What year seats go with what year MK5?

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
SO... for a. 2006 Jetta sedan with heated memory seats...

What year MK5 will fit and bolt right up with no mods to wiring or airbags etc?

looking at 2009-2014 especially since they are newer and less worn

anyone have any idea? Need front AND rear. Thanks

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
I think that mk5 and mk6 are all physically interchangeable. Not so much when it comes about making them work without errors. I don't think that you will be able to make a 2010 mk5 or a mk6 seat work in a 2006. The electronics in the platforms are totally different. I have installed in my 06 Jetta TDI the leather seats from a 07 GTI. I had to swap the passenger occupancy module from my old seat into the new ones (held by two screws under the seat), as I could not clear the airbag error in my dashboard. Also I had to cut the airbag connectors from the old seats and swap them to the GTI seats (3 wires). After that I was able to clear the airbag error.

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
Thanks. Thats what I was thinking.,

tadpole517

TDI
2001 VW jetta
Seat interchangability

Slightly off topic but, in the same vain, does anyone know if one can take the passenger seat heated leather (foam, heater leather etc) and put it on the drivers side seat?
I'm getting a parts car and the drivers side leather is cracked just like mine, but the passenger is fine.

Tharkhold

TDI
Mk5
I installed mk6 GTI heated seats w/elec lumbar in my 2008 rabbit (no heat, manual everything), no issues, everything works. You just have to wire everything in, and get plug receptacles if your car didnt have anything electric. Having anything already electric on your car makes it ALOT easier though.

The biggest thing is that mk5 airbag systems use the seat belt as a confirmation device, vs the mk6 where it doesn't as it uses a bladder for occupant confirmation. For some reason, Canada doesn't (or didn't) require the bladder occupant sensor, so that made it alot easier to switch.

Seat variants also have the seatbelt connector as part of the airbag confimation system (yellow plug) vs later generations where the seatbelt was removed from the airbag confirmation system (black plug).

The heated seat bit also makes a difference. If I remember correctly, VW changed the heat modules/harnesses in mid '07, so that makes a difference. Late mk5 heat seats are the same as mk6 heat seats.

Last edited: