8 speeed Aisin fluid compatibilty....why not just Toyota WS?

Dsmart

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
I've been doing what seems like endless research on this subject as im planning to change the fluid in my Touareg. I know the VW spec is for G 055 540 A2 and I know there are plenty of compatible synthetic alternatives but in my country (Canada) they are not readily available and once I factor in shipping and exchange from the USA I might as well go down to the dealer and empty my wallet for their fluid.....well actually someones elses fluid with their part number on it. Anyways to the point of my thread. If all of these alternative G 055 540 A2 fluids are WS compatible such as Pentosin, Liqui Moly, Ravenol T-WS etc.....what would be the downfall of just using the factory Toyota WS. At around $8/L and available down the street at the local Toyota dealer it seems like a no brainer but perhaps there is a reason the discussion always ends up with the more exotic brands/fluids??

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
The reasoning is two-fold.

1) Because some of us can't stand not buying some exotic aftermarket fluids because they're better for everything. If you don't believe it, just read the ad copy. And they're nearly always cheaper than official VW fluids, because VW is so blinkin' proud of their stuff. That VW logo costs extra, you know.

2) Because all other reasoning aside, many of us just can't wrap our little brains around going to a <gasp!> Toyota dealership for anything.

Cheers,

PH

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
"Because all other reasoning aside"

Most seem to use their intellect to rationalise what are essentially emotional
decisions. It's amazing what people can convince themselves of.

My wooden $.05.

coolvdub

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI/2013 JSW
Do your research and if the Toyota uses the same manufacturer for the 8 speed then use the Toyota fluid. I went down the same rabbit hole with my 02 1.8T Jetta with the 5 speed Tiptronic. Found out the same Jatco branded transmission was in the Mazda MPV Van just a different configuration used Mercon V.

I tried it and got well over 200k miles with no failures or problems. Was still shifting fine at 435k miles when my son totaled it a few months ago, original trans failed at 200k on factory recommended fluids that were changed regularly. Used replacement had 25k on it when I put it in, so roughly 260k trouble free miles.:)