot of people have had bad experiences with the auto trans,but some swear that they arent bad if you change the fluid and do other work to it (perhaps someone could explain this better than I).

The Timing belt was done 65K ago, so that will be to be done sooner than later.

Suspension pieces may need replacement around that mileage.

If the trans fails thenthat will be alot of $ to replace or swap 5speed in.

If the car was a5sp I would pull the trigger, but not on theauto.

Hope this helps

Odysseus50

TDI
None. Yet...
I did misunderstood. I'm very new to this subject so I thought "Golf/Jetta" meant the Golf version of the Jetta. I just realized the quote was referring to the New Bug, Golf >and< Jetta. That stinks.

So a 2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI that is has 120,000 miles for $8500 is a better way to go? The price keeps getting stiffer.:( What should I be aiming for price wise for a car with those specs?

I've never learned to drive a stick. I hope it's not too hard, lol.

Odysseus50

TDI
None. Yet...
Is the timing belt an issue for manuals or just automatics? What should I be asking and planing for a manual of that age and with those miles? The carfax report shows:

02/25/2013
Damage Report Accident reported
Involving left front impact
It hit another motor vehicle
Damage reported to:
Left front

Airbag was deployed.

Thanks guys.

dieselpony

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL 6 speed manual Moonrock Silver
$8500 seems too much for an 02, unless it's immaculate and incredibly rare, but even then. The timing belt is the same issue whether manual or automatic, required every 60-80k (not sure which - I drive a BRM 06, which you might also want to check out).

I wouldn't pay a lot of money for a car where the accident caused damage to the front and airbag was deployed.

There are a lot of TDI fish out there. Have you tried foobert.com? It gathers all the craigslist private sales for TDIs for the past day and puts them together. You need to get an accurate idea on what prices are, and that may help.

If you'd be willing to drive a New Beetle, they seem to be the least inexpensive option of the body styles.

02DslPwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, TDI
The change interval for a timing belt on a 2002 Automatic is 40k miles. You can change that to 100k interval if you use the right kit from Diesel Geek.

mudduck

TDI
2003 Jetta, F250
I recently purchased a 03 TDI Jetta 5 sp. (150K miles on it) for 8K. The car is pretty much flawless with all of the maint. done on time and a newish timing belt. A decent price for the car in my neck of the woods, if in good shape they are all going above KBB in CA. Be patient and picky it will save you money in the long run. Do not walk....run away from the Auto, replacement is $~3500 and they regularly fail at around 130K miles. Some have reported better luck but the concensus is 5sp all the way.

On the bio I am making and burning B100 but have been doing so in a MB and Ford for 10 years. It's doable but takes some time and knowledge. There are plenty of online resources.

But hey you don't have to make very much bio when your getting 46+ MPG. It might make the IP leak over time but alot of them seem to develop leaks on Diesel too and it's an easy fix.

Last edited:

04SlvrJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat SE DSG
If you want an automatic, look to the 2004 model year. You may have to take one with some more miles on it to get down to the price you're willing to pay. I have the 09A (tiptronic) 5sp auto in my car. Also, the DSG was offered in the beetle earlier than other models...just can't recall what year. I wouldn't pay the prices you mention for a 2004...but would take one with higher miles. As the ALH engine cars go, it seems consensus here is a 2003 is the overall best. I have not owned an ALH, but have had good luck wth my BEW which is a pumpe duese engine (uses a tandem vacuum/fuel pump on the head and a fuel rail that feeds the unit-injectors or pump-injectors as some call them. If there is a weak point to these cars it is the cam/lifters because the pump-injectors are run by roller rockers on the 4 extra cam lobes on the camshaft. The design allowed for less overall space and narrower lobes which are prone to wear. I have not had these issues on my BEW, but I may have by now if I didn't put off the timing belt and have to swap the head! Take the TB very seriously....these engines are ultra high interference design and broken TB's will damage internals every time! Good luck with your search!